Diamond plus changes on Oasis

This is where I think the airline analogy works best. If I pay for a first class ticket, I expect a level of service above what the economy passengers get, even if those passengers have flown millions of miles - they get some perks, but they don't get to be in the front of the plane with a meal served for free and all the drinks they care to consume. If anybody at any C&A level wants to be assured of getting the best perks onboard, then they need to book a full suite. Anything else is going to be a crapshoot.

Perfectly stated! If I am in a suite then I expect a certain level of service and amenities. Truthfully, RCI trails some of their competitors in this department. I thought Coastal Kitchen on the Oasis was a huge step in enhancing the suite experience and was well worth the price of admission.

Most people I've met and many posters who are on these boards who book crown lofts seem to so that often and on each cruise aboard oasis and allure. So I would say those passengers are their bread and butter. Which is why they are changing so many policies for suite and above.

Secondly take a look at quantums top tier suites. They are above oasis and allure. They designed those based off the information obtained with oasis and allure that high price rooms do and will sell. And often

That just shows no one experience tells it all. Many people I've read on here talk about an occasion, like significant birthday or anniversary, when getting a suite. If suite money is the base of income, why not have more of them? It's hard not to jump & try to please someone that paid 10-20 grand on this cruise, not over several cruises.

What I loved on my firsr cruise, was the feeling of being special, especially in the dining room, even though we were in a tight quad with a porthole. Now, I'm sure there were areas on that ship I didn't have access to, but my service was so good I didn't even think about it. That's changed. Now it seems, at times, that service is based on the room you paid for. That's my observation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Now it seems, at times, that service is based on the room you paid for. That's my observation.

If you leave a ship feeling like that then the cruise line failed, period. There should be a solid, baseline level of service that all guests experience, with certain extras for guests in top tier accommodations to make them feel extra special. It is a very - fine - line for the cruise line to walk. For example, when they first set up priority reserved seating for gold card holders at shows they surely had to have some level of fear that it would turn off non-suite guests. It didn't, and I don't think many (speaking from much personal experience) think it is any big deal... But it demonstrates the fine line they need to walk. If they cannot deliver the solid baseline of service for their non-suite guests then they will eventually set into motion a chain of events resulting in lower fares for those accommodations, even if suites still command top dollar, and that is something the cruise line most certainly does not want to occur.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

This is where I think the airline analogy works best. If I pay for a first class ticket, I expect a level of service above what the economy passengers get, even if those passengers have flown millions of miles - they get some perks, but they don't get to be in the front of the plane with a meal served for free and all the drinks they care to consume. If anybody at any C&A level wants to be assured of getting the best perks onboard, then they need to book a full suite. Anything else is going to be a crapshoot.

The Airline analogy also works because of the example of my Dad. He flew a ton, earned many an AAdvantage mile and booked many a free ticket, but now that he's retired the large amount of past travel doesn't earn him upgrades today.

from what we hear, this concept will eventually be fleet wide. newly added suite lounges will be for gold seapass card holders only. the concierge lounges will be turned into money producing venues and dia+ will be put with the dia. members in all those newly designed dia. lounges. I saw this coming a year or so back and everyone thought i was blowing smoke. WELL-WELL-WELL

August 3rd, 2013, 06:05 PM

orange-fish.gif phish tales user_invisible.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gifagree

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevSmith viewpost.gif

Now take a look at the same situation from the point of view of someone who has paid a lot for their OS, etc. and may even have guests that they paid for, and they come into the lounge which they are indeed entitled to and there are no seats because people who are not supposed to be there are occupying those seats. Is that really fair. Or are you only looking at the situation and how it effects you. Walk a mile in others shoes.

i definitely see your point and so does RCL. too many Dia+ now (plus their friends a few try to get in) that Royal Caribbean will soon take care of the CL overcrowding problem. soon(very soon i hope) there will be plenty of seating for gold card only

image.php?u=217790&type=sigpic&dateline=1267273286 We live in Pa.---Lehigh Valley

Favorite--Cruise Line RCCL

Favorite-Ship-VOYAGER CLASS

IF YOU CAN'T RUN----WALK

IF YOU CAN'T SWIM--CRUISE

(or even if you can)

as you can see, I saw this coming August 2013. Hmmmmmmmmm

Now it is finally here and well needed by RCL ...

Edited by phish tales

How do you know that? The chairman of the holding company of RCI, Richard Fain, is on record stating that over half of the Pinnacle Club members regularly book full suites, and I would not be surprised to learn that many of the higher level D+ do, too. We PCs were rewarded with the gold cards as a result of that finding (and some nagging, lol), and I would be really surprised if people stopped booking suites to save money after getting the gold cards.

I think you misunderstood my post. I'm saying people will regularly pay those very high prices for suites. Where as many others only sail very cheap deal or majesty just to rack up points.

I think we agree suites are the bread and butter especially with the gold card perks.

That just shows no one experience tells it all. Many people I've read on here talk about an occasion, like significant birthday or anniversary, when getting a suite. If suite money is the base of income, why not have more of them? It's hard not to jump & try to please someone that paid 10-20 grand on this cruise, not over several cruises.

What I loved on my firsr cruise, was the feeling of being special, especially in the dining room, even though we were in a tight quad with a porthole. Now, I'm sure there were areas on that ship I didn't have access to, but my service was so good I didn't even think about it. That's changed. Now it seems, at times, that service is based on the room you paid for. That's my observation.

On my recent Oasis TA everyone I met who was in a crown loft suite had stayed in them before. This was not a first or special occasion. I agree many get suites for special occasions but it seems the crown loft suites seem to be tailored to a higher client that repeats those rooms.

It's an old argument, but D+ will have spent thousands and thousands of dollars with RCCL and filled cabins that would otherwise go empty. By alienating their most loyal cruisers in catering to suite guests, RCCL execs may be making a big, big mistake.

I agree but look at the new ships they are building. Most long time rccl cruisers were not happy with the quantum and dynamic dining. They want new cruisers over d+

dia+ will be put with the dia. members in all those newly designed dia. lounges. I saw this coming a year or so back and everyone thought i was blowing smoke. WELL-WELL-WELL

Still think you are blowing smoke!

First, you have to understand that any transition to "newly designed diamond lounges" will take years. Many ships will NEVER receive these lounges.

So, in the interest of staying on point and not engendering more idle speculation, please cite your source(s), beyond "from what we hear."

Edited by yogimax

and all the drinks they care to consume. If anybody at any C&A level wants to be assured of getting the best perks onboard, then they need to book a full suite. Anything else is going to be a crapshoot.

I think you will soon see the unlimited drinks go by the wayside I think the three drinks loaded on your card will be it even in the DL, controls over drinking and cost:eek:

I think you will soon see the unlimited drinks go by the wayside I think the three drinks loaded on your card will be it even in the DL, controls over drinking and cost:eek:

Do you think enough D (and up) members are currently ordering more than 3 free drinks though? I never have, and I'd venture to guess that the vast majority don't regularly exceed 3 either. Perhaps you've had a different experience.

My thinking is if most people aren't exceeding 3 as is, there really wouldn't be a need for them to clamp down and take whatever PR hit they would take for looking "cheap." I dunno, just my $.02, I don't think it would significantly benefit them to eliminate the currently "unlimited" drinks.

Do you think enough D (and up) members are currently ordering more than 3 free drinks though? I never have, and I'd venture to guess that the vast majority don't regularly exceed 3 either. Perhaps you've had a different experience.

My thinking is if most people aren't exceeding 3 as is, there really wouldn't be a need for them to clamp down and take whatever PR hit they would take for looking "cheap." I dunno, just my $.02, I don't think it would significantly benefit them to eliminate the currently "unlimited" drinks.

They seem to be making some changes that don't make sense lately........but back to your question I seen on our last cruise a group of 8 plant them selves in the Diamond lounge from 4:45 to 8:30 most days we where looking for the half hour it was least crowded. Now I don't know for sure they were there the whole time. I was looking for another couple they were their early and were there every night at 08:30. I am like you I think three is enough for anybody.

I agree but look at the new ships they are building. Most long time rccl cruisers were not happy with the quantum and dynamic dining. They want new cruisers over d+

Another example of this is the new pricing policy a Diamond or diamond+ really don't get much more than the first time cruiser booking a cruise.

I think you misunderstood my post. I'm saying people will regularly pay those very high prices for suites. Where as many others only sail very cheap deal or majesty just to rack up points.

I think we agree suites are the bread and butter especially with the gold card perks.

On my recent Oasis TA everyone I met who was in a crown loft suite had stayed in them before. This was not a first or special occasion. I agree many get suites for special occasions but it seems the crown loft suites seem to be tailored to a higher client that repeats those rooms.

There are some who book the least expensive cabin they can because they just want to be onboard. Moving up the C&A chain is just a side benefit. Those who may be close to a milestone may double up to get there, but I don't think that's a huge percentage of people (I freely admit that I'm guessing).

I don't know how much extra profit RCI makes on a full suite vs. a balcony. We may book a full suite or at least a JS, but our onboard spending pales next to the first time cruiser who crams 3-4 people into an inside, OV or balcony and spend money on excursions, drink packages, kids' stuff and spa treatments. Another analogy that comes to mind is "give the razor away and charge a bundle for the blades." No matter the accommodations, the new cruiser is always likely to spend more than the experienced one, which is why RCI's focus has been on newbies for the last few years.

I agree - Diamonds and up could drink the line dry and it would hardly make a dent in their profit margins - the house wines probably cost them less than $1/bottle and the hard liquor not much more.

We were on a couple weeks ago. Here's the current lounge status:

Deck 4 Diamond Lounge -- Open to Diamond, Diamond Plus, and Pinnacle C&A Members.

Deck 11 Concierge Lounge -- Open to Diamond Plus and Pinnacle C&A Members; closing permanently in late January for the conversion to Wonderland.

Deck 17 Suite Lounge and Coastal Kitchen -- Open to passengers in a GS and above and Pinnacle C&A Members.

Diamond and above have three drinks per day loaded on their card for use during happy hour.

Hello Cindy. We will be on the Oasis August 22. We have GS 11330. It seems, somewhere I believe I have seen, the Concierge Lounge restriction to suites to be only temporary, possibly ending after further construction. Can you comment on that ? Also on re-reading your wonderful review and photo journal, how about Maho Beach in St. Maarten ? I hear the departing planes take off later and with a 5 p.m. departure, how long do you recommend staying ? Can one easily get a cab back ? Wanted to do that last. Thanks Gerry

Edited by buckeye rob

Hello Cindy. We will be on the Oasis August 22. We have GS 11330. It seems, somewhere I believe I have seen, the Concierge Lounge restriction to suites to be only temporary, possibly ending after further construction. Can you comment on that ?

The last I heard was from Rami during our cruise in November -- that news was that the CL would cease to exist once they started doing the final construction on Wonderland. I don't know if the delay of DD has pushed that date back or not. I would say there's virtually no chance of the CL being available to suites, even if it's still in existence for your cruise.

Also on re-reading your wonderful review and photo journal, how about Maho Beach in St. Maarten ? I hear the departing planes take off later and with a 5 p.m. departure, how long do you recommend staying ? Can one easily get a cab back ? Wanted to do that last. Thanks Gerry

I don't know...we were on a Bernard's Tour. We saw three commercial jet landings, and one take-off, and left about 1:30.

Edited by Cindy

Diamond plus here and I am on the Feb 7 sailing of Oasis so hoping for an extension of the CL past the end Jan. will let you know what I find out

Thanks Emmy- One minute I read that it is going away and the next I read that it will still be there sharing the space with Wonderland.

Diamond plus here and I am on the Feb 7 sailing of Oasis so hoping for an extension of the CL past the end Jan. will let you know what I find out

Please do! We are on the February 21st sailing, and this is our first cruise as Diamond Plus. One of the reasons we booked this ship was because of the additional benefits associated with the CL on Oasis class ships. I'm not feeling particularly hopeful at this point, but perhaps the delayed launch of DD, they won't be in a hurry to finish Wonderland...:(

Please do! We are on the February 21st sailing, and this is our first cruise as Diamond Plus. One of the reasons we booked this ship was because of the additional benefits associated with the CL on Oasis class ships. I'm not feeling particularly hopeful at this point, but perhaps the delayed launch of DD, they won't be in a hurry to finish Wonderland...:(

I am torn about this having tried Wonderland on Quantum last month it sure was a hit in my books. Our waiter in Wonderland on Quantum was going to Oasis in March for this start up. Stay tuned :)

• 3 weeks later...

We are on the FEB 21 Oasis trip and do hope that there is a CL to enjoy. We enjoyed the Diamond Lounge (6th deck interior) but the Concierge there has been moved to Quantum. Let's see what is commented on the CL in Feb.

We are on the FEB 21 Oasis trip and do hope that there is a CL to enjoy. We enjoyed the Diamond Lounge (6th deck interior) but the Concierge there has been moved to Quantum. Let's see what is commented on the CL in Feb.

We are also on the Feb. 21 (and Feb. 28) sailing and booked it way back when because of the CL. So sad if we won't be able to enjoy the wonderful view. We also enjoyed the lunch menu---with a glass of wine:D. Will miss that also---although I have read that is gone for sure.

Emmy you get on the day we get off. I will try and post an update while on board.

Sorry all...but still a bit confused...where eventually (when all is said and done) will the D+'s CL be on Oasis :confused:

There will be a D lounge for D and D+, and a concierge lounge for suites and pinnacles. My dreams of breakfast and lunch in the concierge lounge, since we just reached D+, are no more! 😔

Sent from my iPhone using Forums