Clothes to take for an Alaskan cruise

Pathfinder1964

We are going on our first Alaska cruise on June 20, 2015. My question is, what kind of clothing do you experienced Alaska cruisers recommend?

I know it will be summertime when we go but summer in Alaska is quite different from a summer in the North Carolina mountains...:eek:

Thanks for all replies!

Take layers. It won't be as cold as you think. We were there last summer (end of July) and the most I wore was a sweatshirt and that was when we went to a glacier. You should take a hat, gloves, rain jacket and some clothes to layer. You probably don't need boots but shoes that are sturdy.

There were some days in port that it was in the high 60s, low 70s. We never needed a heavy coat.

Have a great trip.

We did 3 days in Anchorage on our own, then 5 day Double Denali with Fairbanks and the 7 day southbound cruise to Vancouver. We'd advise on layering with a water resistant windbreaker as the outer layer.

Pre-cruise we did a College Fiords small boat tour and needed earmuffs and gloves. It rained often but we travel with 2 small totes umbrellas that will fit in the back pocket of jeans so no problem getting wet.

Rather than packing sweatshirts and/or sweaters we bought them as souvenirs and wore them on the land/sea cruise. :)

We purchased water repellant spray and sprayed three coats on our walking shoes. That meant we did not have to worry about getting them wet in rain or mist. The only jacket we took was a fleece-lined denim and we sprayed that as well as the backpack we sometimes took ashore. That spray was our best investment.

I agree with those who've said to dress in layers.

We've been to Alaska multiple times. I pack jeans, a pair of shorts, a long-sleeved shirt, a short-sleeved shirt, a jacket, a sweater or sweatshirt, a rain poncho, a swimsuit (for the hot tubs), study walking shoes, a hat, and gloves. Don't forget sunscreen since the sun will reflect off of the water, ice, or snow. Unless you are going to the interior of Alaska you will NOT need insect repellant.

The ship is kept at a very comfortable temperature. Daytime temps in the ports usually range from the 50's to the 70's. For glacier viewing you'll want warmer clothing or go to one of the public areas (most tend to be protected from the wind) or just stay in your cabin and turn on the channel with the bridge cam. The last option isn't as good as seeing it "live", but if you're cold or it's rainy, it's a good alternative.

Enjoy your cruise.

We also live in western N.C. (Canton)

And will be on the Westerdam June

20th 2015.

This will be our second trip to Alaska

(First was May of 07) but first for the

Kids. We wore light jackets for the

Most part. Except when visiting

Glacier bay .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are going on our first Alaska cruise on June 20, 2015. My question is, what kind of clothing do you experienced Alaska cruisers recommend?

I know it will be summertime when we go but summer in Alaska is quite different from a summer in the North Carolina mountains...:eek:

Thanks for all replies!

How exciting that you are going to Alaska! You will love it. Yes, layers is key. Definitely a waterproof gortex rain jacket and then layer under that, light polartec, tech wick shirts. No need for bulky coats that take up room in your luggage. I strongly suggest waterproof hiking boots as well , especially if you plan to do any adventure excursions. For example, we trekked to Exit Glacier from Seward and it was the rainiest day of the entire vacation but we wanted to see the glacier. Cut off hiking pants worked great as well, you can unzip and they become shorts if is gets warm. I don't think we ever had to do that..temps in 50's and 60's in early July.

I am reliving my trip as I think about it...ahhh...would love to go back.

We did a self guided tour upon disembarkation, rented a car, drove as far as Denali. Totally worth the extra time. We rented a car in Anchorage and took 10 days to see the sites, staying in B&B's and self catering cabins. The highlight of our trip was the small plane ride to Mt McKinley...perfect crystal clear weather! But I digress.. if you have any questions feel free to ask away.:)

Edited by pmjnh

We were on an Alaskan cruise in 2007 in September and weather ranged from cold and rainy in Juneau at 59°F, to 39°F and cloudy in Glacier Bay and sunny in the mid 70s in Sitka and Alaska where we were around the pools at sailaways and came home with a tan!

Layering is key since temps can change during the day while you are on an excursion. I would recommend light gloves and knit-style hat - it came in very handy in Glacier Bay.

For glacier viewing you'll want warmer clothing or go to one of the public areas (most tend to be protected from the wind) or just stay in your cabin and turn on the channel with the bridge cam. The last option isn't as good as seeing it "live", but if you're cold or it's rainy, it's a good alternative.

I must disagree. Viewing glaciers on your room TV is NEVER a good alternative. The only time I'd consider it to be an option is if I was sick enough to be confined to my cabin. Go prepared for the weather and be outside to get the most of your glacier viewing experience!

Some cruisers will tell you insect repellent is not needed unless you are in the interior, and they're probably correct. I'm guessing those people are not nearly as attractive to mosquitoes as I am. I've been bitten close to port and by local glaciers. I like to take some DEET wipes with me - easy to throw a couple of packs in a pocket or backpack just in case and in the packet form there's no danger of them leaking.

We also live in western N.C. (Canton)

And will be on the Westerdam June

20th 2015.

This will be our second trip to Alaska

(First was May of 07) but first for the

Kids. We wore light jackets for the

Most part. Except when visiting

Glacier bay .

Wingman2014, we are neighbors! I live in Franklin! In fact, we were just in Canton last night and watched your Pisgah Bears beat our Franklin Panthers in basketball....lol. Ate at your local Pizza Hut too(great food).

My daughter and family, friends and I will be on the same cruise! Cool!

Also, a great big thank you to all who replied to my question. Lot's of wonderful information!:)

Edited by Pathfinder1964