LIVE from the Pacific Princess. Cruise Tahiti with Sungirl. Glad to be back........

KCSungirl

I had to read along as we boarded Pacific Princess for the same cruise on April 1 of this year. But "April Fools" we were not! We had a great cruise, great weather, loved the ship and loved the crew.

We were those pesky people who didn't bother packing up and putting our suitcases out in the hall though. We stayed on for an additional 22 days across the equator, to Hawaii and all through the islands and then on to Vancouver where we called the kids to "come pick us up"! 22 days to cruise home rather than the better part of a day to fly home. The only way to travel!

Enjoy your days on Tahiti!

Terry

KCSungirl -

Thanks for the great posts! We are on the same ship and cruise nwxt Sept for our 40th. We've always wanted to visit FP and also try a small ship. We, too, love aft cabins and our last 2 Princess cruises have been in aft suites. We have an aft Owner's Suite for our FP Pacific Princess cruise.

We've not decided on all of our excursions yet but your comments are very helpful. Since we're flying to/from on Hawaiian Airlines (using FF miles...) and they only fly Saturdays we're staying 3 extra nights at the Moorea Hilton in an OWB. Glad you liked it and makes us look forward that as muchnas the cruise.

Hope your trip home was smooth and safe!

My wife and I have so enjoyed your insightful and entertaining review! We are just a couple of JHawk'sNExile living in of all places Stillwater, OK. Believe us when we say that we look foreword to future reviews. Next Oct we are taking the 28 day Hawaii & Tahiti cruise. Neither of us is up to flights longer than 5 hrs. Just to old, I guess. Thanks again!

Previous Cruises:

Alaska, May '07! ~Alaska, Sept '12!~Hawaii, Mar '13!~Can & NE, Oct '13!

Booked '15 Crown Princess 28 day Cruise ~ Hawaii, Samoa & Tahiti!

We are just,

“RetiredNTraveling”!(Mike & Betty)

Great blog Would like to try this itinerary someday

Judy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Welcome back to Papeete. Gorgeous sunny morning. The breakfast buffet and restaurant were both open til 8am or so. I enjoyed one more latte and scrambled egg plate. Disembarking was easy and relaxed due to a small ship and the fact that flights were late last night and very early this morning. Everyone had to be off the ship by 10am (out of cabins at 8am) unless they booked a post cruise package or transfers for a late flight. Well over half the passengers were gone before 5am. Not me! I get two bonus days to soak up the sun and enjoy panoramic views of Moorea. We leisurely walked off the ship around 8:30am. Taxis were plentiful. $30 ride to the Intercontinental Hotel, about 15 minutes drive from the port. Very close to airport.

I spent hours researching hotels on the island of Tahiti. I chose the IC Hotel because of proximity to the airport with a 7am return flight. Le Meridien would have also been a great choice, but I read weekday rush hour is very congested. Next timeI will try Le Meridien. FOMO! I think the IC hotel was the former Outrigger Hotel I stayed at 15 years ago. I remember getting a day room. If you want a day room, the IC Hotel is for sure the best option. Princess uses the IC Hotel for it's pre/post cruise packages. It's actually a pretty competitive price vs. booking on your own because it also includes the transfers. There is peace of mind in having a pre-booked transfer at Midnight. I like to live on the Edge, however. There is one reason why I never use a middle man - the power of upgrades and changes! If I book direct, the hotels are willing to work with me if I have any issues - If I am late, I want to extend, if want a different category of room, etc. When you book with an agent, you lose a lot of bargaining power. One of my many travel tips. Don't be penny wise and dollar foolish. I have to laugh because I met a group on the ship who bought their trip thru Costco travel. That seems like an oxy moron - Costco to Tahiti. The Costco sales ad should also come with a warning that there are NO Costcos in FP and you might have to pay $5 for a diet Coke.

So I worked one of my infamous deals the IC Hotel. I told you in my first post about my champagne dreams on a wine budget! PC goes and hides in a corner during check-in so I don't embarrass him. We have done this dance hundreds of times after 27 years of marriage. He knows my negotiations could take up to an hour. My goal is always to secure the most bang for my buck. I never book an entry level room. I also find the AAA rate at international hotels is usually the most competitive and sometimes includes breakfast. Hotel inventories change all day everyday. If something is sold out today, don't sweat it, it will be available tomorrow.

Most of you are probably as experienced as I am, so I am probably not telling you anything you don't already know. I don't share my secrets very often because I figure I would just come across as a "know it all" and annoy people. Do you want the boring details on getting the most bang for your buck?

Thank you for coming with me to French Polynesia. Thanks to those who took the time to post. I realize it's easier to read, than post. My primary goal is to educate and pay it forward with my own sillyness and style. Thank you to my loyal cheerleaders sunsetbeachgal and aussie gal. Your enthusiasm keeps me inspired to blog. I have a few more comments about the cruise. I will just add to this thread. I will also answer ALL the questions. Stay tuned. Unfortunately, I have no cruises in the pipeline today. Maybe tomorrow! You are always welcome to come with me on land. I hope some of you were able to see my photos/videos. I have a fairly full travel schedule this winter/spring. I will attempt to teach English in Spain in April. I hope I don't get fired for laughing too much. Pesado Amarillo- I hope we meet again and I can restock your beauty supplies. That would mean you are living my dream - back2back2back2back2back2back2back2back or a World Cruise. Cheers to you and that sexy man G.

Dang! I am at 19% and I just realized I forgot my converter plug. PC's wallet is shrinking by the hour.

Party On! Sungirl

Hey Paige- just got caught up with this. Now I'm off to find your Facebook page. It was wonderful meeting you. We are off the ship and in our hotel now. Internet for $5 an hour and fairly fast. I'm happy.

Safe travels, Happy New Year and thanks again!!

I can tell we are missing a lot by not cruising Tahiti.. Happy New Year to all..

Hi Jeannie!

Ki Orana. I might have mastered one Polynesian word. I'm a genius. I keep wanting to say Aloha. I was in Hawaii this past summer, but FP and Hawaii are worlds apart. The biggest difference - NO Japanese people! Japanese people like to shop, no shopping in FP except for black pearls.

Yes, I did upgrade myself at the Intercontinental Hotel from a panorama view room on the third floor to an Overwater Bungalow upon arrival. I always upgrade at check-in at less than half the price i would pay to reserve in advance. There was a nice family I met on the ship who had booked overwater bungalows at this hotel. I told them I was staying at the hotel also and would like to upgrade my room to a OWB. The woman quickly says "They are sold out". Baahahahahahaha. That woman obviously has never traveled with Fungirl before. I feigned humility and agreed that it probably wasn't going to happen. So who did I run into las night leaving our OWB for dinner? Mrs. Sold Out! She didn't even congratulate me. If you are going to underestimate someone you should have the good sense to give them a pat on the back for accomplishing a goal.

I will tell you that even if you only stay in a hotel one night a year, join the loyalty program online before you travel. Spouses should both join. Loyalty memberships get you a lot for free. I was not a IHC club member, but joined before making the booking. You get free internet for being a member. That is a great value. I will probably not ever accumulate enough points with an IHC membership to stay free, but I will enjoy the perks of membership. The IHC loyalty program led me to the upgrade. Voila!

People are funny. I love people watching and sometimes secretly photographing hilarious images. It's all in fun and I am sure someone has looked at me and thought I was some Tammy Fay Baker donut loving nut job. Ladies please don't let your husbands wear knee socks with shorts. it's not a good look. Athletic ankle socks ok. And don't go to DisneyLand and have Daddy and Mommy embroidered on the back of your mouse ears. Your given name is just fine. But my biggest peeve is people who travel and complain about costs, food, and everything that doesn't scream USA. It cracks me up to read review after review on how expensive food is in FP and everything else for that matter. Stay home. No one is making you go. Get over the sticker shock before you leave home. Otherwise I will think you have a mental illness. I can't imagine going on vacation and analyzing prices. Do that before you leave home. Enjoy the local cuisine and culture. You never know when it might be your last time to be lucky enough to spend $5 for a Diet Coke and $16 for a bowl of french onion soup and $100 for a room service lunch that rocks your world. The views and experience are priceless. There are always ways to stay within your budget. Don't get me started on British pound and Euro. Nothing seems expensive to me after traveling Europe. If you want champagne dreams on a beer budget go to SE Asia. Thailand is awesome. I guess it's the difference between tourists and travelers. Sorry for my pontification, back to regular programming.

Tahiti. If you are looking for white sandy beaches everyday, then Tahiti might not be the place for you. Tahiti is not about the beach, it's about the lagoons. If you love snorkeling and scuba diving you should run, not walk to Tahiti. It you like beautiful scenery, mountainous islands, the romance of Bali Hai or if you loved the movie "South Pacific" then you should visit once in your life. It's a bummer the airfare is expensive. I know that probably prevents people from visiting. If you visit in the austral summer, you also have to be prepared for bad weather. I know this by experience and I won't complain. It's a chance I take.

Pearl Shopping. OMG black pearls everywhere. There are investment pearls and souvenir pearls. I have no interest in investment quality pearls because frankly I can't tell the difference. Kind of like wine! If you want souvenirs look at all of the markets/shops and find the color, shape and style you like. I bought three pearl items - the Air Tahiti Nui bracelet in the duty free catalog on the airplane $70 LOVE IT, great quality. A necklace at Le Marche in Papeete from a street vendor $12. And a aubergine colored pendant at the pearl farm in Huahine$100. Grade "C" which is probably terrible, but I don't care. It's a souvenir I love. Total shopping for the trip $182. PC is so happy i am not a shopper. I just spend it all on airplane tickets.

We spent the entire day enjoying our OWB. Jumping and snokeling off the platform. Room service lunch consisted of Mahi Mahi sandwiches and caesar salad. Delicious. These bungalows don't compare to the bungalows in Moorea and Bora Bora as the water is too deep to wade around. It's still fun though to have an individual unit away from the main buildings and the privacy is romantic. Too bad I have completely exhausted PC once again. We can barely make it to the pillow without falling asleep.

We booked dinner at the $$$$$$$$$$ French Restaurant on property. I hear it's worth it. I will let you know. Off to more jumping off the platform and trying to get PC to take photos to make me look like a super model doing a canon ball instead of porky pig with good teeth.

Le Lotus is very nice. Hopefully you get a view of the water - the "floor show" with the fish was very entertaining to us when we were there this month. You should have received a drink coupon when you checked in for being IHG Rewards Club members. They are honored at the restaurant if you haven't already used them.

Sungirl,

Your writing is wonderful, so funny and hilarious. I love reading what you write and I am never tired of reading it.

I agree with everything you had to say. I cannot abide with people who spend thousands of dollars to get from home to somewhere exotic or different and then to find them whinging about the cost of food, taxis etc. in that country. Nothing is the same as at home and that is why we love to travel, to see the difference from what we are used to and to see how other people live. It is all part of the wonderful experience of travelling.

We too, like you, have splashed out on spending when we have been far away and not expected to revisit that country or city again. For example, we spent a wonderful day and night when at Machu Picchu staying at the Sanctuary. We knew we would never return and therefore it was a once in a lifetime experience. There are so many other times we have spent money on something special because we didn't expect to return. Sometimes we have returned and that has just been an added bonus.

Life is to be lived and enjoyed and we are lucky enough to be able to do both. Great to hear you are still enjoying your time at the IC.

Jennie

Welcome back to Papeete.

I spent hours researching hotels on the island of Tahiti. I chose the IC Hotel because of proximity to the airport with a 7am return flight. Le Meridien would have also been a great choice, but I read weekday rush hour is very congested. Next timeI will try Le Meridien. FOMO! I think the IC hotel was the former Outrigger Hotel I stayed at 15 years ago. I remember getting a day room. If you want a day room, the IC Hotel is for sure the best option. Princess uses the IC Hotel for it's pre/post cruise packages. It's actually a pretty competitive price vs. booking on your own because it also includes the transfers. There is peace of mind in having a pre-booked transfer at Midnight. I like to live on the Edge, however. There is one reason why I never use a middle man - the power of upgrades and changes! If I book direct, the hotels are willing to work with me if I have any issues - If I am late, I want to extend, if want a different category of room, etc. When you book with an agent, you lose a lot of bargaining power. One of my many travel tips. Don't be penny wise and dollar foolish. I have to laugh because I met a group on the ship who bought their trip thru Costco travel. That seems like an oxy moron - Costco to Tahiti. The Costco sales ad should also come with a warning that there are NO Costcos in FP and you might have to pay $5 for a diet Coke.

So I worked one of my infamous deals the IC Hotel. I told you in my first post about my champagne dreams on a wine budget! PC goes and hides in a corner during check-in so I don't embarrass him. We have done this dance hundreds of times after 27 years of marriage. He knows my negotiations could take up to an hour. My goal is always to secure the most bang for my buck. I never book an entry level room. I also find the AAA rate at international hotels is usually the most competitive and sometimes includes breakfast. Hotel inventories change all day everyday. If something is sold out today, don't sweat it, it will be available tomorrow.

Most of you are probably as experienced as I am, so I am probably not telling you anything you don't already know. I don't share my secrets very often because I figure I would just come across as a "know it all" and annoy people. Do you want the boring details on getting the most bang for your buck?

I will attempt to teach English in Spain in April. I hope I don't get fired for laughing too much. Pesado Amarillo- I hope we meet again and I can restock your beauty supplies. That would mean you are living my dream - back2back2back2back2back2back2back2back or a World Cruise. Cheers to you and that sexy man G.

Dang! I am at 19% and I just realized I forgot my converter plug. PC's wallet is shrinking by the hour.

Party On! Sungirl

SunGirl

Thanks for your very entertaining blog.

I've loved reading it and "traveling" along with you!

We've been to Tahiti twice on the small Princess ships and it's my favorite place in the world!!!!! :D

I'd actually love to hear your "boring (not a chance the way you write) details of getting the most bang for your buck." I DO know about joining all loyalty programs before flying any airline or booking any hotel.

About 10 years ago I had booked an overwater at the IC the night before our cruise. When we arrived they actually HAD oversold them so put us in an oceanfront BUT on the last day of our cruise (when we were just going to stay on the ship till our 10 pm flight - they used to let you do that) they gave us an overwater gratis for that whole day. What a way to end 20 days in paradise! :D

We enjoyed two amazing sunsets and views of Moorea from the OWB. I wish I could bottle it. I made videos, though. The last sunset was to the tune of Elvis "It's Over". Boohooooooo.

We had one of our best dining experiences EVER for our goodbye dinner - Le Lotus - the French Restaurant at the water's edge at the IC Hotel. I am pretty sure it was the most expensive meal I have eaten also. I normally avoid hotel dining. I like getting out of the hotels and eating at the popular local restaurants. That being said, the best meals I have ever eaten have been at Four Seasons and Peninsula Hotels. Now I can add the IC Hotel to that list. I am pretty sure Le Lotus runs independently from the hotel. We ordered the three course prix fixed menu option. Complimentary cold starters - duck mousse and pumpkin soup. I killed those in a half second. Hot starters - snails on a bed of mousse and Foie Gras three ways. Entrees - Lamb chops with mashed potatoes (I swear potatoes were made with Marscapone) and Mahi Mahi filet served with a roasted banana in vanilla rum sauce and some type of pumpkin confit. PC will never forget that banana. He said it was the best food and best banana he had ever eaten. He was bleary-eyed. Seriously. For dessert we both died and went to heaven. PC had raspberries in a dark chocolate bowl with vanilla and raspberry ice cream. I had the ultimate dessert. My two favorite desserts in one - a crepe stuffed with creme brulee'. Seriously sinful and a complete dream. We had nothing to drink, food only. Guess the tab with tip?

One more stroll back to the OWB to see the moon over Moorea. Words can't describe the feeling of being in the beautiful South Pacific removed from all the chaos of real life. However, I can't get Starbucks, Mexican Food, and a QuikTrip fountain drink fast enough. And TV. I yearn for Jimmy Kimmel.

Wake up call at 3:15am. I am not sure I even went to bed. Taxied to the airport from the Hotel. 5 minutes and $20. Passed on another BClass upgrade. PC and I have the "talk" before we reach the check-in counter so we don't argue as to what is acceptable to spend for an upgrade. Think Michael Clayton when Karen asks him at the end to give her a number. 5, 5 What? 5 hundred? 5 thousand? His number is always lower than mine. On the outbound, the upgrade was $1200/pp. A big no. On the return it was $720/pp. That was good with me! PC said NO! WTH? PC is really pushing it with the Princess. He is the size of a leprechaun, so economy seems fine for 8 hours. A horrible case of PMS - Paige Must Suffer. The Air Tahiti Nui Airbus A340-300 bound for LAX was NOT the same plane as the one going to PPT. Holy crap I could barely fit in the seat. Plane was older, dingy, no touch screen entertainment. The plane continues on to CDG from LAX so half the passengers are French. I will take that Air France 777 next time! Now that my butt is burning, PC suffer the wrath of my complaints.

Did you guess the cost of that dinner? $230 That does choke me a bit, but it was super special. I did get four free drink coupons, so that evens out some.

I'll be back......

Hi Paige,

I guessed $200 for the dinner per person plus tip and here in Australia, a 10% tip would be fine. Do you mean to say that it only cost $100 per person. That is fantastic for a great meal. You would die if you knew how much we have spent on a dinner at a 1-3 star Michelin dinner at a restaurant in Paris each time we visit! Think over $500, a bit less for a lunch and we have been to Paris 5 times, each time thinking it would be our last. We do love wining and dining and to us that is something we can remember and dream about. As you said, when you are somewhere special and you know you may not return, then do it. We will remember to eat at Le Lotus in 16 months time, in fact I am dreaming of the food that you ate now! Happy New Year, it is New Year's Eve here.

Jennie

Edited by Aussie Gal

We chose to overnight at LAX on the outbound and return. We didn't have to, but since we didn't have the luxury of flying to PPT a few days a head of the cruise, we didn't want to exhaust ourselves any more than we had to. We always stay at the LAX Marriott or Renaissance. With our road warrior status we can't stay anywhere else. Too many perks.

I could hardly get to sleep due to my excitement of knowing I was getting a Starbucks coffee at the airport. My exercise today consists of running to Starbucks and between gates at airports. I walked 8 gates today. LAX was packed with holiday travelers. After three consecutive years of Christmas travel, I am going to stay home next year and go back to Thanksgiving travel. We need to travel holidays to get those extra vacation days.

PC and I didn't have to have the upgrade "talk" today. We are in "C" class on SWA. C Class = middle seats. The joys of travel. I would have sat on the wing to get to my own bed tonight.

Back to cruising according to moi.

EXCURSIONS - I am a do-it-your self kind of girl. I travel independently, book excursions independently, etc. BUT there are times a ship's tour or organized tours are a good idea. It's the 80/20 rule. Cost has less to do with my decisions than safety and control of my time. I hate shopping and those organized tours always stop somewhere - rugs, pearls, perfume, rum cakes, etc. I can't stand to be held hostage to these things. On the other side of the coin - people can be so foolish trying to save money. Think about what it costs to miss the ship because you are stuck in traffic? or if you have medical issues? if language or safety is an issue? I take everything under consideration. I took a really bad fall a few years ago on a Celebrity cruise tour over land in Queenstown, New Zealand. I was the star of a sheep show. I was very well taken care of and it didn't cost me a dime. If I had been on my own, I would have been in big trouble. The older I get, the more I like the idea of someone else having the liability and an escort.

Tahiti offers limited shore excursions and they are basically the same in every port. Island tours, 4x4 tours, Pearl Farms and Vanilla Plantations, snorkeling, and scuba. If you are booking independently at the pier, I suggest being off the ship first thing. Most all morning tours are gone by 9:30am. I also suggest booking in advance online or thru the cruise personalizer.

Huahine - Book with ship or Huahine Nautical (Marc's Motu Snorkel and Picnic). Limited.

Rangiroa - Book with ship or Top Dive. Free shuttle at the pier to Pearl Farm. Very little to see unless you are a snorkeler. I made the right decision to book the snorkeling excursion thru the ship. Much safer in case of accident. Getting up ladder in rough water is always a challenge for me.

Raiatea - Tour operators at the port for motu snorkeling and various other tours

Bora Bora - Tour operators at the port. Moana Adventure Tours for jet skis, snorkeling. Top Dive for Scuba

Moorea - Tour operators at the port.

Car rentals are a good option also, but can be limited. I am not a car rental person. I much prefer to pay a driver to boss around and not having to worry about navigating, mechanical issues, and finding gas.

SHIP - The ship is leaving the fleet, so I won't go into any in depth analysis. It does have the same decor and furniture it had 15 years ago with Renaissance. It was in pretty good shape. but showing some wear. I am sure Oceania will redecorate a bit and charge three times more. The small boutique ships are special. Motion can be an issue. Lots of sick people on this cruise. A few got off the ship. I am sure the seas are probably calm a majority of the time, but it can't be predicted. Go prepared with Bonine for daytime, Dramamine for night time. Many people wearing the patches. Never figured those out as I never need them.

FOOD - The food was good. Food is not an issue for me. I am happy with salad bars and hot dogs. I have eaten myself silly all over the world. I don't cruise for great food. There are some standout items on the menu that I loved - Butternut squash soup, tomato soup, escargot, milanese chicken/veal, shrimp cocktail, creme brulee, souffles, I am sure I can think of more food items that I thought were above average. I don't eat fish often unless it is fresh off a boat. The Mahi Mahi on all of the islands was outstanding.

ENTERTAINMENT/activities - the ship offered all of the standard daytime activities - trivia, Bingo, dancing, crafting, lectures, casino tournaments, pool games, etc. I don't participate in anything except a random bingo or trivia game. Movies were shown daily in the theater. The weather was so bad on my cruise I never went to the pool, but chairs are always available. Evening entertainment was excellent, but I love all types of live entertainment - song, dance, comedians. I usually pass on hypnotists, but I think they are so bad it can be good!

CREW - the crew was awesome. I saw the Captain and cruise director on a daily basis. We did have a story with one employee - Irina, the barista, at the Club Restaurant Bar. Every morning PC would go to her to get latte/coffee. She was completely rude and unfriendly. PC is sweet and non-threatening, I can't imagine anyone being rude to him. It would put him in a bad mood. The first few days PC gave her the benefit of the doubt that maybe she was tired or upset about something. After about the fourth day he saw her hanging on the arm of the Food and Beverage Director. PC got mad. Irina doesn't have a need to be nice, she sleeps with the boss. Of course I decided to make it my mission to make sure Irina didn't get special treatment because of her relationship. I insisted we complain. I could tell all of the employees see that Irina gets special treatment and are probably afraid of her. On the last day I went to Irina to give her an earful if she gave me any trouble. She couldn't have been nicer! What the h**l was PC talking about? He just didn't have the right chemistry for Irina. He preferred Tamara, the barista in the Panorama Buffet. PC can't charm everyone i guess!

ShellBeachJim - Thank you for the heads up on the free drink coupons at the IC Hotel. I managed 4 coupons because they forgot to give them to me. Thanks a bunch. I owe you a drink.

I am off to my Mexican Melrose Place in a few weeks. Working on Morocco. Trying to decide if I want to do it independently or take an organized tour. The tours I have seen don't stay at the luxury hotels and I would never spend for Abercrombie and Kent handholding. I found some local drivers/guides but not sure I can spend a week with someone who might not bathe. After being in the security line at LAX with Saudi, Ethiad, and Emirates airline passengers, I almost vomited.

Happy New Year. Wishing you a happy and healthy 2015. It is always a pleasure for me to be "LIVE". I hope to see you soon on another cruise ship. I will come back and answer the questions. I haven't been able to go back to the beginning of the thread yet.

Cheers! Sungirl

SHIP - The ship is leaving the fleet, so I won't go into any in depth analysis. It does have the same decor and furniture it had 15 years ago with Renaissance. It was in pretty good shape. but showing some wear. I am sure Oceania will redecorate a bit and charge three times more. The small boutique ships are special. Motion can be an issue. Lots of sick people on this cruise. A few got off the ship. I am sure the seas are probably calm a majority of the time, but it can't be predicted. Go prepared with Bonine for daytime, Dramamine for night time. Many people wearing the patches. Never figured those out as I never need them.

Cheers! Sungirl

Where did you hear that the ship is leaving the fleet? I had heard that Ocean Princess was sold, but not Pacific.

BTW--loved reading your posts!!! I can't wait for my trip in Sept!!

Jill

ShellBeachJim - Thank you for the heads up on the free drink coupons at the IC Hotel. I managed 4 coupons because they forgot to give them to me. Thanks a bunch. I owe you a drink.

You're very welcome. Considering what the Intercontinental Hotel charged for drinks, your four coupons were quite valuable.

I hope to be able to cruise with you someday (we were on the cruise before yours) and take you up on the drink offer. ;)