Luggage in the drink!!

JF - retired RRT

Jeanette, thanks for relating this unfortunate experience. It made us think twice about not taking more care when packing. Along with some other discussions about luggage sitting in the rain on an airport tarmac and luggage getting soaked clear through and someone having clothes ruined because someone had a liquid in a container that broke in another bag and soaked into theirs. We now use the vacuum seal bags for our clothes.

As far as what to do on the way home, just force out as much air as possible before fully closing the bag. Not as much of a worry about wrinkles on the dirty clothes on the way home. :cool:

BTW, hope you guys get a decent settlement from Berkley. And, glad to have met you guys on the 2013 Hawaii sailing on the Star.

Well, yeah, NOW we have bags. Of course, it will never happen again.

The problem is that many items can';t just be replaced.

Thinking that packing at least our difficult to replace items in a vacuum bag is more important than just to save space. Think that we'll be sure to do that for our upcoming...

And that should ward off Murphy also ;)

On my last non-cruise vacation, I packed my clothes in a couple of jumbo zip locs mainly because I was worried about picking up bed bugs from hotels. Packed my clothes without overstuffing, zipped leaving 2 inch opening, and rolled the bag to get the air out before sealing. Didn't encounter bugs but created a lot more space in my luggage and separated my clean and dirty clothes. Toiletries are always in separate small zip locs since bottles tend to leak from pressure changes in aircraft holds. Can find these bags at Walmart or dollar stores.

On my last non-cruise vacation, I packed my clothes in a couple of jumbo zip locs mainly because I was worried about picking up bed bugs from hotels. Packed my clothes without overstuffing, zipped leaving 2 inch opening, and rolled the bag to get the air out before sealing. Didn't encounter bugs but created a lot more space in my luggage and separated my clean and dirty clothes. Toiletries are always in separate small zip locs since bottles tend to leak from pressure changes in aircraft holds. Can find these bags at Walmart or dollar stores.

I was told by an experienced traveller to ALWAYS have your toiletries and medication in your carry on luggage. Oh, and a complete change of clothes in case someone upends a drink all over you.

Crochetcruise :cool:

Similar (sort of) thing happened to us on Disney Cruise. We came back from a day at Castaway Cay at sunset in our damp bathing suits... to find that our cabin was flooded from the Ceiling on down! (Some A/C backup line burst!). EVERYTHING was hanging in the closet and flooded. (and my dirty laundry was in mesh travel bag in the closet too)

It was the last night of the cruise- we missed all activities & had to walk around in spa robes!

Disney laundered all of our clothes, and gave us a $150 OBC.

Flying home from Argentina after a cruise I saw something I had never seen before. At the airport before checking luggage, they were selling a service.

Wrapping your luggage bags in some kind of bright colored plastic wrap. Looked like all the Argentine(and other SA) passengers were doing this but we didn't. Don't remember what the cost was but remember it was cheap.

Very common in Mexico and further south.

The plastic wrap is for theft prevention.

I've watched baggage being loaded on ships and usually see a "cage" filled with luggage being lifted into the ship via a forklift directly into a door. There is not a lot of room between the dock and the ship, so I guess some may fall out of the cage and slip between the ship and dock.

Has anyone seen how this has happened? Just curious.

I've watched baggage being loaded on ships and usually see a "cage" filled with luggage being lifted into the ship via a forklift directly into a door. There is not a lot of room between the dock and the ship' date=' so I guess some may fall out of the cage and slip between the ship and dock.

Has anyone seen how this has happened? Just curious.[/quote']

On Dec 19th Star Princess cruise round-trip from SF the people next to us saw it happen. The entire cage went in the ocean! Hard sided luggage was floating the other luggage and cage sank. Apparently they were not able to "fish" 2 pieces of luggage out but did get another 9 or 10 out.

The luggage situation that day was horrible. The dock workers walked off early afternoon so instead of sailing a 5pm all of the luggage was not delivered until 11 or 12 pm when we sailed. No reason for the delay was given just updates that luggage will be arriving but late. It was the next day we were told what had happened. Everyone was sure it was their luggage that had gone in the ocean. At 8 pm I called PS desk to see if our luggage was there wet and they asked for a description and came back to say ours was not one of the wet bags.

Surprised to hear luggage is still going in the water in San Pedro even with the nets. Years ago so much luggage was going in the water they started using the nets.

Edited by BJS

...Surprised to hear luggage is still going in the water in San Pedro even with the nets. Years ago so much luggage was going in the water they started using the nets.

One good thing about dining becoming so casual on cruise ships is that I can now get by with just carryons for most cruises, as long as the ship has self-serve laundromats.

• 1 month later...

Finally got a check from the cruise insurance. Our claim was for $752.66. The baggage handling company sent $196.11, the cruise insurance sent $498.42 for a total of $694.53.

Not a complete disaster. We "lost" $58.13.

I wonder how they decide what percentage they do not reimburse or what item wasn't worth what you paid for it?

Oh well, better than if we didn't have any insurance:eek:

Finally got a check from the cruise insurance. Our claim was for $752.66. The baggage handling company sent $196.11, the cruise insurance sent $498.42 for a total of $694.53.

I wonder how they decide what percentage they do not reimburse or what item wasn't worth what you paid for it?

Glad to hear you got it all settled and thanks for letting us know the outcome! Another reason we don't travel without insurance.

Most lost clothing insurance depreciates depending on when they are purchased. Many people over-inflate the value hoping to come out "whole".

Glad to hear you got it all settled and thanks for letting us know the outcome! Another reason we don't travel without insurance.

Most lost clothing insurance depreciates depending on when they are purchased. Many people over-inflate the value hoping to come out "whole".

That's what I get for being honest.:p

Same way on most insurance. It only covers depreciated value, unless the policy specifically says replacement value. Same with home policies.

I understand your frustration but, based on my experience, you came out pretty well. I have found that insurance companies often pay out a small fraction of the claim on depreciated value policies. In other words, what a second-hand store might sell your items for, not what you paid for them or it will cost you to replace them :(.

Sorry for your problems and thanks for sharing. I would be very upset. I have friends who have had their luggage left out in the rain and everything was soaked. Not as bad as having it fall into icky port water.

Maureen

I've started lining my suitcases with dry cleaning plastic when I pack. It wouldn't do anything if my luggage ended up submerged, but it does help with rain situations. I've had damp clothes before, both from boarding a ship and luggage sitting on the tarmac in the rain.

After my soft side sat on the Tarmac on top of the luggage cart in the rain, I arrived in Madrid with a red silk shirt that ran red dye on everything. Amazing how far it could go.

Didn't wash out, either. Now everything goes in giant blue Ziplocs. Would have worked the time I packed two cans of Diet Coke, too. They developed pin holes in flight, resulting in a soaked pile of clothing, paperbacks, etc.

For a long time I've been using Space Bags when once I've inserted my clothes and sealed the end I just roll it up to get the air out and finally sit on it to remove any air still left. I could also use a vacuum which you can ask to borrow from your cabin steward. These bags offer protection from anything getting inside.

Tom:)