Cruises to Cuba

godawgs2012

The lifting of the embargo has to be done by your Senate and House of representatives. They have to change or repeal the law that created the embargo in 1961. I personally don't see the embargo being lifted anytime soon.

Unless they do it before the new congress begins in Jan, I don't see it happening. It currently has a high level of bipartisan opposition within the current congress so again not gonna happen.

Sent from my D2-927G using Forums mobile app

I'd do it. The US deals with other countries similar to Cuba so there's no reason why the embargo can't be lifted. Cuba is a naturally beautiful place unspoiled by mass industrialization so it will make a great Caribbean destination.

I'd do it. The US deals with other countries similar to Cuba so there's no reason why the embargo can't be lifted. Cuba is a naturally beautiful place unspoiled by mass industrialization so it will make a great Caribbean destination.

Americans can take multi-day tours there now from several USA based tour companies.

No need to take a cruise there if you want to spend more than a few hours seeing the country.

Since the current cruise ship infrastructure cannot handle the majority of existing cruise ships, building the needed facilities would probably make the island look pretty much like every other port with Diamonds International and Senor Frog.

Count me in as one that would take a circle Cuba sailing.

Key West, Havana, Antilla, Santiago de Cuba, Cienfuegos, Nueva Gerona.

Where do I sign up?

Drop Key West and when you add in the obligatory sea day and an overnight in Havana, you have a very nice seven day cruise.

It's gonna happen. Clearly lifting the restrictions is a big carrot and it isn't being offered up front. Almost certainly there will be big cruise ship utilization. But it is going to take time. Will we have it in twenty years? Almost certainly, Cuba is too big and too close to FLL. But how much earlier than twenty years is anyone's guess right now.

Edited by Wehwalt

im from the UK, and I've been to Cuba. There is extreme poverty beyond words there. You really have to go there to see it as you cannot understand what having nothing really means until you see it for yourself as the words are meaningless until you speak with the people and see it. As for the old cars. There ar a few really good looking show ones but the majority are rusty and literery held together with string(vines) and gum/glue. I could list the basic. Of life we take for granted but even the small tiny every items you use would fill the page , when I say they have nothing-the list is endless. Havana is a must see if you ever get there but in the countryside the poverty will make you cry.

im from the UK, and I've been to Cuba. There is extreme poverty beyond words there. You really have to go there to see it as you cannot understand what having nothing really means until you see it for yourself as the words are meaningless until you speak with the people and see it. As for the old cars. There ar a few really good looking show ones but the majority are rusty and literery held together with string(vines) and gum/glue. I could list the basic. Of life we take for granted but even the small tiny every items you use would fill the page , when I say they have nothing-the list is endless. Havana is a must see if you ever get there but in the countryside the poverty will make you cry.

Totally agree with you. Having been there myself , I've seen the poverty as well. Even in Havana there are parts that are in poor condition. Renovations started then stopped due to lack of money and also workers who want or are willing to work .

Large industrial plants don't work due to lack of electricity , material and especially steady employees.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

I'm with you! I wonder how long it will be until those classic cars are replaced?

They are already being replaced. Until recently, Cubans were not allowed to sell cars built before 1959. Of course, with the average wage being only $20 a month, most Cubans could not afford to replace them anyway.

Now, if American old car aficionados are allowed to easily import them, they will surely disappear overnight. They are a part of history, in more ways than one.

I can't wait to see Cuba for myself in February. Some people on CC have mentioned the terrible poverty, but I am not certain that this is so. Poverty means not having enough to eat, obtain necessary medical care, and have a roof over one's head. It means being able to educate our children. It does not mean being able to have a computer in every home, international foods as opposed to nutritious locally grown fruits, chicken, pork, etc, however bland they may be to foreign tastes. It means being able to dress in clean clothes that protect us, as opposed to having a closet full of clothes that we seldom wear.

So many of the above mentioned necessities are provided by the Cuban government.

Not living in the 21st century is not necessarily a bad thing. I will reserve judgement until I see for myself. Apart from the cruise, we will be staying in private homes. I look forward to picking the brains of our hosts.

Even then, after spending only a few weeks in the country, I will not presume to be an expert on the country and it's problems.

I think this is some of the greatest WORLD news in such a long time. Putting all the political garbage aside, I think the opportunity to see that authentic culture, beaches and historical buildings would be a history lesson for all ages.

I agree wholeheartedly, I will look forward to experiencing a destination I have not previously visited. We need to move forward in the world...

From http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g147270-c129786/Cuba:Caribbean:Think.Before.You.Gift.html

Getting back to points 1 and 2: The thing is that Cuba is not the poorest country on earth and Cubans, while definitely poor by North American and Western European standards, are not the poorest in the world. This is not just in comparison with poor African countries, but also compared to many - if not most - of its immediately comparable neighbors. But Cuba is not located between Canada and USA or in the Alps squeezed in between Switzerland and Austria. It is located in one of the world's traditionally poorest regions. Apart from colonies that are heavily subsidized by USA, France, UK, Holland or Spain, what countries in that region are traditionally blessed with a flourishing economy? And when was Cuba? The poorest 5-10% of the population in Haiti, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Mexico, Colombia, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua are much poorer than the poorest 5-10% Cubans.

Without getting into too much detail none of these countries provide its citizens with the following:

1. A basic rationing system that provides every single citizen with enough food to survive on (but admittedly not enough to feast or get fat on).

2. Heavily subsidized basic living expenses such as cheap to almost free: Housing, electricity, water.

3. Free health care and free education.

This is all provided in Cuba.

If severe poverty is measured on factors like hunger, lack of housing and basic health care, Cuba cannot be considered a poor country.

With the news that the US will open a Embassy in Havana and will move to lift the embargo, would anyone be interested in a Princess cruise to Cuba if this all pans out? I think that it would most likely revitalize Caribbean cruising, having access to a port that has been closed off for decades. Thoughts?

Doubtful I would go. Those people have been oppressed for years and years, it's almost a slap in the face to them to see a big fancy ship come rolling in while they are living in poverty under their communist government. JMHO.

i mean poverty by what I saw.

No writing paper or pencils, erasers, crayons for kids to write on or draw. No cloths except what the resort workers asked the guests for the night before we went home. No aspirin or medicine for kids or adults, no tampons, tights, or plasters for cuts, no shoes soap, razor blades or anything you would use as norm on a day. I mean nothing at all. There was no paint or cement for house repairs, no windows and only sheet metal for roofs. Some places no door only a grill to close the house with. It is hard to really imaging NOTHING, until you go and see, and I don't mean what you see on a resort. The workers , to get a resort job must go to a college to train, get a certificate, and will be sacked if they don't come with clean shaven face, shoes polished ( remember - polish either) . They go cap in hand to ask for shoes that are too small or too big , to wear at work. For caps or work gloves to wear, t-shirts. We took a full suitcase of stuff for kids, cloths,toys,book,pencils, plasters the list was huge. A lip stick for box of tampons for the maid, meant more than money tips. They could not buy it even when they got tips as it's not there to buy. It's 8yrs since we were there and I'm sure it's a little better now, as I think China had started to sell good to them. The building were lovely old Spanish style in Havana but all were crumbling, due to nothing to repair them with. The people were awesome, lovely people. On our last night we gave our favourite waiter a men's toiletry bag, with travel stuff, like razors, soap, deodorant , etc. he was greatfull and came out to thank us, he was in tears because we had given him a bag with new stuff and not one we had taken out there and used then handed to him. I will never forget the Cuban people and the poverty I seen there.

If you get the chance to go, go ASAP before the world changes them and see for yourself, it will humble you I'm sure.

We went on a people-to-people tour to Cuba a couple of years ago. What an amazing place. If you get a chance to go, do it. But do it not to vacation, but to learn about a place so different from home.

Each day, someone from the home must take their chit of paper to the ration store to get a bun for each member of the family. The smell in that store was something I won't forget -- and not for good reasons. Most Cubans don't have much -- including toilet seats -- but they are some of the warmest, kindest people you will meet.

I hope the average Cubans will benefit from the US policy change, and not just the corrupt govenment officials. The US certainly deals with other countries we don't agree with, time for change regarding Cuba.

Doubtful I would go. Those people have been oppressed for years and years, it's almost a slap in the face to them to see a big fancy ship come rolling in while they are living in poverty under their communist government. JMHO.

Good point.....

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

I see your point, but the influx of tourist dollars should improve conditions at least some. Arguing which political system is better is pointless, too, IMO. If you want to see poverty, there are plenty of places to go, including North America. If Princess offers an itinerary to Cuba, I will be there.

...I'd jump on the chance to take a cruise to Cuba, I'd love to take a land tour there as well. Maybe cruise lines could make this an overnight port in the Caribbean? The ports are close enough that you could feasibly overnight and still visit the regulars.

I agree. A Havana stop would be the only reason I would want to do another Caribbean cruise, and an overnight would be a great opportunity for the majority of us who have never been there to see more of Cuba.

I understand your concern, but I've read that German cruise ships have been stopping there for years. I'm also not sure that Cuba is much poorer than many other Caribbean nations that US based cruise ships visit. Hopefully reconnecting with the US will be a benefit for Cuba in the long run.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I understand your concern, but I've read that German cruise ships have been stopping there for years. I'm also not sure that Cuba is much poorer than many other Caribbean nations that US based cruise ships visit. Hopefully reconnecting with the US will be a benefit for Cuba in the long run.

As well as British and Canadian cruise ships:)

Princess says that cruising to Cuba needs to wait for Congress to lift the financial embargo.

There are 11 ports there that could handle cruise ships, but not all of them could handle the size of all Princess ships. Havana is a problem because of the shallow draft there.

Princess looks forward to being able to offer cruises to Cuba because there is a pent up demand which can lead to higher yields (profit) in part because of the lower fuel needs required to go there from Florida.

Well, my wife and I, two weeks ago, returned from a two week land tour of Cuba which gave a very good overview of the place, mainly thanks to two very good guides.

Others here have given lots of information and experiences that will have provided food for thought to those considering going there on a cruise using USA lines, should that happen in the near future.

My opinion, fwiw, is that a cruise to just Havana will not provide a true overview and, more importantly, once the tourist trade is let rip, Cuba will become just a larger Caribbean island and much like all the rest.

One's view of Cuba is probably influenced by one's political persuasion.

USA corporations would just love to again make Cuba a playground both for the wealthy and mass tourism.

That though would mean that Cuba, as an anachronism in the current world, would no longer be so.

Princess looks forward to being able to offer cruises to Cuba because there is a pent up demand which can lead to higher yields (profit) in part because of the lower fuel needs required to go there from Florida.

Especially if they overnight in Havana, which I really hope they would do.

We would be first in line to sign up for a cruise or even land trip to Cuba. Luckily we have a president who is willing to try and push the opening of Cuba to the US. Now hopefully the US do-nothing congress will finally do something constructive instead of sitting around whining. I agree that Princess or any other cruise line out of the US will have any problems booking pax.