Could Vista Be Based on Project Pinnacle?

cjknox

I don't know off hand when the idea began, but the information can be found on the episode of Mighty Ships that features the Oasis of the Seas. The ship was ordered in 2006, meaning it was being planned for years before that. Some of the newer attractions we are seeing at Walt Disney World were in development and being thought out twenty years ago. How long did it take them to get The Snow Queen/Frozen into the hands of consumers?

Let it go Let it go

:cool:

Sorry could not resist since you brought the Snow Queen.

You have you facts confused Richard. HAL got the Pinnacle class in name only. The design is completely different. For you in for this design was released years before Oasis and as KYBluecruiser mentioned Joe Farcus had designed something similar in the mid 90's.

HAL got the Pinnacle class. CCL will have to come up with another name now.

Did I stutter?

Richard

All logical indications show that Royal got their idea for a split superstructure from Carnival.

The split superstructure was first found on the Silja Symphony and Silja Serenade which are huge cruise ferries operating in the Baltic which entered service in the early 1990s. At the time Harri Kulovaara was the lead naval architect for Silja and the parent company. When he joined RCI he brought the idea with him and did the first version in the Voyager and Freedom class, then went the whole way with the Oasis class. I do hope that Vista is a genuinely new class of ships for Carnival but have not seen anything definitive either way so far. Deck plans and renderings will be the clue.

One thing I really hope they don't do is copy the dreadful layout of the Costa Diadema - a further modified dream class which just entered service for Costa. In that ship they have made the forward restaurant level and moved the remaining diners up to a converted evening buffet. They have then brought some of the other public rooms down. The design is cramped, crowded and dysfunctional. And the Diadema buffet is probably the worst to set sail in 10+ years in terms of layout and flow.

The split superstructure was first found on the Silja Symphony and Silja Serenade which are huge cruise ferries operating in the Baltic which entered service in the early 1990s. At the time Harri Kulovaara was the lead naval architect for Silja and the parent company. When he joined RCI he brought the idea with him and did the first version in the Voyager and Freedom class, then went the whole way with the Oasis class. I do hope that Vista is a genuinely new class of ships for Carnival but have not seen anything definitive either way so far. Deck plans and renderings will be the clue.

One thing I really hope they don't do is copy the dreadful layout of the Costa Diadema - a further modified dream class which just entered service for Costa. In that ship they have made the forward restaurant level and moved the remaining diners up to a converted evening buffet. They have then brought some of the other public rooms down. The design is cramped, crowded and dysfunctional. And the Diadema buffet is probably the worst to set sail in 10+ years in terms of layout and flow.

Thanks for the clarification Matt I didn't know this was the case

but considering Harri Kulovarra was the mastermind behind this, it's not surprising that this design feature found its way on to Royal now that he's with them now.

I too hope the Carnival Vista is truly something different design wise too; but even if it turns out to be based on Dream it could still look different as the Aida Prima is based on the Dream class too but there were many design modifications received; most notably the bow structure/design.

AIDA-Japan-Neubau-AIDAmitsu-2.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
As expected, Vista is a fourth generation evolution of the Destiny.

Exactly. More of the same from Carnival, but with even less public space and more cabins. This ship could not be further from Project Pinnacle if tried! Disappointing to say the least.