Snorkel Gear for Kids

My grandkids will be cruising with us in Feb. and would like to try snorkeling. They are good swimmers. Is there somewhere you can rent snorkel equipment or should we buy some before the cruise? Since they will only snorkel in two ports (if they like it), I don't know if it is worth purchasing the equipment. Also, if you can rent, any idea of the price?

You can get a kid's snorkel and mask set for under $20 at a sporting goods store. Look for a coupon.

The ones they provide, in my experience, are yucky. Too many people use them and they just dunk them in some cleaning solution. Also, the snorkel is very basic, usually just a tube. Even the cheap ones that you buy usually have a guard on the end that prevents you from breathing in water if your snorkel goes under.

I would buy them at least a mask and a snorkel. Make sure you get a dry snorkel that keeps the water from coming down the tube. Check out Costco or BJ's as they have sets that are decent for a beginner and usually come with a bag for all of it. Don't get the cheapy masks as they leak, buying one that is a few dollars more will have a better seal and will save lots of tears.

We bought our kids sets on Amazon. We bought the adult equipment, too. Better prices than I found elsewhere. We stuck with looking at brands like Promate, Cressi, US Divers, Aqualung, etc. The cheap sets you get at Target, etc. often leak and don't usually have a dry snorkel. I didn't want the kids to have a leaking mask or get a mouthful of salt water on their first experience and turn them off from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sporting goods stores have display of masks. It is very important to get one that fits, so take the kids to the store, have them place a mask against their face and inhale through their nose. If the mask falls off try a different mask. Some operators have clean equipment, but others are really grungy. You don't need to buy fins, but do take your own mask and snorkel.