NCL, Please Bring Back Longer Winter Cruises!

Mrs. Squirrel

It is perhaps not all that simple 10-14 day cruises are usually composed of a

majority of sea days while those that are 6-8 days tilt to more port days and

less sea. Thus long haul cruises would be i.e. a 14 day Panama Canal full

transit; a mainland Hawaii circuit; a transatlantic trip*** or a Mediterranean

trip and then there are South America trips or Australia-New Zealand.

The common winter escapes are the Mexican Riviera; Eastern/Western and

Southern Caribbean and New York Bermuda. The solution is to take B2B

cruises of combinations of the above.

*** Transatlantic trips in the winter are not all that common more like a

positioning of ship from one market to another in fair weather.

Multi-day cruises are apt to be seasonal or ship positioning.

There is not going to be a great deal of these offerings and then mostly in the

autumn or spring.

Sorry about off-topic, but since the previous post is an excellent example of the problem, I'd just like to tell to don't-use-real-name that on the internet (just like in word processing etc) you do not need to use linebreaks (using RETURN/ENTER-button) after each line - unlike when old typewriters were used.

So please, please, please, use linebreaks only between the paragraphs. The machines will automatically make your text flow correctly on different width screens, You do not need to worry about it when writing.

For example, this is how your post shows now on a mobile device (the web interface on a mobile screen would be similar) - needless to say, compared to OP's post (that doesn't have extra linebreaks) it is almost unreadable. :(

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417944202.020516.jpg.7283e158812b655adf3de975165350b7.jpg

Now that Carnival has announced they are expanding itineraries to include 10-14 day cruises, do you think NCL will bring back their long winter cruises?! Please, please, please? :confused:

Some of those itineraries are great, aren't they? Contrary to another poster, they are not a bundle of sea days.

It is perhaps not all that simple 10-14 day cruises are usually composed of a

majority of sea days while those that are 6-8 days tilt to more port days and

less sea. Thus long haul cruises would be i.e. a 14 day Panama Canal full

transit; a mainland Hawaii circuit; a transatlantic trip*** or a Mediterranean

trip and then there are South America trips or Australia-New Zealand.

The common winter escapes are the Mexican Riviera; Eastern/Western and

Southern Caribbean and New York Bermuda. The solution is to take B2B

cruises of combinations of the above.

*** Transatlantic trips in the winter are not all that common more like a

positioning of ship from one market to another in fair weather.

Multi-day cruises are apt to be seasonal or ship positioning.

There is not going to be a great deal of these offerings and then mostly in the

autumn or spring.

New York to Bermuda as a winter cruise?

Now that Carnival has announced they are expanding itineraries to include 10-14 day cruises, do you think NCL will bring back their long winter cruises?! Please, please, please? :confused:

We love the longer Winter cruises from NY. We did the 12 day in January on the Breakaway, and are doing that again next month as well as January of 2016. Of course we also do the 9 - 10 day in January on the GEM as well....just to escape the cold of Maine for as long as we can.

The 12 day in January of 2016 has been missing off the Norwegian website for about a month now, but we are still booked....and it is being sold on TA sites. It would be wonderful if they were extending that to 14 days :) but I'm sure those on the weekend cruises wouldn't be happy.

We love the longer Winter cruises from NY. We did the 12 day in January on the Breakaway, and are doing that again next month as well as January of 2016. Of course we also do the 9 - 10 day in January on the GEM as well....just to escape the cold of Maine for as long as we can.

The 12 day in January of 2016 has been missing off the Norwegian website for about a month now, but we are still booked....and it is being sold on TA sites. It would be wonderful if they were extending that to 14 days :) but I'm sure those on the weekend cruises wouldn't be happy.

I wish NCL would consider adding a few Western Carribean itineraries. In 2016 Royal's Anthem of the Seas is offering several sailings 12 night R/T from Cape Liberty NJ to Caymen Islands, Ocho Rios, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Laberdee.

I agree with the OP. 10-day and 11-day cruises would be enough to extend it to a couple more ports and add one or two more sea days. The 21 day cycle of weekend departures could also make it more convenient for people who might want to arrive/stay in Miami for an extra few days to finish out their typical 2 weeks holiday.

7 days is too short for us now. I won't even consider it. We're just getting comfortable when we have to pack up and leave. By about day 10 I'm starting to really miss my dog, so by then I'm ready to leave.

Edited by rajones007

X - X - X

X - X - X deleted needless repetition.

I don't own and will not own one of the mobile devices.

My format is to print 10-15 words and return to run

another line. These W-I-D-E--S-C-R-E-E-N modes of

running text into the right margin - my vision gets

lost half across the screen and like BAD GPS I have

to return to recalibrate where the heck I'm at. The

method I use is calibrated for a rapid scan straight

down the left edge of the screen instead of having

my eyes take a detour through a windows amusement

park.

Note: You are not the only one to offer an alternative

but in my 25 k postings across several dozen forums

I am not about to change horses in midstream to the

next generation technology. So forum readers you will

have to live with me until dinosaur window computers

die from unnatural causes.

One thing for sure there was never one common format

or Roberts Rules of Order for computer written text.

And Yes you are right - formatted text looks awful on

one of those mobile devices - but then I mentioned early

on I don't want one of those things especially when in

a few years they are going to be outmoded outdated and

replaced with a star trek lapel pin computer.

"Beam me up Scotty" and away I go ! LOL !

7 days is too short for us now. I won't even consider it. We're just getting comfortable when we have to pack up and leave. By about day 10 I'm starting to really miss my dog, so by then I'm ready to leave.

I totally agree. We have a dog and two cats, and I get that way.

I am not asking NCL to do anything new, just to return to the longer, winter cruises we've loved and enjoyed for the last several years. :) I really don't want to change lines. We love freestyle!

Some of those itineraries are great, aren't they? Contrary to another poster, they are not a bundle of sea days.

Because we are a snorkeling family, I am especially interested in the one going to all three of the ABC islands on one cruise: Aruba, Bonaire and Curracao.

Only problem is, I'd rather it be on an NCL ship, lol!

Edited by Mrs. Squirrel

New York to Bermuda as a winter cruise?

We did one 3 Years ago, 10/31-11/6. Snowed the Day before and started Snowing the night we got home. Only "Bad" day was the last "Sea" Day. Pitching Decks and 60+ MPH winds reminded me why I joined the Army.... Anyway that was "Late Fall" and it was cold sail out and return...

Because we are a snorkeling family, I am especially interested in the one going to all three of the ABC islands on one cruise: Aruba, Bonaire and Curracao.

Only problem is, I'd rather it be on an NCL ship, lol!

Hehe, I think there's just 1 NCL cruise a year that does that itinerary or at least two of those islands!

edit: NCL Dawn, October 30 2015;

DAY DATE PORT

Fri Oct 30 Boston, MA

Sat Oct 31 At Sea

Sun Nov 1 At Sea

Mon Nov 2 At Sea

Tue Nov 3 San Juan, Puerto Rico

Wed Nov 4 At Sea

Thu Nov 5 Bonaire

Fri Nov 6 Curacao

Sat Nov 7 Aruba

Sun Nov 8 At Sea

Mon Nov 9 Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Tue Nov 10 Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands

Wed Nov 11 Cozumel, Mexico

Thu Nov 12 At Sea

Fri Nov 13 New Orleans, LA

Edited by FreestyleNovice
found one! :)

Hehe, I think there's just 1 NCL cruise a year that does that itinerary or at least two of those islands!

Nope, there are two reposition cruises a year that visit Aruba and Curacao and also Pearl does some Southern Caribbean cruises from Miami (Dec 11 & Dec 22 this year, Mar 26 2015) and Getaway also (Oct 31 - Nov 12, 2015).

So a bit more than a single cruise a year. :)

While I love longer cruises the reality is that most people may not have the vacation days needed to take longer cruises. I currently only get 15 paid vacation days a year and the 7 day cruises that run Sat-Sat or Sun-Sun allow us to take a relaxing vacation and use only 5 vacation days.

I've been able to take longer cruises only when the cruises overlap other holidays (Labor Day, Memorial Day, etc). My guess is that NCL and other cruise lines balance their longer cruise options with the 7-day cruises. To do longer cruises you need to have sufficient vacation time or be retired or (for many) not have kids in school.

While I love longer cruises the reality is that most people may not have the vacation days needed to take longer cruises. I currently only get 15 paid vacation days a year and the 7 day cruises that run Sat-Sat or Sun-Sun allow us to take a relaxing vacation and use only 5 vacation days.

I've been able to take longer cruises only when the cruises overlap other holidays (Labor Day, Memorial Day, etc). My guess is that NCL and other cruise lines balance their longer cruise options with the 7-day cruises. To do longer cruises you need to have sufficient vacation time or be retired or (for many) not have kids in school.

Totally agree with you regarding the number of vacation days. However, I think that NCL could be more creative and put together a couple of cruises per year that perhaps start on Friday and disembark on a Sunday thus allowing for 9 or 10 days cruises.

Currently, NCL has too many ships doing the same 7 days western Caribbean itineraries. Why not get creative and do 9 or 10 days cruises.

When we go to the future cruise presentations, the rep always shows how to link different cruises into longer ones....usually involving a TA.

When we were on one TA to Europe for 22 days, combining itineraries, there was a couple who had started two weeks before in the Caribbean. Last year we did a winter 28 days on the Star through the Panama Canal and back. I recommend this one for anyone who wants the longer trip. The ports were great so we had no problem finding different things to do in them the second time around. We did this because we'd had to cancel a cruise on another line which was a combination of two cruises through the canal but going to different ports each way. That line stopped that itinerary but the plus side was 28 days on the Star with then Hotel Director Tony Winkler. One of our best ever cruises!

Nope, there are two reposition cruises a year that visit Aruba and Curacao and also Pearl does some Southern Caribbean cruises from Miami (Dec 11 & Dec 22 this year, Mar 26 2015) and Getaway also (Oct 31 - Nov 12, 2015).

So a bit more than a single cruise a year. :)

correct, boarding the Pearl on Thursday for the 11 day Southern Caribbean. It is offered several times... a few folks on board now are doing the 10 day Eastern and 11 day Southern (21 days total) b2b. Southern Caribbean includes two of the three ABC islands (we will not be stopping in Bonaire). Starting in 2015, the Pearl will be doing round trip 11 day cruises to the Panama Canal (partial transit) cruises from Miami... There are plenty of options...

In Sweden we are lucky and get at least 25 paid vacation days. Since I'm a teacher I can't take that vacation during the winter but I can take vacation but it won't be paid! I will miss 12 days at work for our cruise in February but I just budget for that.

Dunno about NCL Miami 2015 schedule but NYC ports have a couple of 9-14 day cruises on both ships, with at one 21 day on Breakaway. All in the winter both at the start and end on 2015. *shrug*

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

In Sweden we are lucky and get at least 25 paid vacation days. Since I'm a teacher I can't take that vacation during the winter but I can take vacation but it won't be paid! I will miss 12 days at work for our cruise in February but I just budget for that.

As a lecturer in UK I get 48 days:p BUT I can ONLY take that during the College holiday periods:(.

That restricts us the high season sailings: Summer and Christmas mainly. Last 3 years we have found Christmas sailings which fit the holidays:D:D:D.

BTW - I see our paths have crossed - Jade to Ireland in 2009. Got some great video of dolphins on that trip.

Our offices do shut down between Christmas and New Years which is why DH and I are able to do the Pearl 11-day that we have coming up.

I could certainly budget for 12 unpaid days to take a longer vacation, the problem is getting those days approved to take off. If I were to take 12 unpaid days off I'd prefer to knock off one of my bucket-list trips - Australia/New Zealand or an African Safari.

I live in NYC and strongly support more long itineraries from NYC in the cold weather months. RCI really has this down offering varying 10-12 night cruises that allow you to really get down into the Caribbean. As a previous poster noted, next year Anthem of the Seas offers long itineraries to both the Eastern/Southern and Western Caribbean. I know Breakaway has a few in the dead of winter, but should perhaps consider a few more of varying length, IMHO. Someone who can't quite pull 12 nights because of work might be able to pull 9 nights, for example.

At some point it just becomes too cool for the 7 night cruises to the Bahamas. As a result, the cruise fare gets substantially driven down. Good news for people looking for a bargain who just want to get out of town, but not such good news for the cruise line. They'd probably find that they'd do better if they offered a nice mix of 9-12 night itineraries over the coldest winter months!

As a lecturer in UK I get 48 days:p BUT I can ONLY take that during the College holiday periods:(.

That restricts us the high season sailings: Summer and Christmas mainly. Last 3 years we have found Christmas sailings which fit the holidays:D:D:D.

BTW - I see our paths have crossed - Jade to Ireland in 2009. Got some great video of dolphins on that trip.

Is the 48 days you get paid days or do you work more the rest of the year to get thoose days?

The Ireland cruise was very nice but too short!