Becoming Elite

blondietoo

Not being able to keep up with past cruises is not specifically a Princess problem. I had to send photos of me and my ex on our Carnival cruise to get that one counted when my DH and I took his mother on a short Carnival cruise a couple of years ago. And the talk of the past-passenger benefits on Princess versus those on other cruise lines made me sign in to Royal Caribbean to see what I've been missing. They had an accurate record of our last cruise with them, which was in 1999. They're giving me credits for our first two cruises with them but apparently don't have records of the details. They put the dates of those two cruises as having been in 1970, which is when I was in elementary school. They don't list the ships either. I think the overall number of credits are accurate.

Don't know about Princess...but a similar thing happened with us a couple of years ago on RCCL...

We were taking our now-grown daughters on a cruise with us...

My wife and I are "Diamond" on their Crown and Anchor club...

My then-28 year old daughter was also Diamond...

Somehow, my 26 year old only showed on their records as "Gold"...

I called RCCL's Crown and Anchor desk and asked "So, when the three of us go to the Diamond Lounge for our free pre-dinner drinks, our younger daughter has to wait outside?" The agent told me that, yes, that was the policy...

I called again later and got the same answer from another rep...

So, I called a third time, the next day, and got yet a third agent...

I posed the same question...and, this time, the agent said: "That's ridiculous!" She then hit a few keys on her computer and, Voila! Our younger daughter was suddenly Diamond as well...

My answer is SURE...These things CAN be done...But most of the agents just read from the script and won't do anything...

So...What I'd do is to keep on calling until you find someone who IS willing to bypass the system...

Sometimes it helps to "ask to speak to a supervisor"...

I mean, what do they expect you to do...have your husband wait outside the door?

So IF in theory I got a large enough Lotto win, I could take here in Australia 2 separate Melbourne-Sydney cruises, and 2 Sydney-Melbourne and a 4 day Auckland-Melbourne cruise in a Window Suite, totalling 5 cruises to reach Elite.

If I remember the Captain's Circle levels correctly:

I would qualify Gold after my 1st cruise.

2nd cruise qualifies for Ruby.

3rd cruise qualifies for Platinum and

After the 5th cruise I would walk off the ship having achieved Elite status?

Wow! Realistically, the chances of me winning Lotto are slim, but I sure would like to have that headache! *wicked giggles* I'm sure there'd be plenty of cruises suggested-Alaska with a friend to see the polar bears comes to mind; the Caribbean, realise I might need to use the Royal to get a wanted itinerary, but after qualifying as an Elite, I'd gain a Balcony with Disabled Access. Which is vital for me. When I saw, after a prompt from a friend, just how little the price difference was, I decided, if the Window Suite is available when I go in to book, I'm grabbing it!

Does anyone know if it is possible to invite friends who are not travelling in your stateroom to afternoon tea as your guests please? I'd take advantage of what I was entitled to, but not push the boundaries.

Crochetcruise

So IF in theory I got a large enough Lotto win, I could take here in Australia 2 separate Melbourne-Sydney cruises, and 2 Sydney-Melbourne and a 4 day Auckland-Melbourne cruise in a Window Suite, totalling 5 cruises to reach Elite.

Wow! Realistically, the chances of me winning Lotto are slim, but I sure would like to have that headache! *wicked giggles* I'm sure there'd be plenty of cruises suggested-Alaska with a friend to see the polar bears comes to mind; the Caribbean, realise I might need to use the Royal to get a wanted itinerary, but after qualifying as an Elite, I'd gain a Balcony with Disabled Access. Which is vital for me. When I saw, after a prompt from a friend, just how little the price difference was, I decided, if the Window Suite is available when I go in to book, I'm grabbing it!

Does anyone know if it is possible to invite friends who are not travelling in your stateroom to afternoon tea as your guests please? I'd take advantage of what I was entitled to, but not push the boundaries.

Crochetcruise

When you win the lottery just take the world cruise and be elite after one cruise. Simple.

Of course with a huge lottery winning you could just cruise on an expensive all-inclusive line and not be bothered with worrying about Elite benefits on Princess.

While I agree with you that, once Elite status was given they should not have rescinded it, I also note that after the one cruise you will be taking, you will definitely have Elite status.

So you want to throw away those benefits - mini bar, free laundry, 10% discounts, canapés, high tea on your balcony, priority tendering, all after you have earned them? I can tell you, just the free laundry can add up to some real savings.

In you want to shoot yourself in the foot, go ahead and cancel those other two cruises. Or you could experience the benefits you have earned.

I agree that what you say makes sense depending on the circumstances, but I guess I should say that I wasn't talking about my perks, which I can also get in a suite. The point I was making was that I feel Princess has handled this matter very poorly and treated my wife in a decidedly shabby manner.

Crochetcruise

Yes you can invite a couple of friends to your suite for tea. Just don't push the envelope by inviting 8-10.:D

Mike:)

They bring a fixed quantity of food for the afternoon tea in your cabin and it has been reported it is much more than one person can eat.

So you can have as many friends as you want to share it with you. The quantity of food brought will not change.

I agree that what you say makes sense depending on the circumstances, but I guess I should say that I wasn't talking about my perks, which I can also get in a suite. The point I was making was that I feel Princess has handled this matter very poorly and treated my wife in a decidedly shabby manner.
I most definitely agree with the point you make about Princess handling the matter. Good customer service would have them admit the error but retain the Elite status they already awarded. The difference was one cruise, which you may have taken but lack proof.

Happy sailings!

They bring a fixed quantity of food for the afternoon tea in your cabin and it has been reported it is much more than one person can eat.
We've found it to be more than the two of us can eat...;)

Thrak, Mike and caribill, thank you all for expanding my knowledge.

As I need Disabled Accessibility in the bathroom Thrak, I would feel more comfortable on Princess Cruises. While the Disabled cabins are far fewer in number, I found out last night while checking out a Southern Caribbean cruise, that the Royal Princess DOES have a Penthouse Suite with Disabled Access!

Once I confirm the booking, I will contact my friends and invite them to Afternoon Tea on the Monday (full day sailing) of our cruise.

I collected my new swimsuit and 3 short-sleeved tops to be worn under a long-sleeved top if needed, so the only thing I need is a short towelling wrap for use at the pool. I'm an awkward size, so plan ahead and keep a watchful eye on 3 different shops-Best & Less and Kmart (not sure if they're in the USA), and Target. Big W. is a taxi ride for me, so when the other 3 are within the area I usually shop, they get my loyalty.

I must sort out computer access at the library, I was browsing on a thread that mentioned the Norman Love chocolates, with a photo of 18 different varieties. I couldn't read some of the labels, so would like to use the larger computer at the annexe of the library, it's about 4 times my notebook screen, and with enlarging the font size, I should have a good chance of being able to make a list and get my friend to number her preferences for me. She's been a good, loyal friend, always willing to help out, and I'd like to spoil her a little bit.

Crochetcruise :cool:

Edited by crochetcruise

Yes, you could, if you went to Princess as a newbie and started throwing around the extra dollars it takes to secure a suite alone on those hard-to-fill short cruises, five times, you could and Princess would gladly award your status as likely to be liberal with money in future.

How would you know you wanted to be Elite, until you had spent a little time on Princess? What would be the motivating force? If you've never been on the line, how do you know you are going to like it?

Edited by Wehwalt

Perhaps most galling to me as someone who spent many years in an executive position with a major national corporation as well as successfully running companies of my own later in life is the fact whoever it was that responded on behalf of Princess did not have the courage or the common courtesy to append their name to the communication, but merely hid behind the genetic "Captain's Circle Department". Once again, in my view, a deplorable exercise in Public Relations.

As is the problem with all major companies today as I can tell. Whether it be mass cruise lines, airlines, hotels, mobile phone companies, banks, insurance, grocery stores, etc, etc, etc......

Do they really care? I call it the Ford Pinto scenario (there are more recent examples, this just sticks in my head) They are willing to loose customers because there are always new customers (Sears wishes probably) But executives don't plan on becoming a Sears, JC Penny , Circuit City.... they think they will always be needed. But even when companies close, jobs are lost but the top dogs still get their payout.

Just a rant but times are much different today with all the mergers and less competition, no?