two days in Barcelona- What's a must see

Xmansmom

This is DH and I's first time in Europe. I love exploring new places and we are both Foodies. I know we will find lots of stuff to do and see but I'm hoping for some suggestions on what you find is an absolute must see. Yes I'm reading the guide books and doing my own research but I find I typically get some great suggestions here as well. With 2 full days to explore I figured maybe I can find some great suggestions. Every thing is welcome: sites to see, places to shop, restaurants, bars. We are up for anything. Thanks

In addition to mskaufman's list I would strongly recommend the Barcelona History Museum (Museu d' History de Barcelona) located on Placa del Rei. I think that visitors tend to rank attractions based on price, and while this museum isn't very expensive at all, it is wonderful. Anyone who has enjoyed Pompeii or even the Roman Painted House in Dover will also enjoy this museum.

Here is a link to our pictures from our Med cruise two years ago. There are four or five pages from Barcelona. We did three days pre-cruise and also did side trips to Girona and Montserrat.

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures

Thanks. We will have three days pre cruise next year too. We were thinking about Girona but wonder if you think it is worth the expense?

Thanks. We will have three days pre cruise next year too. We were thinking about Girona but wonder if you think it is worth the expense?

The expense was fairly limited. We took a taxi to the Sants station and bought a round trip train ticket. We were not sure if we would have time to include Girona and made a late night decision. We took an 8am train, eating breakfast at the station while we waited. Including a sit down lunch we were back in Barcelona by mid afternoon and still had time to go to Mont Juic and the Gothic Quarter that day.

What we liked was that Girona was much less crowded than Barcelona (late June). As you can see from the pictures many do not have people in them. Walking some of the streets of the call really brought us back in time.

I think that things are popular for a reason. I'd start with the obvious.

La Sagrada

Parc Guell

Ramblas

Gaudi Sites

Gothic Quarter

Concur, and we found some nice restaurants.

A good tapas bar located in a large market not far from the Cathedral in Bari Gothic is Cuines Santa Caterina.

We had dinner at ATN, which was located close to a Roman excavation of tombs just off Las Ramblas on Canuda Street. The restaurant was open, even though it was about early by Spanish dinner standards. We had a wonderful meal with great service. Separate checks were not a problem with a party of six and credit cards were accepted. The next day, we had dinner at small tapas restaurant near the Plaza Sant Just on Palma De Sant Just. That restaurant, Bodega LaPalma, was not modern like ATN, but small and rustic. The tapas were excellent, with large servings for very reasonable prices. I highly recommend both restaurants.

This is DH and I's first time in Europe. I love exploring new places and we are both Foodies.

Since you say you and DH are Foodies, I'm surprised no one has mentioned visiting the Boqueria Food Market. Perhaps the folks who mentioned taking a walk along La Rambla assumed you'd stop in there, but I didn't want to take a chance on your missing this. I particularly liked the fish and shellfish counters since the fish were visibly the freshest catch we'd ever seen and that includes the equivalent markets in Rome and Paris. You can buy take away snacks, eat a snack or make a whole meal of tapas from the counters scattered throughout the market.

In addition, my husband and I signed up for a Tapas crawl with Spanish Trails, a highly recommended Barcelona tour company. Any time I -- or any other poster -- recommends a paid tapas crawl, there's lots of argument back and forth about the "need" for such a tour. Here's a link to an existing thread about tapas walking tours that includes some of my previous posts.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44508085

Since you say you and DH are Foodies, I'm surprised no one has mentioned visiting the Boqueria Food Market. Perhaps the folks who mentioned taking a walk along La Rambla assumed you'd stop in there, but I didn't want to take a chance on your missing this.

I totally agree. And regardless of whether anyone considers herself a "foodie," I would be sure to visit La Boqueria. Just looking at the displays is wonderful.

I think the other in-city suggestions above are also excellent. If there's time, a guided walking tour of the Barri Gotic is fascinating. I would certainly spend a good bit of time at La Sagrada Familia. Not really sure that with only two days, side trips make sense, but that really depends on what people like to do. Montserrat is indeed fascinating, but that's at least half a day out of the city.

OP: Barcelona is easy to get around via metro and on foot. I found this web site very useful for planning (and it has info on public transportation as well).

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/index.html

Have a great trip!

Yes to La Bouqueria, and to Girona--easy to get to by train.

I agree that La Boqueria is a must see. We had 2 days in Barcelona in May and loved this fabulous city. Easy to walk around, great food, cheap shopping and loads to see. The Barcelona Cathedral was beautiful. We were fortunate to be there while Mass was on - very moving. It is in the Barri Gothic area which is worth exploring. I think there is a dancing display in front of the Cathedral on a Sunsday at lunchtime. Not sure of the correct details but Google will tell you. Enjoy Barcelona.