Packing non-minimalist what are you taking that I'm not

Wayfairers

I'm going to Mexico next month for 8 weeks with only a normal size backpack. I'm carrying 2 sets of workout clothes, 1 light sweater, 2 pjs, 2 swimsuits, 9 outfits (mixture of short/shirts, dresses, skirts/tops), 9 sets of underwear, 2 sets of flip flops. I will wear a pair of Solomans and one of the outfits. That is all I take for all warm weather trips regardless of length. If I have cold weather on the trip I add a small carry on suitcase with jeans, pants, sweatshirts and wear a pair of heavier shoes and eliminate one set of flip flops and I wear a heavier jacket. For toiletries we have the normal stuff. I'm not looking to start an argument and I'm not going to slam anyone who responds. I'm just curious what are the heavy packers taking that I'm not?

I'm amazed that all that fits into a backpack. How much does the backpack weigh?

For my next cruise I am not taking much more in the way of clothes than you have but in a suitcase (I physically could not carry a pack on my back). I do have some electronic stuff (power cords, converters, etc), a sewing kit, some jewelry and my mini-first aid kit that I did not see on your list.

Edited by Scrapnana

I take my golf shoes, golf clothes (which I need as we play golf in some of the ports), also at least 4 or 5 books which weigh a lot (but hopefully soon I can get an ipad where I can download books)...other than these extras I am pretty much down your line as I hate to overpack and drag heavy suitcases around....since we fly long haul most of the time, I carry a book, Soduko book, sweets and sometimes a little pillow (unless we fly business) in the carry on luggage...

Pretty much what you take is what I take. I don't take as many pair of panties, though - 3 pair max. I didn't see any mention of smartphone/tablet/camera - I do take at least the tablet now (I don't own a smartphone) and will take the camera (my trusty Nikon D40) if I'm going to be in someplace I really want to take worthy photos that a tablet can't do. Two things I do take that you don't have listed: a hat and a bandana. I'll always have a hat (baseball, Panama, water, depending on where I'm going/doing) to keep the sun off my head. A bandana can serve sooooo many functions (head covering, wet for cooling around neck, tablecloth, sling, carry sack…), that I never travel without one.

I can buy whatever toiletries I need at a store when I arrive.

I think it also depends from which country you come from, if like us leaving from the UK in winter we have to be dressed warm when leaving the house and if you land in your destination country which happens to be a warm one, only then you change into summer clothes and are lumbered with the winter clothes in the suitcase...

I did forget to list electronics...a iPhone that is also my camera and sometimes my iPad. I carry a messenger bag those and my kindle as well as cords go in. We also carry a rechargeable razor with various interchangeable heads such as nose hair clipper head.

The backpack is not very heavy although I've never weighed it. It is a normal size, not large at all. I can easily lift it above my head. I'm 49 years old and active so that helps. I could see it being a problem as I age.

Mainly I bring a lot more shoes, binoculars, knitting, kindle, chargers for my phone, my camera etc. Toiletries - I bring all my brands in travel size, a roll of my makeup brushes, and a bag with my mineral makeup. Commuter coffee cup (I need a large coffee with a good lid). Beaded silk shawls for evening (why make them if I don't get to wear them). Cover ups and more swim suits.

I personally wouldn't bring dresses. I'd rather have Macabi skirts & a variety of tops. The Macabi converts to pants or shorts, is breathable fabric, hand washes easily & dries quickly, & has huge pockets (one zippered). Add a matching color top & you've got a dress.

I bring a light & a dark of everything. Beige (or grey) and black and maybe a color. Tops: sleeveless, tees, long-sleeve.

And ALWAYS a pashmina shawl. It's saved me from freezing so many times -- indoors & out!

Hmmmm...I looked at the Macabi skirt. I had never heard of it. Don't want to offend but the pictures I found make it look a bit bulky and like you hiked a skirt up for shorts or the shorter skirt. Is that really how it looks when you are wearing it? Great concept though!!

The dresses I'm taking to MX are sundresses and perfect for that trip. Those won't go with me to Europe.

Edited by Wayfairers

What am I taking that you're not? A lot of stuff! LOL!

For ex.:

A pop-up hamper

A shoe pocket over the door hanging thingy

A plug-in light

A multi use electrical outlet

Etc., Etc. Etc.

All these thing make my cruises much more easy and comfortable.

I'm a little cruising pack rat...err Mouse! LOL!

To each his own I say.

Hmmmm...I looked at the Macabi skirt. I had never heard of it. Don't want to offend but the pictures I found make it look a bit bulky and like you hiked a skirt up for shorts or the shorter skirt. Is that really how it looks when you are wearing it? Great concept though!!

The dresses I'm taking to MX are sundresses and perfect for that trip. Those won't go with me to Europe.

My daughter who is a fashionable professional woman & wears size 2, has solved the problem by pairing the skirt with long tight tops, which subdues the fullness.

Also, we do order a size or two smaller than recommended. We view them primarily as travel gear, although similar longish, full skirts have been fashionable the past couple of years. I've read that the company is planning to branch out to include skorts & other variations next year.

My daughter who is a fashionable professional woman & wears size 2, has solved the problem by pairing the skirt with long tight tops, which subdues the fullness.

Also, we do order a size or two smaller than recommended. We view them primarily as travel gear, although similar longish, full skirts have been fashionable the past couple of years. I've read that the company is planning to branch out to include skorts & other variations next year.

Thanks. The long tight top sounds like a good idea. I might try one of these. Have you found any other clothes that travel well? I have never bought clothes specifically for travel, but I tend to wear clothes that aren't bulky so that makes for easier packing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here's a great packing video: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/05/06/business/businessspecial/20100506-pack-ss.html?_r=0

After seeing this, my daughter & I now go everywhere with just a carry-on each.

We look at places like Campmor, Academy, LL Bean, etc for travel clothes. Our travel shirts, for example, have 2 side zip pockets in addition to the regular two patch pockets in front. They also have vents in back (mesh under) to keep us cool. And they are quick drying, SPF 30 or more, and some have bug repellent in the fabric. We also have travel pants (& capris) which look like regular black or grey yoga pants, but have 2 medium size zip pockets just below the waistband & a large zip pocket just under the left knee. As you can see, we love the freedom from purses that we get with secure pockets! I also have a chiffon tank top that reverses from snake print to leopard spots, and can be turned around from a V neckline to a round one. 4 looks in one piece! We often look in the fishing department to find quick-drying clothes that pack well.

Dry release clothes are your friend. Minimal wrinkle, easy wash in sink & dry in under an hour. GoLite & Columbia are great brands & pretty inexpensive lots more colors & styles than in the past.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I liked GoLite; sad to see them go out of business :(

Also look at Ex-Officio - a good number of pieces of clothes that don't look like "adventure travel" clothes but wear well, wash easy, and pack small.

And, Sahalie and Title Nine both have some good things. My original Little Black Travel Dress is from Sahalie - 7 years old and still going strong.

The North Face, Patagonia, Prana, Royal Robbins and Mountain Hardware are there, too. Most of these items are good enough for everyday-at-home OR on-vacation use. For some warmer layering options, Smartwool and Icebreaker have some good things.

Must haves for every trip: a pop- up hamper, bedroom scuffs for cozy feet at the end of a long day, Lysol sani-wipes to wipe down the room (doorknobs, light switches, remote control, curtain pulls, drawer pulls, etc.), latex gloves to use for the wipe down because the Sani-wipes tear up my skin, a black dressy sweater for chilly evenings in the theater or restaurants and Royal Caribbean ice shows.

I'm not a heavy packer, and I think your list sounds pretty good. I do have a couple thoughts:

- I'd want a swimsuit cover-up -- two, if water activities are to be a main focus of your trip.

- I'd pack a ball cap and a straw beach hat.

- I'd add something along the lines of a warm-up suit. Something you could wear if the weather turns suddenly cold, or if you want something soft and cozy to wear in the evening. (At this very minute I'm wearing a $50 sweatshirt that I was forced to buy at Yellowstone, when it was unexpectedly COLD during our July 4th stay.)

- I had to look up Solomons. I'd trade in one pair of flip-flops for something in-between flip-flops and heavy tennis shoes: Maybe a pair of Toms, which kind of blend in with shorts or a casual dress and offer an entirely different look.

- You didn't mention socks, but I'd want a couple pair.

- I'd add a few pieces of jewelry to "dress up" a casual dress.

- For 8 weeks you're going to need full-sized toiletries; thus, I wouldn't carry them at all -- I'd do a shopping trip upon arrival. Or, better yet, mail myself a package of toiletries; thus avoiding the need for shopping immediately.

- I agree with adding OTC meds that you use on a regular basis.

- I'd definitely take my Kindle.

- I'd take my needlework for quiet evenings. I'd probably plan to start a new project so it wouldn't be finished mid-trip.

Edited by MrsPete