Diner reservation Fiasco

angelhelly

I need your guys help. I do not know what to do to get this resolved and I am starting to be royally pissed (no punt intended). I have already spend over 2 hours on the phone...

I have booked diner reservation this weekend for our upcoming cruise in January.

1) On Saturday, I tried to book 4 diner reservation for both my husband and I

- Giovani's table on day 1 (50$)

- 150 Central Park on day 2 (80$)

- Giovani's table on day 6 (50$)

- Samba Grill on day 7 (60$)

For a total of 240$

For some reason, the following happened:

- Giovani's table on day 1 - Did not book

- 150 Central Park on day 2 - Book

- Giovani's table on day 6 - Book only for me. My husband was not booked

- Samba Grill on day 7 - Did not book

However, the full charge was pending on my credit card for 240$. This charge is now posted.

After being on the phone for about 40-60 min, they asked me to call back on Sunday so things would be posted in their system.

2) On Sunday, I called. RC said that only what was booked was charged ( 80$ for 150 Central park for both me and my husband, and 25$ for me at giovani's table on day 6). The following was done

- Giovani's table on day 1 was booked. I was charged 50$

- Samba Grill on day 7 was booked. I was charged 60$

- Giovani's table on day 6 for myself got cancelled. Got a refund of 25$. It is posted on my credit card already.

- Giovani's table on day 6 for me and husband got booked. I was charged 50$.

3) Today, everything posted. I got charged 240$ from Saturday and $60,$50 and $50 for Sunday. The $25 refund was already posted.

So I overpaid 135$. Royal said they never charged me that amount. It is clearly posted on my credit card statement.

Who should I contact to get this fixed? I tried the C&A, the Cruise Planner and the regular number, and all those are saying they never charged me that much. Seems my only resort right now is to dispute the charge on my credit card, but I'd rather go another way.

Any advice?

I'd first contact the credit card company to verify if the $240 is a "hold" or a real charge. If it is a hold, it should fall off soon. If it really was charged, I'd contact Royal Caribbean again. If your planner is still unable to help, ask for resolutions. I have not used that department for a billing issue, but I think it might be worth a shot. Since the charges had not all posted last time you spoke to the company, I'd wait to dispute the charge until after making another attempt.

Did the charges show up as pending, or cleared? Pending charges take several days to disappear if they're not actual charges. The online billing systems are so efficient that the charge hits your card within seconds of hitting the submit button, but if the order didn't process correctly, the charge will eventually be reversed when the real charge confirmation comes in from the merchant.

If the charges have cleared your bank, then I'd call the bank and have them reversed.

I would download a copy of your statement as of this date, get on the phone with RC, ask for resolutions, explain the issue and offer to provide them with the copy of your statement showing the charges.

I do know that when they process refunds, it can take what feels like a really long time to show up on your card. (This has happened to me)

However, if they deny that a larger refund was processed or that the charge is correct, I guess the only real recourse is to dispute it with the cc issuer.

The charges are posted. So yeah, it is not a hold or pending anymore.

We recently took a land trip and a charge that was over what was to be there was posted. In talking to the credit card company discovered hotels will put a larger charge on that appears to be a real charge. At checkout, if all is OK, the correct fee will charge. The larger charge dropped off and the actual one appeared.

Hoping this is the same for you. Would definitely call the credit card company to verify all charges. If positively a charge is made, would then contact RCCL.

Disclaimer: Not being dramatic just reporting past posts...

Have read posts on Cruise Critic if charges are disputed on a credit card, then Royal bans the use of that card forever. Of course, on the boards we only get one side of the story.

Hope you get this resolved. Please let us know.

Edited by denamo

Well, after spending an other hour on the phone, being transferred 2 times, and then on hold for 30 min while the guy I was talking to was in queue to talk to a supervisor, they admitted they overcharged me the 135$ and they will have to ask another department to refund me, which would take about 9-10 business day. At least it is progress. They FINALLY admitted that they overcharged me.

The guy also suggested that I have my travel agent follow up on this to make sure the refund will be done.

I would hate my card to be banned... I got that one to book all my travel. lol. Anyway, we will see what happened.

I'm glad you have made progress with them. IIRC, the rules say one should make every effort to work disagreements out with the merchant before filing a dispute with credit card company. Boy, oh boy, have you made the effort. I hope the refund is processed without any further hassle.

I booked for 2 restaurants and for 2 adults and a 3 year old. 3 year old was suppose to be free according to their website and when I called them. they said nothing to be done that is the way the website work. So I asked for a refund, they said they can only give me OBC. It's not a lot I'm out about $50, but still they screw up and force you to spend on the ship. They take very quickly but seem to be quite hard to get a refund out of them.

I booked for 2 restaurants and for 2 adults and a 3 year old. 3 year old was suppose to be free according to their website and when I called them. they said nothing to be done that is the way the website work. So I asked for a refund, they said they can only give me OBC. It's not a lot I'm out about $50, but still they screw up and force you to spend on the ship. They take very quickly but seem to be quite hard to get a refund out of them.

I am not really sure how they can tell you the refund is only possible via OBC. Now maybe you don't care and would easily spend the $50 onboard but if this were me, I would pursue a credit to my credit card. As the OP on this thread has demonstrated, just because RCI initially says "no" to a problem/refund situation, it doesn't mean they are correct and won't reverse course if the customer is persistent.

Edited by joepeka

I think you have options.

You could follow the above advice and push for a refund now if that's what you want.

or

You could just ask for a refund of the whole reservation, then make reservation for two adults, add kiddo on embarkation day. Or just book all three of you on board.

or

You could ask if that is a refundable credit. If so, you are not "force(d) you to spend on the ship." They will refund it to the CC if you do not spend a refundable OBC.