Just off the Breeze, won't do a FWD balcony again

belles

Maybe it was the location but oh my. The first couple of days the seas seemed rough. Even the CD commented it was rough seas. Anyway, we had 2 balcony cabins on deck 7. We booked only about 4 weeks prior. We always get balcony cabins that can be opened and made into one balcony.

We had 7215 & 7219, it was awful. We heard every bump constantly. Sounded like we were hitting something. Also both cabins are right next to the bridge. At night, we like to sit on the balcony and read while the little ones are sleeping. We couldn't do that, the lights don't turn on. We were told it was because the bridge was there and it would make it a problem for navigating! Last thing which we made us call guest services is, we had standing water on our balcony every day. We couldn't sit out on the balcony without using all the towels to clean up the water. We had the room steward come by and they cleaned it up in the afternoon and it was back by dinner. It wasn't raining, there were no drains and no one could explain where the water was coming from.

We didn't pay for a balcony to have standing water on it or no lights, we called guest services and on day 3 were moved to deck 9. It was a wonderful cruise after that.

We were on the Breeze just a couple of weeks ago about as forward as you can be on Spa Deck 12, no problems. We never use the light on the balcony but it has been reported here they indeed will not come after a certain time at night. We always thought the light through the window was enough.

In rough seas I don't find forward to be more rough though being closer to where the water breaks against the ship could be a little louder. Just was never a concern I guess. Glad you enjoyed the rest of the trip.

Edited by Tampa8

Sorry to hear about your rough start! You sound like me, but I'm like, won't ever do aft again. We had rough seas the week before your sailing (on Conquest), but had the issue in an aft balcony. Never again! It'd have to be a free cruise for me to ever stay anywhere other than a midship cabin again in my life. We felt every single movement. Honestly, it felt like the room was going in circles. Front, back, side to side. I couldn't read our Fun Times in our stateroom because I would get queasy like I do when trying to read in a car. Putting on make up almost did me in one night. Not only was there movement but some strange banging noises as well. I thought the ship was breaking down.

Unfortunately, we didn't have the same luck going to guest services. I was told the ship was sold out. I'm not sure if it was or not. It was my fault for not researching cabins better. We booked with plenty of time for me to snag a midship room. I just thought, "Oooh, a bigger balcony!" And took it. We had l-shaped cabins with larger balconies.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Maybe it was the location but oh my. The first couple of days the seas seemed rough. Even the CD commented it was rough seas. Anyway, we had 2 balcony cabins on deck 7. We booked only about 4 weeks prior. We always get balcony cabins that can be opened and made into one balcony.

We had 7215 & 7219, it was awful. We heard every bump constantly. Sounded like we were hitting something. Also both cabins are right next to the bridge. At night, we like to sit on the balcony and read while the little ones are sleeping. We couldn't do that, the lights don't turn on. We were told it was because the bridge was there and it would make it a problem for navigating! Last thing which we made us call guest services is, we had standing water on our balcony every day. We couldn't sit out on the balcony without using all the towels to clean up the water. We had the room steward come by and they cleaned it up in the afternoon and it was back by dinner. It wasn't raining, there were no drains and no one could explain where the water was coming from.

We didn't pay for a balcony to have standing water on it or no lights, we called guest services and on day 3 were moved to deck 9. It was a wonderful cruise after that.

The bridge controls the balcony lights on all those whose lights will interfere with navigation.

Using them is not an option.

We were on the Breeze the week before the OP and had a Cove Balcony, 2258. It was great! There was a little spray from the ocean at times but we saw flying fish from our balcony which was fun. I sat out on the balcony and ate my room service breakfast, then at night we would have a cocktail out on the balcony. The floor of the balcony was damp most of the time but the chair seats were fine.

We heard some noises of the ship but nothing that concerned us.

I'm glad that the OP was able to enjoy the rest of their cruise.

We always book a cabin as far forward and low as possaable:eek: We love to feel the movement and the ship maybe a little spray makes you realize you are out to sea:cool: A little motion of the ocean will put you right to sleep:)

We were on the Breeze the week before the OP and had a Cove Balcony, 2258. It was great! There was a little spray from the ocean at times but we saw flying fish from our balcony which was fun. I sat out on the balcony and ate my room service breakfast, then at night we would have a cocktail out on the balcony. The floor of the balcony was damp most of the time but the chair seats were fine.

We heard some noises of the ship but nothing that concerned us.

I'm glad that the OP was able to enjoy the rest of their cruise.

We have our first balcony in a few weeks, an aft on the dream. This is what I'm excited for ... I'm hoping to see flying fish, eat and read, relax. I don't care if I get wet ... it's better than sitting on my couch at home!

Sorry you had a bad start to your trip We pick the same cabin every cruise, the very first cabin on the floor, 7202. I love to feel a little motion at night when I am laying down, puts me right to sleep. I've never noticed it during the day. Never had wet balcony either. Thinking, maybe runoff from them spraying off the Lido? No lights are not a problem, I like to relax in the dark or I have used a small book light to read. This cruise I have a back lit kindle, so I'm set. We did have room 8202 once. We could see into the bridge and every morning while we were having our breakfast and coffee the captain would come over and wave.

I prefer 7202, because we are directly under the bridge and we get all shade ( the sun and I don't get along all the time) and no rain either, unless its coming sideways. The bridge blocks both to the balcony.

We pick the same area on the lido forward, port side for every ship. Love the walk out access for everything and being up high. I just don't feel the ride is different from our days on Fantasy class cabins all over those ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You were wise to complain and use the right words so you could be moved to a better location, and possibly a better stateroom. I am glad it worked out for you. We will be cruising with Carnival for the first time in just four-days time. We have an AFT balcony on Deck 8. We have always loved the AFT balconies. Yes, we have experienced a vibration that seems to be constant, but it has never hindered our stay. It was a soft kind of vibration. On the lower decks, I imagine the noises might be louder, but I always shoot for Deck 8 and higher. On other cruiselines, we have been under the pool deck and have never experienced any noise. It is my preferred location, but those rooms fill up fast. Wish me luck on this cruise. I hope it is all I am wishing for...

Complaining that the balcony lights don't come on near the bridge is like the people who complain on airplanes that the seats in front of exit rows don't recline.

There is a safety reason for it. It isn't a conspiracy to screw the passengers. The bridge officers need the rhodopsin that their eyes generate at night to give them their "night vision". Light burns the rhodopsin away. When you sit in a dark room for a while then all of a sudden turn on a light and you start squinting -- that's your rhodopsin burning away.

Edited by stobe1

If I had my druthers, no balcony lights would work at night. It is so annoying to try to enjoy our balcony in the dark watching the stars and have the neighbors lights on and they aren't even out there. We have had their lights on all night and we like to keep our drape/curtain open a little so that we get some sunlight in the morning, With the lights on, we can't do that because our cabin is too bright.

I realize some people don't realize they have turned the lights on, but those who do and leave them on drive me crazy. End of rant!

If I had my druthers, no balcony lights would work at night. It is so annoying to try to enjoy our balcony in the dark watching the stars and have the neighbors lights on and they aren't even out there. We have had their lights on all night and we like to keep our drape/curtain open a little so that we get some sunlight in the morning, With the lights on, we can't do that because our cabin is too bright.

I realize some people don't realize they have turned the lights on, but those who do and leave them on drive me crazy. End of rant!

That drove me batty on my last cruise, neighbors never ever turned their light off. I too like to leave the drapes open just a tad to then let sunlight in for the morning. No such luck without having their light shining all evening. Personally I think that is very rude to not be considerate of those beside you when you aren't even on your balcony. Not to mention no need of it being on all day long anyway.

Complaining that the balcony lights don't come on near the bridge is like the people who complain on airplanes that the seats in front of exit rows don't recline.

There is a safety reason for it. It isn't a conspiracy to screw the passengers. The bridge officers need the rhodopsin that their eyes generate at night to give them their "night vision". Light burns the rhodopsin away. When you sit in a dark room for a while then all of a sudden turn on a light and you start squinting -- that's your rhodopsin burning away.

I did look at the deck plan when we got these cabins but did not notice the bridge was there! I still don't think it's on the deck plan. I understand the safety of not using the lights, I got it. I just wished I would have known. At no time did I feel it was a conspiracy!

My main issue was standing water on the balcony, no one could explain it and there was no drain.

As far as airplane seats in the exit row.....I work on airplanes, most do not know which recline and which don't. I let them know but never treat them as they are uneducated.

This cruise was great just hated not being able to use the balcony for 3 of the 6 days.

It just goes to show you that it is just a matter of taste, likes and dislikes. We love to be as high and forward as we can get. On most ships, this is Panorama deck. We are booked in 1023, Panorama deck for our upcoming cruise.

Roger that! We stayed in 9200 on the Freedom. Grand Scenic Oceanview. It gets no farther forward than that. Loved it. The motion didn't bother us. Put everyone sound to sleep.

I did look at the deck plan when we got these cabins but did not notice the bridge was there! I still don't think it's on the deck plan. I understand the safety of not using the lights, I got it. I just wished I would have known. At no time did I feel it was a conspiracy!

My main issue was standing water on the balcony, no one could explain it and there was no drain.

As far as airplane seats in the exit row.....I work on airplanes, most do not know which recline and which don't. I let them know but never treat them as they are uneducated.

This cruise was great just hated not being able to use the balcony for 3 of the 6 days.

That makes 2 of us ! Small fraternity.