When does the upgrade call come?

dduckieg

Hello all,

My DW and I will be leaving on the Breeze in 42 days. I currently have an interior room but was thinking about upgrading to a cove balcony. Instead of me calling and paying full price difference :(, I am curious as to when I might expect a call for upgrades :D. How far out from your cruises has this happened?

Happy Holidays and appreciation!!!

Hello all,

My DW and I will be leaving on the Breeze in 42 days. I currently have an interior room but was thinking about upgrading to a cove balcony. Instead of me calling and paying full price difference :(, I am curious as to when I might expect a call for upgrades :D. How far out from your cruises has this happened?

I have received the "upsell" calls from Carnival anywhere from 6 weeks out up to the day before my cruise.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise with your DW, and best wishes on getting the upsell call. Keep watching fares though, and if you don't get the call, and you see a better fare for upgrading, call Carnival and see if they will work with you. Prices tend to drop as sail date gets closer up until the ship starts filling up.

I have received the "upsell" calls from Carnival anywhere from 6 weeks out up to the day before my cruise.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise with your DW, and best wishes on getting the upsell call. Keep watching fares though, and if you don't get the call, and you see a better fare for upgrading, call Carnival and see if they will work with you. Prices tend to drop as sail date gets closer up until the ship starts filling up.

I personally would not count on it. I would watch the prices just like the previous poster said. Some people get the upsell calls and some never do. I have once but the price they were asking was insane. What you should do is watch the prices for the category you want and see if they drop any and see if they get to the point that you are comfortable paying it without the upsell call. Chances are, if the upsell call came, it wouldn't be that much different. They usually aren't. Be careful though, I wouldn't wait too long because you would want to make sure you don't wait too long and the coves sell out.

Hello all,

15 Carnival cruises so far and we've never been called with an upgrade nor upsell offer.

You may never get a call for an upgrade. We've been on many Carnival cruises and have never received an upgrade nor even a phone call for an upsell. If you want a cove balcony, call Carnival and book one. I wouldn't be waiting around for a phone call from Carnival.

Thank you all for the replies. Interesting to read the different responses. Some of you have cruised many times without every getting that call? I wonder what the criteria is, other than of course availability? This is our first interior cabin and I am starting to feel claustrophobic. Will follow the general consensus and sweat it out and watch my phone with anticipation....

Happy Holidays!!!!

I totally agree with those who say to watch the prices and upgrade when you see a price you can live with. In my 25 cruises I have never had an upgrade or upsell call. Whatever you decide to do, Boy Voyage, and I hope you have a great cruise! The Breeze is my favorite ship so far.

Thank you all for the replies. Interesting to read the different responses. Some of you have cruised many times without every getting that call? I wonder what the criteria is, other than of course availability? This is our first interior cabin and I am starting to feel claustrophobic. Will follow the general consensus and sweat it out and watch my phone with anticipation....

Happy Holidays!!!!

Cheaper is not always better. Like you I am claustrophobic and I would never book an inside cabin. I book what I want and not what I THINK CARNIVAL WILL OFFER ME, YOU WILL BE SORELY DISAPPOINTED IN THE END. Be happy with what you booked and paid for.

Can't begin to figure how CCL determines anything (from Free cruises to upsells). However, on our very first CCL cruise we were never called or contacted, but we got to port and onto ship without being told we had been "upgraded" (no charge) from OV to mid ship balcony. However, that was a smart move on behalf of CCL...we have never cruised since in anything lesser than a balcony...LOL!

We did receive ONE upsell....from a balcony to a GS for a very nice, fair price. Since there were 3 of us in one cabin on that cruise, we grabbed it. We received the upsell call the week before we were leaving....very exciting!! (We are waiting for a similar call this trip too....hahaha....it will probably NEVER happen to us again!)

Edited by buddylover

Many cruises with CCL and only one call....

October we booked a Jr Suite on the Sensation. Really just a balcony room on this class. Received the upsell to an Owner's Suite about 1 month out. Price was right so we took it as a one-time opportunity.

In this scenario the upsell freed up a suite/balcony. We spent more on the booking as I am sure the guests did that booked the available Jr Suite. Carnival won't make these offers unless it ultimately improves their income for a cruise. I believe the free "upgrades" are indeed a rare thing.

Have gotten called once. Was very surprised. Carnival doesn't make any money off us. We are 4 women always in a interior room. Don't spend much money on board. Was given a great deal on a grand suit. She said she was only calling those with 4 adults to a room.Was just a week before the cruise. We took it and loved it.

Received my upsell call a week ago for the New Year's sailing on the Breeze leaving this Sunday. Booked an inside but really wanted a balcony. Kept watching prices and unfortunately the ship sold out about 2 weeks ago. So that's even more bizarre to receive this call. Anyhow, she said since we are past guests of CCL, that's why we got the offer. Did get moved into a nice balcony room. Upgrade price was cheaper than booking an OV on this cruise. Score for us!

Thank you all for the replies. Interesting to read the different responses. Some of you have cruised many times without every getting that call? I wonder what the criteria is, other than of course availability? This is our first interior cabin and I am starting to feel claustrophobic. Will follow the general consensus and sweat it out and watch my phone with anticipation....!

Is it your first cruise?

We also have never been called for upgrading. But we also book using a travel agent.

Serene56,

This is our 6th cruise, our first time in an interior. Never received an upgrade call before (if we did we missed it). It's interesting reading who does and who doesn't. I am trying to figure out Carnival's logic.

Happy Holidays!!!!

Supply and demand. As an example, if the insides are all booked and someone wants an inside, they will offer an upsell/upgrade to the person with the inside to allow them to resell it.

After reading these postings for the past fourteen years, it would appear that the inside cabins get upgrade/upsell calls more than any other ones. I could be wrong but it just seems like it to me.

I booked a inside GTY on Inspiration on the Cyber Monday sale and was surprised when I found that I was assigned a porthole forward on the U, deck 6. Not sure if it was because I'm new to Carnival.

Tom:)

I booked on the Monday 24 hr sale...we cruise 1-26...when and how did you find our your assignment? Is it online under manage your booking? I have not done my check in yet trying to wait until we have a cabin...It's been a LONG time since we booked a Guar:eek: