Please Tell Me About Royal

mamaofami

There are at least 2 threads on the main page about the Royal and many, many detailed threads about her because she is so new....so new that she does not need a dry docking. The princess website has videos and details about this very new ship.

I have friends considering sailing the Royal in May to the Baltic. Can anyone please tell me about the ship? How many passengers, (3,600) conditions, (New) age, (first cruise Spring 2013) last drydock, (none) ect. Any info wold be helpful. Thank you.

See above. Search the cruise Critic Boards. Lots of information both positive and negative has be posted.

By the way, the Royal is only scheduled to do one Baltic Cruise in 2015 on June 14th from Southampton. It is the new sister ship Regal Princess that is in the Baltic for the Summer.

Edited by sknight

Hey Marc (Chrysalis). We did the whale watching in St. Lucia with you a few years back. I'm setting up one like yours thru Hackshaws. I'd like to get some info from you about how to handle this. Please email me at jayhawkerkc@yahoo dot com. Thanks, Al

If you have never been on another Princess ship you will like it. If you have been on any of the older Princess ships you will think this ship is a step down from the older ships.
Not necessarily! The buffet on the Royal and Regal are hands down the best of any Princess ship. We usually eat in the Dining Room but almost never on our cruise on the Regal. I felt access to the Princess Theater was better, and they have added side stairways on the Regal. There are some issues, but we hope yo take a Caribbean cruise on the Regal after the first of the year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you have never been on another Princess ship you will like it. If you have been on any of the older Princess ships you will think this ship is a step down from the older ships.

Dang, I hope you're wrong on this. I'm on Regal next month and have cruised once with Princess on Crown and was not impressed. Was hoping a newer ship would be nicer.

Dang, I hope you're wrong on this. I'm on Regal next month and have cruised once with Princess on Crown and was not impressed. Was hoping a newer ship would be nicer.

The Regal will be different than the Crown. Whether you will be impressed or not, no one here can tell you. We all have opinions. That is all we can give.

The person you quoted gave you his opinion. Mine is different. The ship is impressive to me. I have been on the Royal and enjoyed my cruise. I will sail the Regal tomorrow and share my opinions upon my return.

:D

we have been on the grand princess and found her to be old tired and old fashioned. Sailing on the royal next year and chose her because she is new and hopefully more modern in style. The food looks much better too as the food on the grand was very dry and over cooked and we were not in the least impressed with the food.

we have been on the grand princess and found her to be old tired and old fashioned. Sailing on the royal next year and chose her because she is new and hopefully more modern in style. The food looks much better too as the food on the grand was very dry and over cooked and we were not in the least impressed with the food.

They corrected themselves, and meant the Regal:)

I have friends considering sailing the Royal in May to the Baltic. Can anyone please tell me about the ship? How many passengers, conditions, age, last drydock, ect. Any info wold be helpful. Thank you.

If your friends are first time cruisers, then they could try the Royal because they won't know any better.

If they have experienced the Gorgeous Grand Class on Princess, or the BEAUTIFUL Diamond (before it was destroyed), or the Island (which will be destroyed next year), they MIGHT just enjoy / be unaware of the Royal with all it's dysfunctional, nonsensical design idiocy.

Quite frankly, I feel that Princess is losing it's way and the Royal is it's show piece to get there.

Speaking of nonsensical idiocy, it's posts like that which contribute absolutely nothing towards the conversation.

There are just as many Cruise Critic members who: 1) have also sailed on the various other classes of Princess Cruises ships, 2) who have been around for quite some time and are multiple repeat cruises in all of these classes of ships, 3) and like what they have seen in the Royal-class and have booked new cruises on these ships; as those who have sailed on the new class of ship and either didn't like it or prefer the older ships. There are even Princess Cruises clientele on this forum whose favorite class of ship is not the Royal-class, yet are booked again and again on those new ships.

I for one am not a first time cruiser, having only sailed 50 cruises total, and enjoyed the Royal-class over the Grand-class, the latter which I now find to be dated, claustrophobic, and generally quite crowded, all conditions which for the most part I did not observe on the Royal Princess during the two weeks I was aboard her.

There is no right or wrong opinion about ship design, however, it is just your opinion.

And I'm sorry to hear that your cruise (forgive me, but when was it that you personally experienced these new ships?) on this new Royal-class wasn't your 'cup of tea'. Enjoy the other Princess Cruises offerings while you still can, and while they're still around. With what we are now seeing in all mass market new-build large-ship designs you can fully expect that they will emulate current trends, i.e. what we are seeing on the new Royal-class, at least for the foreseeable future...like it or not.

"D

We've sailed on the Royal and the Regal and loved them both. The lack of a center staircase is a bit of an annoyance since we typically stay mid-ship, but that is far outweighed by the superior food, entertainment and special features of these beautiful ships. The buffet is fabulous and much better than the layout and food on the Grand class ships. There are also many more dining options on these ships. We found the food in the MDR on both the Royal and Regal to be among the best that we've experienced on any of our cruises, not just those on Princess. I love the expanded piazza, the walking track and the adult retreat pool. That being said, there is no perfect ship and everyone has their favorites for different reasons. The only way to know how you'll like a ship is to book a cruise and see for yourself.

If your friends are first time cruisers, then they could try the Royal because they won't know any better.

If they have experienced the Gorgeous Grand Class on Princess, or the BEAUTIFUL Diamond (before it was destroyed), or the Island (which will be destroyed next year), they MIGHT just enjoy / be unaware of the Royal with all it's dysfunctional, nonsensical design idiocy.

Quite frankly, I feel that Princess is losing it's way and the Royal is it's show piece to get there.

It's one thing to say you didn't like the Royal and state the reasons why, it's another to go off on a diatribe without giving specifics. You didn't like the Royal - that's ok. I did. I've been on her twice; once for 26 days. I'm a cruise veteran on many different lines. I know better (to borrow your text). I've cruised on Regent (many times), Cunard, Royal Caribbean, Disney, etc. She's a lovely ship with some flaws. There's nothing nonsensical or idiotic about her.

One persons opinion, I really like the new ships, naturally their are pros & cons but the much larger public areas & more choices are a bigger plus tn the larger balconies.