Why Celebrity if you can't cruise w/Azamara?

dcsam

Seems many folks here really enjoy Celebrity when you're not cruising with Azamara. After 2 cruises, Azamara is our favorite. But we're looking into an Alaska cruise in May, and Azamara isnt a choice. We've cruised several times to Alaska - mainly with HAL. I see there are some good deals with Celebrity, and I'm hoping you good folks could tell me about Celebrity and how they might compare with HAL. The cruise I'm looking at would be aboard the Millenium.

Thank you.

Caroline

WA State

You must remember that the Millennium is an old ship, we have cruised on her three times and had a very good cruise, BUT this was some time ago.

But no older than an Azamara ship? Can you stretch to a suite - that way you will get the suite only dining experience which might compensate for the larger ship, if not definitely go for Aquaclass

You have to go with the mindset that it is not Azamara so some things will not be the same, but then you might enjoy other things you cannot get on Azamara (ie indoor pool)

We cruise on all three lines, and while Celebrity has been getting better and better, we would always choose HAL for Alaska.

One of the reasons is the outside space and wraparound promenade. You know that and you won't find it on Celebrity.

Fyi, we are on Millennium next year, but not in Alaska.

Edited by Jade13

Celebrity also doesn't have the rights to Glacier Bay that HAL (and Princess) do, but since you've been to Alaska before that may not be as important to you as it would be on a first-time Alaska cruise.

Hubbard Glacier is just as spectacular as Glacier Bay so I don't think you will be disapointed with either:D

http://www.alaska.org/advice/best-glaciers-on-an-alaska-cruise

You must remember that the Millennium is an old ship, we have cruised on her three times and had a very good cruise, BUT this was some time ago.

Hi Leesre,

I'd say the M-Class is older, not old. Besides, the ships are extremely well maintained. I sailed on Constellation last year, and the ship was in excellent condition. We are also considering sailing on her again, in the next few months.

Getting back to the OP's question, I cannot compare to HAL as we've not sailed with them... but from what I've read, if you enjoy the HAL experience, you should certainly enjoy Celebrity. If you have specific questions about the ships, feel free to ask.

I hope this is helpful !

Edited by Host Andy

Princess has the Pacific Princess doing Alaska. Nice 6 night cruise up, then 7 nights back. But I think HAL may be offering the best 'screamin' deal. For us, it is "all 'bout that space" and HAL has that. Alaska is all about experiencing the outdoors, so you'll find us soaking up the elements as much as possible. Still... I'd like to see what Celebrity is like.... some day. Ahhh... such a dilemma. Azamara has us hooked, and nothing compares. What to do.

Edited by dcsam

We will be taking our first Azamara cruise in February, so I can't compare Celebrity and Azamara yet. We have cruised extensively on Celebrity in recent years, and love their ships. But we choose cruises based on itinerary, and we definitely prefer the Princess (one-way) Itinerary to the Celebrity Itineraries for Alaska. Because of Glacier Bay, we have a cruise booked on the Coral Princess to Alaska in May.

We are HAL refugees, hence our move over to Celebrity and Azamara. We have been on six HAL Alaska cruises and one Celebrity. HAL certainly are having to slash their prices more than other lines, so for price and value for money, they are hard to beat. In spite of all the cutbacks, they still offer a great on board experience and a good choice of itineraries. We have one major problem with HAL, which is solely responsible for driving us away (after 21 cruises and 4 star Mariner status). We firmly believe, from our experience, that HAL are reducing the airflow to cabins during the night in order to save fuel and hence the costs. We are very sensitive to this, so it spoils our cruise as we cannot sleep in a hot and stuffy cabin ( we even feel and sometimes get, ill). If you are not sensitive to this (and most people do not seem to be), then go with HAL if the price and itinerary are right. If you are one of those unfortunate people who are sensitive to this problem, then think carefully (and don't expect any sympathy from HAL)! :rolleyes:

I have to add that we have not sailed on Azamara, as yet, and have not sailed on Celebrity for years (although we have upcoming cruises booked), but we are hoping that both lines will allow us air to breath at night. :cool:

I have been to alaska twice- once on Princess and once on Celebrity.I prefer Glacier bay over Hubbert. you sail in for hours adn hen out.. Hubbert you are just there for like an hour or so.

as far as cabins go i would get a small suite so you can turn around on either ship.

food- do not remember.

i would go for length in each port- some cruises are just to short.. i had great dinners in ports when we sailed at 8 pm.

Edited by ellbon

I have been to alaska twice- once on Princess and once on Celebrity.I prefer Glacier bay over Hubbert. you sail in for hours adn hen out.. Hubbert you are just there for like an hour or so.

as far as cabins go i would get a small suite so you can turn around on either ship.

food- do not remember.

i would go for length in each port- some cruises are just to short.. i had great dinners in ports when we sailed at 8 pm.

As we live in the Seattle area. We have cruise Alaska on both HAL and Celebrity. I really liked Hubbard Glacier over Glacier Bay. Go online and do a search for pictures of both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay.

As we live in the Seattle area. We have cruise Alaska on both HAL and Celebrity. I really liked Hubbard Glacier over Glacier Bay. Go online and do a search for pictures of both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay.

It shouldn't be a choice: our Princess cruise included both. But Hubbard was fogged out. Glacier Bay is so big that it is less likely to get unavailable.

We've traveled on HAL twice, on AZ twice, and on the Celebrity Millenium in March, 2014 to Viet Nam. On the Millenium we booked a small suite and got extremely lucky with an upgrade to a huge suite that we almost never left. As the OP wrote, if you can afford a suite, the better dining options such as Blue, are worth it. I was shocked at the constant up-sale on the Millenium, especially the never-ending shlocky art sales. The ship is old and quite shabby in places. My memories of HAL are more positive: Better food in the main dining room, better maintenance, less junk for sale cluttering up the hallways. AZ is a cut above, and more expensive as a result. My recommendation for Alaska is to shop around since there are many, many options. We went there on Crystal, but that is another story altogether.

Just a thought.....since you've cruised Alaska before, why not try Azamara's cruise to the Norwegian Fjords. I realize you are wanting to cruise in May, unfortunately the Norwegian Fjord itinerary is not offered until August 2015.

Just a thought.

Just a thought.....since you've cruised Alaska before, why not try Azamara's cruise to the Norwegian Fjords. I realize you are wanting to cruise in May, unfortunately the Norwegian Fjord itinerary is not offered until August 2015.

Just a thought.

I bet it is close to full- the June 2016 one is close to fill now..

Seems many folks here really enjoy Celebrity when you're not cruising with Azamara. After 2 cruises, Azamara is our favorite. But we're looking into an Alaska cruise in May, and Azamara isnt a choice. We've cruised several times to Alaska - mainly with HAL. I see there are some good deals with Celebrity, and I'm hoping you good folks could tell me about Celebrity and how they might compare with HAL. The cruise I'm looking at would be aboard the Millenium.

Thank you.

Caroline

WA State

Hi

Wrote a comparison between the 2 posted around 12th Dec or thereabouts. Hope it may help you.

Regards

Jen