Illness on The Infinity

jkgourmet

We stopped in pharmacies in Ecuador, Peru AND Chile. None would issue antibiotics.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Forums mobile app

And neither would they in the UK without a doctor's prescription ;).

Some make it sound like everywhere else is free from viruses and you are only likely to catch a 'bug' on a cruise ship - just take a look at the attendance registers at any school around this time: they are rife everywhere and anywhere, it's that time of year.

We have family staying over for the holidays from Oz and they are all coughing, sneezing, barking etc. - not one has been even near a cruise ship.

And neither would they in the UK without a doctor's prescription ;).

Some make it sound like everywhere else is free from viruses and you are only likely to catch a 'bug' on a cruise ship - just take a look at the attendance registers at any school around this time: they are rife everywhere and anywhere, it's that time of year.

We have family staying over for the holidays from Oz and they are all coughing, sneezing, barking etc. - not one has been even near a cruise ship.

My sympathies - most of my rellies are barking as well! ;)

Last December we were very ill following travel from Equinox. We were treated for h1n1. So I feel for anyone getting something coming home. So sorry.

We were thanking lucky stars no one was sick this year or last April.

Just an update from the OP. Don't shoot the messenger please.

In the end, all four of our group were ill with various upper respiratory infections. I also had the added treat of bronchitis. Three out of four of us ended up at urgent care and three out of four missed christmas dinner (two separate households in two separate states).

I have received emails from several others on our Infinity cruise who also became ill with serious UR Infections that required treatment.

The number of passengers who were hacking on that ship was a topic of conversation for passengers AND staff.

I'm not blaming the ship or the cruise line (except for insufficiently stocking adequate supplies of OTC cold medicines). But there is no question that MANY passengers on that December 4 departure were infected.

My only purpose is to warn those boarding the Infinity in the next few months to bring their own supplies of your medicine of choice.

Edited by jkgourmet

My only purpose is to warn those boarding the Infinity in the next few months to bring their own supplies of your medicine of choice.

I now never travel without my inhalers.

I was in perfect health before we set out for a land based holiday in Tenerife on Dec 19th.

Within 2 days I was coughing; I assume I picked up germs from the flight ( re- circulated air full of the germs that have been in schools in UK during the month of December.

Fortunately, I have also had my annual flu injection.

Interesting comments about ship doctors. From my own experience I would say they do exactly what they are there for - that is to treat the crew and also to ensure the shipping line is free from liability to it's passengers. If you as a passenger present to the ship doctor with anything remotely serious you WILL be offloaded.

The ship doctor is not there as your (the passengers) MD.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
Just an update from the OP. Don't shoot the messenger please.

In the end, all four of our group were ill with various upper respiratory infections. I also had the added treat of bronchitis. Three out of four of us ended up at urgent care and three out of four missed christmas dinner (two separate households in two separate states).

I have received emails from several others on our Infinity cruise who also became ill with serious UR Infections that required treatment.

The number of passengers who were hacking on that ship was a topic of conversation for passengers AND staff.

I'm not blaming the ship or the cruise line (except for insufficiently stocking adequate supplies of OTC cold medicines). But there is no question that MANY passengers on that December 4 departure were infected.

We too were ill on board Infinity departing Ft. Lauderdale December 4th.

Within days I was having coughing fits not helped with the ships need to have all air con on freezing cold. This illness continues still.

My boyfriend was ill on the last day when disembarking with acute stomach issues and was actually sick on the bus to the airport! Not nice!

Even some of the crew were ill so it was only a matter of time before it was rampant.

We got off the December 20th sailing earlier this week and can report that the problems are ongoing. We have cruised many times during cold/flu season and have never seen anything this wide-spread.

What Celebrity was trying to do right:

The staff was disinfecting surfaces everywhere, continually.

There was (supposed to be) no self-service in the Oceanview.

If you wanted to pass through the shop area on deck 5, you were funneled through a small opening in the pathway where hand sanitizer stations were set up.

Where they completely missed the mark:

Food servers in the Oceanview were observed coughing in the service areas.

Beverage service staff were frequently seen touching the rims of cups, soda cans and even wine bottles.

Hot water was not available to wash hands in the public restrooms. (Our cabin sink also didn't have hot water for the first 9 days of the cruise, despite repeated requests for repairs.)

There was no announcement of the respiratory illness. We received a letter one day 1 stating that on the previous cruise several passengers had gastrointestinal illness, but no mention of the widespread respiratory illness impacting large numbers of crew and guests.

I definitely think Celebrity could have handled this better.

Am still trying to recover from pneumonia/ upper respiratory illness after departing Dec. 4 in FLL

Am not surprised about the continuing situation with passengers & crew

And so are two out of our group of four.

I'm not blaming Celebrity for our illness. But. BEFORE we got sick, I honestly didn't feel that their sanitation on the Infinity was as good as what we've experienced on other cruise lines. Far fewer Purel machines, many of which were empty or broken. Staff made little effort to 'encourage' passengers to disinfect as they entered dining areas. We noted staff serving errors as well as staff coughing during our galley tour.

To hear it's a continuing problem saddens me.

Off infinity dec. 4 with pneumonia, still having effects, maintain ship needs thorough cleaning. Healthy when boarding in SD

Anyone boarding Infinity beware

Anyone boarding ANY ship, beware! It's the dreaded "cruise crud" and can happen on any ship! 'Tis the season.

• 1 month later...

It was the same cough on the Jan 18th trip. Spread through the ship - became the Infinity souvenir. suspicious that it was on two consecutive trips back to back. I "heard" someone on our plane home with the hacking cough and said were you just on the Infinity - and she was!

It was the same cough on the Jan 18th trip. Spread through the ship - became the Infinity souvenir. suspicious that it was on two consecutive trips back to back. I "heard" someone on our plane home with the hacking cough and said were you just on the Infinity - and she was!

Of course it went through the ship. It was too cold for most of us in the ports..most of us do not spend hours and hours outdoors touring in windy and cold nasty weather. So, most of us got colds. Thats it. I do not think there is more to it. The ports were cold period. Just possibly think the food could have been much much hotter...all was lukewarm both in dining rooms and buffet. But, Qsine was fine. Also they could possibly put additional draft buffers near the doors so cold does not hit you in dining areas.