Wonderful Copenhagen 2015 edition

Look at these route suggestions.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Langeliniekaj+(Midt),+K%C3%B8benhavn/Tivoli,+Vesterbrogade,+K%C3%B8benhavn/@55.6860228,12.5658383,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x465252dda8e3b789:0x177c1078db48f2c3!2m2!1d12.600197!2d55.698501!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652531280f6eaf3:0xd9b50b0db50b27b0!2m2!1d12.568147!2d55.673684!3e2

The Ho/Ho busses stops at both Langelinie and Tivoli.

Danish Viking,

Thanks for taking the time to help everyone out. It is much appreciated by me and everyone else, I'm sure!

We'll be flying into CPH on May 19th after spending a few days in Reykjavik. We'll just be spending one night pre-cruise (3 nights post-cruise). We have 2 rooms booked at Hotel Kong Arthur for the night prior to boarding the Norwegian Star on the 20th. Is there a train that runs from CPH that would drop us off fairly close to our hotel or is a taxi our best option? Thoughts on Hotel Kong Arthur? Options on getting from the hotel to the cruise ship? Will I have a problem paying for a taxi using a US credit card or should I have local currency?

I'm sorry, so many questions...

Jim

Danish Viking,

Thanks for taking the time to help everyone out. It is much appreciated by me and everyone else, I'm sure!

We'll be flying into CPH on May 19th after spending a few days in Reykjavik. We'll just be spending one night pre-cruise (3 nights post-cruise). We have 2 rooms booked at Hotel Kong Arthur for the night prior to boarding the Norwegian Star on the 20th. Is there a train that runs from CPH that would drop us off fairly close to our hotel or is a taxi our best option? Thoughts on Hotel Kong Arthur? Options on getting from the hotel to the cruise ship? Will I have a problem paying for a taxi using a US credit card or should I have local currency?

Jim

not Danish Viking but have you joined our roll call-we are all debating similar questions

6 of us will be staying 3 days precruise in Amsterdam. We are considering a day trip by train to either Antwerpe,Brussels, or Brugges. We are favoring Brugges but have read that it can not be done in 1 day. Any comments or suggestions??

Well I am not the right person to ask that question, try to find a Amsterdam thread in the western Europe section instead, there is at least one person from Amsterdam on these boards that can help you.

Sure I could probably dig up some timetables but this isn't the Copenhagen thread for no reason. :D

But I do now that Bruges requires a shift of train in Brussels so my suggestion is to visit Antwerp instead, I think its s 1-1,5 hour trip from Amsterdam with the high speed train.

Danish Viking,

Jim

Sorry I forgot to answer your questions.

The hotel is in a good location next to the Torvehallerne food marked and Nørreport train/Metro station.

The users of Tripadvisor.com rates the hotel to be number 27 out of greater Copenhagen´s 117 hotels so its good but not great.

http://www.tripadvisor.dk/Hotel_Review-g189541-d232098-Reviews-Hotel_Kong_Arthur-Copenhagen_Zealand.html#REVIEWS

The location is here.

https://www.google.dk/maps/place/Hotel+Kong+Arthur/@55.6834726,12.567987,498m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x4652530678198409:0x612d043b24637499

Both metro line M2 and the Øresundstog towards Nivå or Helsingør will get you to Nørreport station in 15 minutes time.

When getting to the pier you really only have 2 options.

1) getting a taxi to the pier.

2) take a S-train, Øresundstog train or Regional train to Østerport and take either bus 26 to Færgehavn Nord - Unicef or the special bus 26 cruise shuttle.

Busses goes from here.

https://www.google.dk/maps/place/%C3%98sterport+St.,+Sl%C3%B8jfen/@55.693549,12.591225,498m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x465252e0509b6503:0x67f1b40f512f1420

Both the train and bus is valid on the same 24 kroner ticket.

It costs 175 DKK for a 24 hour ticket.

But you can walk in 30 minutes or take bus 26 that only costs 24 DKK each way.

Bus 26 stops at Kongens Nytorv just next to Nyhavn.

Thanks Danish Viking! Is Nyhavn worth visiting? Any suggestions?

If you walk out and take the bus back it could look something like this.

The little mermaid

Amalienborg Palace

Nyhavn with a canal tour

Walk along Strøget pedestrian street.

Take a detour to Rundetaarn (the round tower)

Walk back to Strøget.

If there is time use a few hours in Tivoli or take bus number 26 back to the pier from the town hall square

The bus goes every 10 th minute bus some departures only goes to Færgehavn Nord and Færgehavn Nord-UNICEF and if you take these departures you will give yourself a 500 meter walk back to Langelinie.

The destinations on the bus should either read Langelinie (the cruise ships), Indiakaj or Søndre Frihavn.

If it doesn't go to Langelinie just use the Indiakaj bus stop as its located at the bottom of Langelinie, the bus then turns around in the roundabout and go back.

Well I love taking the train compared to flying.

For me the only advantage of flying is the reduced travel time :D

A schedule could look like this

Departure København H 07:43 with ICE 38 towards Berlin Ostbahnhof

Arrival Hamburg HBF 12:16

Departure Hamburg HBF 12:24 with ICE 77 towards Zürich HB

Arrival Frankfurt HBF 16:00

Between Copenhagen and Hamburg the train boards a ferry so you will get that experience

[YOUTUBE]6Nvh0879Hf0[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Danish viking

Will be in port Aug 31, 2015 on Regal Princess. Do we take the #26 from the pier or is there a "free" shuttle to the Slojfen stop? We'll probably want the City Pass, is it available at a Kiosk close to the bus stop? Thank you for an excellent thread

The shuttle is actually just some extra departures on route 26 that runs between Østerport station, Sløjfen and Oceankaj so this one also costs 24 kroner.

The 24 kroner 2 zone ticket is valid for one hour and can be used in busses, water busses, metro S-train and trains.

It would surprise me if it wasn't possible to buy the City Pass and/or Copenhagen Card at the cruise terminal but I will ask Wonderful Copenhagen or Movia (transport authority) if they know it.

The reason why I'm not totally sure is because Wonderful Copenhagen sells the Copenhagen Card, but it is Movia that sells bus/train tickets and that includes the City Pass.

Wonderful Copenhagen is responsible for the cruise terminals together with the port authority but Movia is responsible for the busses to the cruise terminal so it's a bit of a grey area.

But I will find out and answer in this thread so look back and see if I have responded.

Thanks again DV. I have timetable and map of buses, looks like a great system and very good value. I would be surprised if Princess didn't offer a shuttle with 3,560 passengers that far from city center would tax regular bus service.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Thank you (again) DV. The info on the mobile SMS is very helpful. I do prefer using public transportation for value/convenience. My comment on cruise ship shuttles is that with these bigger ships using a pier so far from town it creates a logistical challenge for passengers who wish to be independent. I've never been to Copenhagen but your info has been invaluable.

Danish Viking We are staying at Hotel Bethel. Do you know what the cost would be to take a taxi to the hotel and from the hotel to the pier? Do taxis accept US credit cards. Any other options of getting to the hotel keeping in mind we each will have one large piece of luggage and one small piece and we can't do a lot of walking steps or steep hills. Thanks for any help you can give us. Iris

Copenhagen is flat as a pancake so you wil find no issues there, the metro from the airport stops at Kongens Nytorv a few 100 meters from your hotel so it should be doable.

This trip will cost you 36 kroner.

A taxi should be in the 250 kroner range from the airport and around 200 to the pier.

We are ending our cruise in Copenhagen on the Serenade of the Seas at the new pier. What is the quickest way of getting to the airport? We have a noon flight to London. Are taxis available and about how much do they cost and how long does it take to get to the airport? Thanks

You mentioned preferring train travel to flying.

We are sailing out of Copenhagen so plan on flying to Oslo, spending a bit there, then possibly train via Goteborg and spending the day or overnight there then on to Copenhagen then a few days there pre cruise.

Have you used the train from Oslo to CPH?

I have seen mixed reviews about the train and the scenery between Oslo and CPH.

Based on your shared knowledge here I would much love your opinion.

Kindly