Snorkel gear

Boatingmom

We did a Hawaii to Singapore cruise on Millie last year with lots of opportunity to snorkel in exotic waters.

We were first in the water at the Great Barrier Reef as we did not have to dig, try on and adjust different equipment just put on the stinger suits and away we went.

Nothing can ruin the ambience of a snorkel trip like a leaky or painful mask or a snorkel that tires your jaw.

If space is an issue we just pack our snorkel, swim goggles and Aqua fins which are small, soft and light made out of Crock like foam. Good enough in calm seas.

http://www.snorkelingonline.com/features-of-aqua-sphere-alpha-fins-video/

An advantage of your own gear is on many islands in the Caribbean you can see the snorkel boats from the shore and you can swim out to snorkel the same areas.

Our local dive shop has put on a 12 Days of Christmas sale this year and each day a different item of gear goes on sale 1/2 price.

When masks went on my wife bought the Cressi Focus for a price that could not be had on line. A very light, small and comfortable mask.

They had their Dive Certification class on for half price so we attended the free seminar last Wednesday and spent some time in the pool and then gave each other the course as a Christmases gift.

Find it hard at this time of my life in my 60's I am scuba diving but we plan to dive on our Caribbean cruises booked for March.

My wife laughed and said this will be us on our scuba trip.

We bring our own! DH and I purchased an inexpensive set for each of us with short fins and a dry snorkel. We were surprised at how much difference the dry snorkel makes. Our guide on our last snorkel excursion commented that our gear was nicer than his! I think we each paid $30 on Amazon.

baldercash,

I remember that movie. Yukes! That is why my son and I always want my husband to be a ride along. He wouldn't let the boat leave without us.

Yes, local dive shops do have some great sales especially this time of year When you are talking about your comfort or your life while in the water, price isn't that important. It took four different masks before I found the perfect one for me. My dive shop is great about letting you try different ones. Can't do that when you get the on-line. I loan mine out almost every pool dive for others to try. Yes it was a little pricey but I was getting tired of constantly holding my mask tight to my face with one hand.

I got certified at 64 and took every class offered. I became a SSI master diver at 66. I have lots of aches and pains but feel wonderful in the water. Wish I would have discovered diving years ago. I hope to be diving for many more years.

I have thought about purchasing some travel fins but I love my TUSA fins and would rather take a few less shoes or clothes to make space for them. They are easy on my old knees.

Enjoy your trip.

I definately reccomend purchasing your own gear- it really doesn't take up much room in suitcase--we snorkel alot- just easier to have your own equipment---

Suggest that if you are snorkelling during the last couple of days before flying back home, have a thick plastic bag to put equipment in as you pack- this way if there is any sand or slightly wet- won't bother the rest of your packing--

We rented a couple of times from a local shop for various land trips and then decided it was best to just buy the gear from them. Having the option to DIY snorkel at any locale is a plus.

We also take our own gear when doing an organized tour as well, as not only is the question of "where has this been?" avoided, our personal gear is always nicer quality and custom fitted for us.

We've found that we personally don't need fins nor their encumbrance, so we just pack our masks and snorkels in a day pack and we're good to go.

I'm with everyone else in recommending getting your own gear. It can be surprisingly affordable, and we have definitely found that it doesn't take up that much room in a suitcase - it's all pretty flat and "packable". The one other comment I would make, however, is that on a couple of occasions when we were concerned about luggage weight limits (for airlines) because we had to pack more for longer vacations, I simply left the fins at home and used loaners from the snorkel excursion operators (the fins weigh the most, whereas the mask and snorkel are pretty light.) I prefer my own fins, but this can be a reasonable compromise when necessary. It's somewhat less "icky" to use fins someone else has used. ;)

Where do you go to get a prescription mask. Is it handled similar to the drug store reading glasses, where they have standard magnification numbers associated with them (e.g. +1.75, +2.00, etc.)?

Thanks,

There are multiple types of prescription masks. There are some inserts of various diopters that stick to a regular mask - kind of like using bifocals. I didn't like these because small and costly for what you get, around $40. Top of the line is ground to your prescription and maybe $250. Third type is a compromise based on your prescription (sphere plus 1/2 cylinder). I got mine online from Snorkel Mart and liked it a lot (around $80 with a hard case). Could actually see quite well both above and below water and find my DW in the crowd! Of course I couldn't try this on before purchase (can be exchanged) but it fit my face quite well. Sadly, the mask had to go after I had cataract surgery and now don't need any correction.

Of course the best place to buy is a local dive shop, but didn't have one around. They fit the mask and send you prescription in. We only snorkel a couple of times a year so wasn't worth the better mask.

Edited by LeeW
more info

I have thought about purchasing some travel fins but I love my TUSA fins...

Yep ... bad fins are worse that a leaking mask...

Love my new Tri-EX. Grabbed then on sale for 60% off.

Bought DW a pair of Tri-EX, but she still likes her X-Ten ... too floppy for me.

We've found that we personally don't need fins nor their encumbrance, so we just pack our masks and snorkels in a day pack and we're good to go.

Maybe most of the time, but feet are almost worthless for swimming in a current

and you don't always know when you'll run into a current. We don't get in the water without them.

http://mauinow.com/2014/12/19/8-rescued-after-being-swept-into-current-at-pu%CA%BBu-keka%CA%BBa-black-rock/