Extra charge mystery

David&Pam

It certainly has not happened to us. After our latest cruise, I was actually expecting a late charge because there were a number of items that did not appear on our final bill - particularly a number of last minute laundry charges I thought had not been put through in time. We have now been home three weeks and no sign of a follow-up charge.

As the new suite benefits are rolled out with the clear intent to nickel and dime high valued cruisers less, I've found charges for things like pressing and laundry are becoming less and less likely to need a coupon or be posted to an account.

We've had mistake charges, never post cruise, we usually find them on the TV as we occasionally scan, then do once last look over between the two of us as we pack. When we've had questions, the MC Concierge can quick print a copy before we head off the ship.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

As the new suite benefits are rolled out with the clear intent to nickel and dime high valued cruisers less, I've found charges for things like pressing and laundry are becoming less and less likely to need a coupon or be posted to an account.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Jenna

I had wondered if that was the reason. We certainly found in many areas that the rules were stretched in our favour.

I can understand a certain amount of flexibility being used in the year between announcing and implementing the new suite benefit. Going forward, it would be nice for laundry benefits to be formalised.

While checking my account on the cabin TV during our Silhouette cruise early this month, I noticed that there was a charge for ten dollars even that I didn't recognize. I asked the CSR to check the nature of the charge, to which she reported that there had been an additional tip applied to my account by The Lawn Grill restaurant where we had eaten the evening before. I advised her that I hadn't authorized nor signed a slip for this charge and she quickly removed it and apologized for the incident.

I was okay then and there, but later wondered how often these unsigned and unauthorized charges slip through and whether X has any policy to reduce the chances of this happening, if you know what I mean.

Edited by OuiOnboard
sp

We have had charges erroneously charged to our account both during the cruise and afterward about a half dozen times. When brought to the attention of the cashier or the Celebrity customer service the charges have been removed or reversed. We gave not had this problem in the past 3 years.

Just to cover ourselves I usually inventory and take a picture of the mini-bar on arrival and upon departure.

• 3 months later...

Is there a way to check the late charges that accrue after we've already received our list of charges? I do know for a fact that we did buy some shirts and martinis on the last night, but there is still another $60 unaccounted for. We may very well have spent the money and just don't remember where, so seeing an updated list of charges may help refresh our memories.

That;s what I was told when I called Celebrity. Charges are usually less than $10. Most people will not really notice the discrepancy. After reading postings on CC, I started to check my post cruise charges. On some cruises there were incorrect postings. I called Celebraty and was told "it happens all the time." Why? Is the bookkeeping on board sloppy or is somebody else taking the stuff out of the minibars? Either way, it wasn't me. Celebrity always corrects the error.

Is there a way to check the late charges that accrue after we've already received our list of charges? I do know for a fact that we did buy some shirts and martinis on the last night, but there is still another $60 unaccounted for. We may very well have spent the money and just don't remember where, so seeing an updated list of charges may help refresh our memories.

Depending on the sailing, your account is often still available on your TV until around 7:00am on the final morning. I am an early riser [around 530am] and always check on the last morning. I think there has only been on cruise when the final account had not been available then. It does disappear later and I think the latest I have seen it has been around 7.

We have done exactly that. And we still have been surprised with added charges for the minibar after the final invoice received onboard. Not a huge amount, but nevertheless annoying when we check our credit card account after returning home.

I asked and was told that he couldn't do that, but I could if I wanted to!

I always keep either a printout of our bill picked up on disembarkation morning, or a photo taken of our final bill from the account listing on the stateroom TV. I save that to compare to the actual charge that comes through. If there is a discrepancy (which I've had a few times) I call Celebrity and they've always identified what the charge is and taken it off if I've disputed it. Only happened a few times but I too wonder how often it happens when no one even notices it.

We have done exactly that. And we still have been surprised with added charges for the minibar after the final invoice received onboard. Not a huge amount, but nevertheless annoying when we check our credit card account after returning home.

They have always locked our mini bar the day before so I assumed if anything was used before then (we don't) it would appear on the final Bill that night, rather than wait until you leave the ship.

I assumed once we get the final bill, that is that and they don't add any additional charges.

We did get charged for a drink last year even though we both had a package.

I gave the bar tender both cards, I assume he only used 1 card and hence the second drink was charged, it took us days to get it removed by visiting customer relations several times.

after that I made sure the bar tender used both cards.

too much time wasted sanding in line at customer relations, behind everyone complaining about the smokers on the next balcony :)

We were about to complain one day but the room steward was phoning though as we stood at customer relations , so the stewards do police the policy, didn't stop the chain smoker though. he even had the cheek one day to poke his head around the balcony and ask if we minded him lighting up!!! GRRRR

Edited by bogofman