Allergies - who do you tell?

gooch47

You can enter any allergies in your cruise personalizer. My son has peanut allergies and I entered it there, when we boarded there was a letter in our room that said they had informed the maitre'd. My son never ate in the main dining room with us, so we did not inform the maitre'd directly, but had he been with us I would have let him know as well.

Tell me about it.

All the soups, most of the entrées, just about everything. Last cruise she got hit with really tiny bits of onions in eggs Florentine.

Fortunately her allergic reaction isn't life threatening. Of course, with allergies, the next reaction could be.

My wife has a number of food allergies. When we sit down for dinner (early) we tell the

waiter about my wifes allergies. He or she immediately summons the head waiter and

he takes it from there.

Works every time. If you are somewhere else on the ship,( horizon, IC, Pizzaria, etc)

Be sure to tell your server, what your allergies are.

Greg

I agree. Tell your waitstaff who will bring the Maitre d' over to discuss the allergy and bring menus every night so he can let you know exactly what has onion or you can order something made without onion. My daughter has a shellfish allergy but it's not life threatening. However, it's not fun. I've traveled with a friend who is so allergic to shellfish she carries an epi-pen. It's life-threatening. We've taken long cruises together and the Maitre d' has always been accommodating.

On the first night on our last cruise, when the waiter was going through his recommendations, I casually mentioned my allergy to shellfish. Right away the head waiter was by my side. I assured him I happily avoid all seafood so I'll be fine. But I did appreciate his offer to help.

A few cruises ago, I did serve myself some stir fry in the Horizon. I sat down and saw the little pink things on the plate, and pushed it aside. I put on my comment card that common allergens should be noted on signs by each tray.

This is copied from the Princess website:

"You or your travel consultant must advise Princess in writing of any special diet, allergies or medical needs. Requests must be received no later than 35 days prior to departure for cruises to Alaska, Canada/New England, Caribbean, Hawaii, Mexico, Panama Canal and Coastal Getaways. For all other cruises, requests must be received no later than 65 days prior to departure. Once onboard, please check with the Maitre D' to confirm your request."

I'm allergic to mangos, which are relatively easy to avoid. On our TA on the Ruby, DH signed us up for the Chef's Table and mentioned my allergy to the staff member, they passed that information on to the head waiter in the MDR. He came to see me the first night and let me know that he would bring me the next night's menu so I could ask questions in advance.

Our table mates loved getting a sneak peek at the menus :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am allergic to garlic and onion to a lesser degree. I tell our waiter the first night and he gets the head waiter who tells me what I can eat that night. He also brings me the menu for the next night and I order for the next day, they can almost always make what I want ( provided it is not a pre made item) usually without sauces, which I prefer anyway. If we plan on eating in a specialty restaurant he gets me their menu so I can also order in advance Princess has one chef that does nothing but special requests.

This method even works if you have anytime dining..you just give the waiter your cabin number and they get your order.

If we eat in the buffet, I ask to speak to the chef and find out what is safe to eat that day. I have never had a problem with food on any princess ship

I have never put this in the personalizer and I have never had a problem

Enjoy your cruise.

I agree. Tell your waitstaff who will bring the Maitre d' over to discuss the allergy and bring menus every night

I am allergic to garlic and onion to a lesser degree. I tell our waiter the first night and he gets the head waiter who tells me what I can eat that night. He also brings me the menu for the next night and I order for the next day, they can almost always make what I want ( provided it is not a pre made item) usually without sauces, which I prefer anyway.

On our last two Princess cruises, the task of dealing with dietary needs seems to have been passed from the Maitre d'/Headwaiter to your table waiter.

On both cruises, the waiter would bring the next day's menus and help determine what could be done to meet the needs.

Some of the dinner menus continued to have the notice on the bottom to only notify the headwaiter or Maitre d' about the needs, but most of the dinner menus on our most recent Princess cruise did not have that message anymore. One of the lunch menus also did not have that notice.

On our last two Princess cruises, the task of dealing with dietary needs seems to have been passed from the Maitre d'/Headwaiter to your table waiter.

On both cruises, the waiter would bring the next day's menus and help determine what could be done to meet the needs.

Some of the dinner menus continued to have the notice on the bottom to only notify the headwaiter or Maitre d' about the needs, but most of the dinner menus on our most recent Princess cruise did not have that message anymore. One of the lunch menus also did not have that notice.

On my Royal Princess cruise (the 10/25 repo), a gentleman at the next table had a medical reason why he needed to order the night before. The Head Waiter for the section, and sometimes a second one, were very attentive to him. He was also the Most Traveled Passenger with over 1300 days, but my expectation was there was similar attention to other passengers with special food needs.

There are other allergies than food. Over the last few years, I developed an allergy to scented materials, like scented cleaning materials, perfumes and flowers, not only that, I also lost my sense of smell, so if there are someone, and there are many, that douse themselves in perfume, I have to depend on my DW to worn me. :eek:

Prior to a cruise I email customer relations, regarding scented cleaning materials in our cabin, and the staff do their best, although they can’t eliminate the scents completely, as it’s there from constant use. I’ve just learned to lots of tissues on hand, and a bucket beside the bed!!! :D

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ?? :rolleyes:

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines :D

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebexc city to New York

27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

28th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 20 - 24 Jan, 2014, 4 Days, California

29th cruise - Crown Princess, 03 - 10 May 2014, 7 Day, LA to Vancouver.

30th cruise - Pacific Princess, 05 - 12 Aug. 2014, 7 Days, Vancouver RT, Alaska

31st cruise - Golden Princess, 13 - 17 Oct. 2014, 4 Days, LA - Mexican Riv, RT,

Edited by Donna’s Mom & Dad

I just returned from the San Francisci to Hawaii cruise on the Star. I posted on my cruise personalized that I am gluten free due to Celiac disease 6 was before the cruise and a couple of more times because it never showed up. Well not to worry because the very first night at dinner our server, Jenny, said Mariano, the Headwaiter/Maitre'd would be taking care of my meals. He was very attentive. He would bring me the menu for the following evening, dinner and launch, and follow thru to make sure everything was properly prepared. When I informed him that we would be going to a specialty restraunts, he would inform them and even stop in to see if everything was fine.