Less than 7 days and it is not a cruise!

Trevor Fountain

It's interesting to see those who think that shorter cruises are somehow geared toward those with less money.

Just looking at NCL's offerings for next month, I could grab a 7 day sailing on the Jewel starting at $259 per person. That works out to $37 per day in revenue for NCL.

The OP's position is that if I were to take that cruise that I should get full Latitude credit for it.

Right next to that cruise in the listing is a 2 day CTN on the Breakaway. This cruise starts at $269 per person...a mere $134.50 per day in revenue for NCL.

The OP's position is that this cruise should only result in 1/2 Latitude credit since it is less than 7 days in length.

It might be JMHO, but I can't see a good clear business reason for saying that NCL should reward a person giving them $37 per day in revenue at twice the rate that they reward a person giving them $134.50 per day in revenue.

Interesting post. Another thing I wonder along these lines is if actual revenue determines Latitudes point accrual at all?

For example, 7 night cruise - passenger A sails in an inside cabin, passenger B sails in a suite - do they both accumulate the same number of points?

Interesting point. I don't think the OP's concern affects everyone very much. Many short cruises or a few long ones....NCL counts days, not cruises. We achieved platinum with a few long back to backs on NCL. We have a Celebrity cruise scheduled. They overhauled their system for just the reason OP mentioned....people had many short cruises and achieved Elite quickly on not many days as they counted cruises. Counting days is fine as is the new Celebrity method where the more expensive cabins get more points. I believe suites get more points on NCL as well.

Which is better?

a) 21 cruises of 3 nights each

b) 9 cruises of 7 nights each

c) 3 cruise of 21 nights each

The numbers are all equal - 63 nights, 63 points. What nobody knows is how much each of those people spent. Nor does it matter.

It just does not matter. This is a silly, useless thread.

And, as mentioned the OP is not a regular on NCL anyways.

Post removed. Just too silly.

For what it is worth, I saw the post and agreed with your thoughts.

This whole thread is silly. I should not have allowed myself to get sucked into the OP's comments.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

If you want to call something silly, how about those who crow about the loyalty programs of the other cruise lines and how much better they are.

All loyalty programs have different items, and some may be more important to you than others. That does not make one program better or worse than any other.

They are all designed to lure us to that particular line.

If you want to call something silly, how about those who crow about the loyalty programs of the other cruise lines and how much better they are.

All loyalty programs have different items, and some may be more important to you than others. That does not make one program better or worse than any other.

They are all designed to lure us to that particular line.

I don't think comparison is silly, especially for people like me who happen to be members of a variety of loyalty programs. Honestly, even though I'm only Diamond on RCI/Elite on Celebrity, I feel like I get far more than being Platinum on NCL.

If you do a side-by-side comparison of Carnival, RCI, and NCL loyalty program benefits, you'd see there is quite a bit of an overlap. There are more similarities than differences. For me, comparison is a legitimate way of finding shortcomings that cruise lines may wish to address. NCL provides probably the least in the terms of benefits for their passengers, and I would love for them to match some of the better perks that their comparable mass-market competitors offer. The more they compete with each other for repeaters, the more I personally benefit ;)

Maybe not so much to lure us, but to retain us as frequent cruisers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

The rewards program is designed to lure.

The cruise experience is designed to retain.

After all, if the NCL experience isn't enough to keep you coming back, a free bag of laundry isn't going to make a HUGE difference.

I always thought you built your standing by the number of days that you cruised not the number of cruises.

Ten cents is still ten cents whether you have 10 pennies, 2 nickles or one dime. What does it matter if it all works out the same. Maybe I have to take 20 three days cruises to reach the same level that someone else reaches by sailing 2 cruises in a haven. But at the end of the day, everyone has fairly earned their status.

I don't think comparison is silly, especially for people like me who happen to be members of a variety of loyalty programs. Honestly, even though I'm only Diamond on RCI/Elite on Celebrity, I feel like I get far more than being Platinum on NCL.

If you do a side-by-side comparison of Carnival, RCI, and NCL loyalty program benefits, you'd see there is quite a bit of an overlap. There are more similarities than differences. For me, comparison is a legitimate way of finding shortcomings that cruise lines may wish to address. NCL provides probably the least in the terms of benefits for their passengers, and I would love for them to match some of the better perks that their comparable mass-market competitors offer. The more they compete with each other for repeaters, the more I personally benefit ;)

Does RCI give you a meal and wine in a specialty restaurant ? NCL does that. Princess gives me internet, laundry, liquor and sodas. Who else does that ?

What is to be gained by comparisons except to try to bolster your opinion of your favorite cruise line ? I don't need to compare. I am happy with the amenities each one gives me.

Each line charges different rates, so maybe you are paying for those things on whatever line you sail.

Edited by swedish weave

Does RCI give you a meal and wine in a specialty restaurant ? NCL does that. Princess gives me internet, laundry, liquor and sodas. Who else does that ?

What is to be gained by comparisons except to try to bolster your opinion of your favorite cruise line ? I don't need to compare. I am happy with the amenities each one gives me.

A lot of lines offer free internet packages. I get them through my membership with Celebrity and Cunard's loyalty programs. Carnival and Cunard also give out a free specialty restaurant meal. I think the vast majority of lines offer free or heavily discounted laundry too.

Your assumption that the aim of my comparison is to reinforce my opinion of my favorite cruise line is unfounded. NCL, despite having the weakest loyalty program, is my favorite to sail with. I don't enjoy RCI and Celebrity as much, but I love their loyalty programs. If NCL wasn't my favorite, would I really care about whether or not they matched the benefits given by these other lines? If I didn't care, then I just wouldn't sail with NCL :o

Though I have done many cruises I have never sailed NCL. One of the main reasons is I don't like anything less than 14 days. Many of the itineraries seem to be short cruises.

I know where Trevor is coming from, and at least I can see much of it is tongue in cheek, but over here a mini cruise, or party cruise as we sometimes refer to them, is not really classed as a cruise. It's a sampler. Often used as a trial to see if you might like to undertake a full cruise.

Now clearly you (N.Americans) are far more passionate about these type of cruises, and that's fine.

I'm new to posting here, but have been reading for about a week now, and some folks really need to take a chill pill, and don't take stuff like this too seriously.

There's a lot more strife in the world than getting worked up about postings on a cruise forum. After all, we are privileged to be taking such wonderful holidays.

[quote name='Trevor Fountain']
I'd find it pretty embarrassing to declare I'd done fifty cruises if many were just short trips.
.[/QUOTE]

Just so we are all on the same page, your local ferry ride is not considered a mini cruise to anyone here.