Solo Travelers on HAL

mame42

I don't think of it as being screwed. I compare it to a hotel. When I book a room, I pay the same price as 2 people. If there is breakfast for 2 included, I only get one breakfast.

I pay the price that I am willing to pay. While I'd like double OBC, 2 bottles of wine, or double Mariner days, I understand why HAL doesn't give them to solo travelers.

The upcoming Koningsdam has single cabins per their deck plan so maybe you will be a bit happier with HAL on that ship. As far as I know, only the Prinsedam has single cabins (and no upcharge), but only a very few.

Generally I've found there is an upcharge for those single cabins. It's generally not half of what a double would pay. I'm also not interested in the Prinsendam itinerary except for the Amazon. Of course I'm only speaking for myself.

While I'd like double OBC, 2 bottles of wine, or double Mariner days, I understand why HAL doesn't give them to solo travelers.

Why is that? I would think that it would be fairly logical that they would give those extra benefits to someone who is paying double - or almost double. Of course, if the OBC is for the room that makes sense, but if it is per person, I don't see why a single couldn't get double:)...

I don't think of it as being screwed. I compare it to a hotel. When I book a room, I pay the same price as 2 people. If there is breakfast for 2 included, I only get one breakfast.

I pay the price that I am willing to pay. While I'd like double OBC, 2 bottles of wine, or double Mariner days, I understand why HAL doesn't give them to solo travelers.

I had forgotten double Mariner days. However, when comparing a cruise booking to a hotel, it depends on the hotel. Many times, when a sit down (non buffet) breakfast is included, a chit for two breakfasts is provided at check in. The hotel does not care if a friend or family joins you for that breakfast. Also, one earns the same amount of hotel loyalty points whether one or two occupy the room.

At the risk of being flamed - and believe me, I am very sympathetic towards the solo cruisers - HAL does not charge double the tips so they likely feel justified in not allowing the extra OBC and loyalty points. But I do feel the solo cruiser should be able to bring on an extra bottle of wine, at the very least.

At the risk of being flamed - and believe me, I am very sympathetic towards the solo cruisers - HAL does not charge double the tips so they likely feel justified in not allowing the extra OBC and loyalty points. But I do feel the solo cruiser should be able to bring on an extra bottle of wine, at the very least.

Some of us leave plenty of extra tips. On my last cruise I left more for extra tips then what was charged to my account. This really is a red herring. They should be able to shore up the HSC for those involved with what we pay. Just once I'd like to see a thread where singles don't get flamed for something. Just remember, one day you may be in the same boat.

Edited by cruz chic

The upcoming Koningsdam has single cabins per their deck plan so maybe you will be a bit happier with HAL on that ship. As far as I know, only the Prinsedam has single cabins (and no upcharge), but only a very few.

Have you see the location of those single cabins?

A place where there is nothing else they could reasonably put there.

Do not count on a quiet, comfortable cabin if you book out into the bow where they were dropped in.

No way I'd book one of them.

Some of us leave plenty of extra tips. On my last cruise I left more for extra tips then what was charged to my account. This really is a red herring. They should be able to shore up the HSC for those involved with what we pay. Just once I'd like to see a thread where singles don't get flamed for something. Just remember, one day you may be in the same boat.

I don't doubt that plenty of tips are left Cruz chic, I'm just playing devil's advocate here inasmuch as the HAL pen pushers would likely claim that as an excuse.

There are certain websites where one can see the current single offers where the supplement is either discounted or zero. And Holland America rarely shows on those lists.

I think cruise lines in general need to recognize that there are now more single adults in the U.S. than there are married people--for the first time ever. If cruise lines want to increase their business from the U.S, they are going to have recognize this fact and learn how to cater to singles.

If the tips really do go to the staff, then what difference is it to HALs number crunchers? No money out of their pockets! (And I also tip very generously as a solo cruiser on top of my hotel charge, which I'm happy to do).

Now that I'm a 4-star mariner, there is no incentive for me to stay loyal to HAL, so I'm going to be shopping around for lines that are more forward thinking about the reality (and potential profits) of catering more to solo travelers.

I understand as I usually travel solo. The last cruise i was on, my cabin stewardess occasionally left me two chocolates in addition to the lovely towel animals.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I wonder..... do you think the cabin stewards know that singles pay double for the cabin? It's sweet (pun intended :) ) she left double chocolates.

There are certain websites where one can see the current single offers where the supplement is either discounted or zero. And Holland America rarely shows on those lists.

I think cruise lines in general need to recognize that there are now more single adults in the U.S. than there are married people--for the first time ever. If cruise lines want to increase their business from the U.S, they are going to have recognize this fact and learn how to cater to singles.

Two people (presumably) order more drinks, book more excursions, buy more in the shops, gamble more blah blah blah......... $$ is all that matters.

I really have not seen other cruise lines giving singles a break either..... one of the hard parts of being a single and cruising.

I have only recently begun sailing solo but Celebrity does give double Captain's Club points for solos. I got them on my October transatlantic cruise. Now I wish HAL would give me 62 points for my 31 day cruise on the Prinsendam next April!

I have only recently begun sailing solo but Celebrity does give double Captain's Club points for solos. I got them on my October transatlantic cruise. Now I wish HAL would give me 62 points for my 31 day cruise on the Prinsendam next April!

Too true! On my recent 42 day cruise, I garnered a measly 56 points, while others, who spent less (those spa appointments add up quickly) onboard, earned nearly twice as many. That makes it difficult for solos to make it to the upper tier star levels.

Too true! On my recent 42 day cruise, I garnered a measly 56 points, while others, who spent less (those spa appointments add up quickly) onboard, earned nearly twice as many. That makes it difficult for solos to make it to the upper tier star levels.

Now I am confused. Have we missed something.... We do not get extra points as a couple, we each get our own points. Star levels are per person not per couple - trust me as I was cruising HAL long before I got married and my DH is a bit behind in points - and was a star level below for a while. Now I do know benefits are per cabin and assigned for the higher star level per cabin but those points were earned per person.

Have you see the location of those single cabins?

A place where there is nothing else they could reasonably put there.

Do not count on a quiet, comfortable cabin if you book out into the bow where they were dropped in.

No way I'd book one of them.

I just put a deposit on one of them. :D

I don't care where I am onboard ship; I don't spend much time in my cabin unless I'm sleeping or dressing. I started out cruising on Sitmar ships in the late 1970s/early 1980s -- with a family of 4 in a small inside cabin that was about in the same location as these.

At least I will have the cabin to myself and a window!

Seriously, as far as solo cabins go, they aren't the greatest deal on the market, but I have a significant credit to put toward it, which sweetens the pot.

The new ship looks beautiful and I haven't done some of the Western Med ports, so.....

Now I am confused. Have we missed something.... We do not get extra points as a couple, we each get our own points. Star levels are per person not per couple - trust me as I was cruising HAL long before I got married and my DH is a bit behind in points - and was a star level below for a while. Now I do know benefits are per cabin and assigned for the higher star level per cabin but those points were earned per person.

Yes, you are missing something. It's quite simple really. You are paying double occupancy and you are only one person. If you were on princess you would get double points. What part of this are you struggling with? It's very straight forward.

I just put a deposit on one of them. :D

I don't care where I am onboard ship; I don't spend much time in my cabin unless I'm sleeping or dressing. I started out cruising on Sitmar ships in the late 1970s/early 1980s -- with a family of 4 in a small inside cabin that was about in the same location as these.

At least I will have the cabin to myself and a window!

Seriously, as far as solo cabins go, they aren't the greatest deal on the market, but I have a significant credit to put toward it, which sweetens the pot.

The new ship looks beautiful and I haven't done some of the Western Med ports, so.....

I'm the opposite way. My comfort means more to me than money. Nothing wrong with either style.

I'm the opposite way. My comfort means more to me than money. Nothing wrong with either style.

I didn't say I was uncomfortable.

The point of my post is that cabin size/location isn't one of the things that matters to me one way or the other. If it did matter -- if I felt I was suffering in some way for it -- I wouldn't book it.

Good knowledgeable guides on tours matter to me. Good food matters to me. An excellent lecturer onboard ship thrills me.

Cabin size and location -- not so much.