totally spoiled!

sunsetme

I ended up with a mini suite on a 10 day cruise on Royal and now I am totally spoiled. I originally booked an obstructed balcony mid ship which I was very happy with but as cabin prices dropped I noticed I could get a mini suite for the same price. I asked for obc but could not get that, so I asked how much an upgrade would cost as it was the same price I booked the balcony for. I also told Princess I did not want to be way forward or aft. They offered me mid forward (between forward and mid elevators) which was good because we could use the stairs forward if we wanted. I enjoyed the larger room, 2 tvs and the tub. The balcony was not as tiny as I had expected, we did utilize it a lot. We couldn't even fill up all the storage space. This was great but moving forward I go for price and location.

Yep. I made a similar mistake by taking DW on a First Class flight. Of course I was working at the time, traveling for work quite a bit, and the upgrade was comped. Now I'm retired and have a big problem ... Anyway, glad you enjoyed your mini-suite. You're going to have problems going back ... I sort of dread the day we get either upgraded or an upsell to a full suite.

Edited by beg3yrs

When I was working and flying all the time, I had built up miles so when we went overseas on several occasions on vacation naturally we flew business class (similar to first class domestic). Now that I am no longer working it is back in the cheap seats for us. We also have managed to get a mini several times either due to a Princess upgrade or the a price drop making the mini the same cost. It was fun and certainly very nice but so far it has not taken hold of us.

On the other side our first cruise was in a window cabin. The second cruise unbeknownst to me, the fare I booked included an upgrade. So thinking we again had a window cabin, we were given a balcony and spoiled for life. Every cruise since that time we have had a balcony!

I ended up with a mini suite on a 10 day cruise on Royal and now I am totally spoiled. I originally booked an obstructed balcony mid ship which I was very happy with but as cabin prices dropped I noticed I could get a mini suite for the same price. I asked for obc but could not get that, so I asked how much an upgrade would cost as it was the same price I booked the balcony for. I also told Princess I did not want to be way forward or aft. They offered me mid forward (between forward and mid elevators) which was good because we could use the stairs forward if we wanted. I enjoyed the larger room, 2 tvs and the tub. The balcony was not as tiny as I had expected, we did utilize it a lot. We couldn't even fill up all the storage space. This was great but moving forward I go for price and location.

Glad you enjoyed the mini suite.....:):):)

Bob

We're probably the only people on the planet who intentionally went from a grand class, aft, full suite, to inside cabins thereafter. :eek:

We never spent any time in the suite, or on the incredible wake-view balcony, and felt it was a waste of money for us. It all depends on your cruising style. If you can convince yourself you're booking cheaper cabins to enjoy something else instead, maybe that'll help!

As long as you're ON a cruise ship, you have a great cabin!

When I was working and flying all the time, I had built up miles so when we went overseas on several occasions on vacation naturally we flew business class (similar to first class domestic). Now that I am no longer working it is back in the cheap seats for us. We also have managed to get a mini several times either due to a Princess upgrade or the a price drop making the mini the same cost. It was fun and certainly very nice but so far it has not taken hold of us.

On the other side our first cruise was in a window cabin. The second cruise unbeknownst to me, the fare I booked included an upgrade. So thinking we again had a window cabin, we were given a balcony and spoiled for life. Every cruise since that time we have had a balcony!

DW has cruised 2 more times than myself (before we were married) since then it's been balcony or better, because she didn't like the experience of an inside cabin (I know everyone is different). I've never known what an inside or window cabin is like. Not bragging, just never had the experience. Enjoy the balconies, and even more so the mini-suites. I keep my fingers crossed that we never get upgraded, as I fear what the result would be.

We're probably the only people on the planet who intentionally went from a grand class, aft, full suite, to inside cabins thereafter. :eek:

We never spent any time in the suite, or on the incredible wake-view balcony, and felt it was a waste of money for us. It all depends on your cruising style. If you can convince yourself you're booking cheaper cabins to enjoy something else instead, maybe that'll help!

Steven & Daniel, I do agree with you on the basic premise that if I'm on a cruise ship I have a great cabin. The extra space in the shower is nice in the mini. I don't know how I'd feel about an inside, never having experienced that. But have enjoyed every cruise I've been on, and it's never been because of the room. It's always been because of the room steward, the wait staff, the bartenders, the laundry folks, the entertainment...I could go on, but I think you know what I mean.

Counting down the days!

Mini's are great! I've only cruised in a mini twice in 17 cruises but loved it. One was an upgrade from a balcony cabin so that was really a treat. I love balconies and when I can justify the expense, it's what I like to book. However, I often cruise in an obstructed ocean view cabin. Thanks to Renmar's information most of the obstructed cabins I've sailed in had very little obstruction.:D:D:D

Once you do a suite you won't want to go back....even if you think the cost is higher than you want to pay there will always be something saying you should be in the bigger, nicer cabin...lol...and if the line you had the suite on gives good perks...multiply the feeling times 2...at least :)

Yep. I made a similar mistake by taking DW on a First Class flight. Of course I was working at the time, traveling for work quite a bit, and the upgrade was comped. Now I'm retired and have a big problem ... Anyway, glad you enjoyed your mini-suite. You're going to have problems going back ... I sort of dread the day we get either upgraded or an upsell to a full suite.

So glad you enjoyed the "Mini". ;) However, If the Mini created an issue for you,,,,, don't ever accept an up-sell from a mini to a full suite! :eek:

We did and now we are cruising less often but always in a suite! :p They make you feel pampered beyond belief! :D

We are like minded.Although the best we have gone are Balcony Staterooms,we also thought that we were not in our rooms long enough to justify the extra cost.Now we book inside and use the money saved for more cruises. For us it makes sense !!

We are like minded.Although the best we have gone are Balcony Staterooms,we also thought that we were not in our rooms long enough to justify the extra cost.Now we book inside and use the money saved for more cruises. For us it makes sense !!

Same with us. The Royal convinced us that if we return it'll be an inside cabin for sure. A balcony that's a small as on the Royal isn't worth the money unless it's only a few more dollars. We'll take the money saved & use it for a longer vacation.