Woman Medivacted from Breakway Dec. 6

lescas

Below is the link to the article/video, I was told from a friend at home it was on the news. Lets hope she is doing fine.

http://coastguardnews.com/coast-guard-medevacs-woman-from-cruise-ship-norwegian-breakaway-50-miles-off-nc-coast/2014/12/06/

since it was the coast guard, the medevac was free.

thus if you have your own health insurance as everyone should nowadays (ie: Obamacare), I don't think there's a need for 3rd party health insurance for your trip.

Edited by fstuff1

since it was the coast guard, the medevac was free.

thus if you have your own health insurance as everyone should nowadays (ie: Obamacare), I don't think there's a need for 3rd party health insurance for your trip.

My health insurance does give me coverage overseas, but only if I am using an in-network provider. The last thing that I want to do is run around trying to find an in-network provider, so it's much easier to obtain travel insurance and I try to choose a policy that is primary for health. Bottom line is everyone needs to check their individual policy to find out what is covered or not.

While a medevac by the CG is at no cost this does not apply to a medevac from a port, which will cost upwards of $30k, which is another reason that I buy travel insurance.