Taking food off ship - in Asia?

I don't know of ANY ports that will allow anything except pre-packaged food to be taken ashore. Even in Asia. As long as it's cooked, it's "hygienic" enough...eat before you leave the ship, and wait until you return, if you are that afraid of the food.

Edited by cb at sea

You must be on a pretty exotic journey.

Having spent 6 years living and traveling in Asia, I managed to find "hygienic" food all over the place... And even some delicious, delectable, and decadent dishes to boot.

I suppose, like in the states, some of the best food might not have passed the "hygienic" criterion though... Gotta love a good old greasy spoon. [emoji39]

I know we are not allowed to take food from ship to shore, and vice versa.

However, in Asian ports where getting hygienic food may be difficult, is there any exception to this rule? Can we have packed lunch for our shore excursions?

Anybody has any experience on this?

Thank you.

what party of FACTORY PACKAGED ITEMS ONLY do you not understand or think you are an exception to?!

I never got sick eating vendor food in Asia. I DID get sick eating in a 3 star restaurant in a major asian city though.

Why not try the local food? I have no idea what you mean by "hygienic" food, as the Asians are generally very healthy. Countries allow ships to come in with the understanding that passengers will spend money locally. If you want to do things on the cheap and just bring the free food from the ship, they are less likely to invite cruise passengers back in the future. If for some reason, you won't purchase locally, then just eat before you leave the ship, and plan to eat when you return. There is little danger of starving to death in the few hours you are in port, as the average person can survive 2 weeks without eating.

Asian street food is great - but if you are afraid you can pack protein bars, packaged cheese or peanut butter crackers, lots of options as long as they are in factory sealed packages.

Depending on the country it may be illegal to bring any of these items in even if they are in factory sealed packages. A good rule of thumb is to never take food of any sort off a ship.

Having said that I come from Australia where they take quarantine seriously and even put covers on the bins when in port to stop birds taking food scraps on shore.

Depending on the country it may be illegal to bring any of these items in even if they are in factory sealed packages. A good rule of thumb is to never take food of any sort off a ship.

Having said that I come from Australia where they take quarantine seriously and even put covers on the bins when in port to stop birds taking food scraps on shore.

So that's why the covers were on the bins. I thought it was so things wouldn't "blow around" if it happened to get windy.

It was always noted in the ship's schedule and also on signs at the gangway that food wasn't to be taken off the ship. And there was usually a cute little beagle checking your bags just in case you couldn't read. :)