Which Christmas cruise to take? URGENT!!

katzenapples2

My husband and I can't decide which of two Holland America cruises to book at the last minute--the Ryndam leaving Dec. 21, or the Westerdam leaving 12/20. Both are to the western Caribbean, but they are quite different itineraries. We are not very experienced as cruisers, and mostly want to get away from our troubles and the cold weather. We're not sure which ship would be better or which itinerary. We know the Ryndam is older & smaller, but that doesn't really mean a lot to us. Can anyone give us suggestions for this LAST MINUTE DECISION? Thanks so much!

My husband and I can't decide which of two Holland America cruises to book at the last minute--the Ryndam leaving Dec. 21, or the Westerdam leaving 12/20. Both are to the western Caribbean, but they are quite different itineraries. We are not very experienced as cruisers, and mostly want to get away from our troubles and the cold weather. We're not sure which ship would be better or which itinerary. We know the Ryndam is older & smaller, but that doesn't really mean a lot to us. Can anyone give us suggestions for this LAST MINUTE DECISION? Thanks so much!

It would help to know what the differences are in the itineraries.

Unlike some other cruise lines (Royal Caribbean), HAL ships aren't all that different from each other, imo. I'm not a big fan of Mexico, and I do like Grand Cayman, so I'd go with the Westerdam. The reviews of the Westerdam are slightly better as well.

I've done both itineraries and have sailed both ships at least 3-4+ times.

I would opt for the 14 day Westerdam though you most certainly won't go wrong

with Ryndam. She is older but we always hear good reports about the ship and

her crew. Last time we sailed Westerdam was two weeks over Thanksgiving 2012 and had a great time.

A laundry mat would be far below any consideration on what cruise to take.

One person's opinion. :)

('Any' should probably have been 'my';) )

Some plan on doing laundry on vacation. Many clothes are too delicate to go thru the ship laundry

Edited by SadieN

One person's opinion. :)

('Any' should probably have been 'my';) )

Some plan on doing laundry on vacation. Many clothes are too delicate to go thru the ship laundry

A self-service laundry for any longer cruises (our last three have been two-week cruises) or any cruise we're pairing with a land stay is important for us. One of my family members is allergic to laundry detergent (so the only detergent we use at home is allergen-free) and some of the clothing my daughter and I have are better air-dried or on a really low setting that isn't available on many commercial machines. To be able to take less clothing and not have the items we bring ruined, it's worth it to do a laundry load or two on board.