Quantum of the Seas - Focus Group

Trainman52

Having just returned from the 12/12 sailing of the Quantum, I think that RCI may want to consider having a passenger focus group to evaluate their experiences, particularly with dynamic dining. I, for one, would be more than happy to participate one if held in NYC.

I think they use EVERY passenger as a "focus" group...if folks buy it, they keep it. If folks don't book, they will change it.

I doubt that Royal will take such an overly simplistic approach. By the time people stop booking it will be way too late.

I sailed Quantum this month

Is RCCL going so far downhill or was it just the ship?

So many little cutbacks, I understand....but seriously!

Loyal pax is what made this company rise to top...we can also make it fall back down

Considering there are people who loved Quantum and there are so many other options in the fleet, the fall might not be as easy as it sounds. We heard the same about Oasis and Allure.

Loyal pax is what made this company rise to top...we can also make it fall back down

Cruised 19 days on Lady Q and despite the minor hiccups and glitches, we had an awesome time.

That seems like a spiteful thing to say...why would you wish failure on Royal Caribbean? We were on Quantum and had a wonderful cruise--not everyone feels that the experience was "so far downhill." In my opinion she can only get better as they concentrate on ironing out all the details and making everything work as intended. Sorry you don't feel that way apparently.

That seems like a spiteful thing to say...why would you wish failure on Royal Caribbean? We were on Quantum and had a wonderful cruise--not everyone feels that the experience was "so far downhill." In my opinion she can only get better as they concentrate on ironing out all the details and making everything work as intended. Sorry you don't feel that way apparently.

I would call our cruise "enjoyable". Was it the best that we have taken, not by a long shot; nor was it the worse. The ship is a "work in progress". I don't agree with RCI's decision to put it into service without having it completed. Everyday there were contractors on board working on installations. Yes, it was driven by economics. Dynamic Dining was far from a WOW. For some it was more like an Oy!. I have never seen a Windjammer as packed at dinner time as it was on this ship. That has to say something.

If you don't Like the overall experience on Quantum, don't sail on her again. There are hundreds of wonderful cruise ships available and each line offers different features. Why fret over trying to make Quantum something that it is not.

I'm sure the bean counters at RCI did their homework, including focus groups, before giving the green light to spend millions changing over to DD.

That's why it's puzzling to me that the vast majority of cruisers seem so dead set against it. And it doesn't seem to be just due to roll out problems. Even in our group of 10 where the DD experience went fairly smoothly, 8 people either disliked or hated DD and the other 2 (us) were neutral on it.

Did the bean counters get it that wrong?

I'm sure the bean counters at RCI did their homework, including focus groups, before giving the green light to spend millions changing over to DD.

That's why it's puzzling to me that the vast majority of cruisers seem so dead set against it. And it doesn't seem to be just due to roll out problems. Even in our group of 10 where the DD experience went fairly smoothly, 8 people either disliked or hated DD and the other 2 (us) were neutral on it.

I worked for the Government for 33 years. Certain things were "deemed successes". It is kind of like a shoe salesman fitting a size 10 foot into a size 9.5 shoe.

The point here is that if RCI thinks that Dynamic Dining was such a huge success, it is only a matter of time before it becomes the more dominant dining experience.

The WOW bands are also an egress into the world of "pay as you go". I have no idea if RCI has this in mind, but it is just a quick jump to charging for shows, venues etc. They scan you WOW band and bill your shipboard account. I can foresee the day when you will be sailing a la carte. Everything beyond your cabin and the buffet will be an extra charge item. I hope not.

I do have to say that they crew on board the ship was very friendly and helpful.

Really now? You and your entourage???....:rolleyes:

I am sure there were some beans being counted somewhere but it seems strange that not one person, to the best of my knowledge, out of all the tens of thousands of members on the CC boards has ever mentioned being part of any poll or focus group.

Could it be that like many decisions made by the government and corporate America their success is predetermined ( either correctly or incorrectly ) around a boardroom desk based on personal preferences and financial interests of the upper echelon?

I am sure that if they were to cruise on the Quantum not one of the "inventors" of dynamic dining would have to worry about making bookings or any other arrangements months in advance like those of us, the paying public, do.

OMO

bosco

I will be sailing on the Quantum Jan 3 and hope to have a good trip not what I wanted to do I like a lot of islands to stop and explore but wife wanted to experience a big ship. I am to understand that there are quite a few things people usually expect to have ie shampoo/conditioner in the shower automatically. Johnny Rockets cover fee but meal is free except milkshakes now ala-carte? fee for character breakfast????? All of these kinda things should be posted up front and real clear too so everybody knows the rules of the game before you play the game. The planing for this trip was difficult from the beginning dinners, shows, shows being cancelled, ports being cancelled, a day in PR during the feast of the three kings come on poor planning to say the least. not enough information from the start and my cruise planner will take about a dozen sheets of paper to print when one would be plenty. Have no problem ripping them if the cruise sucks and there are plenty of others o take their place they just have to hear it from anybody whom is unhappy. Here's to nothing!

I will be sailing on the Quantum Jan 3 and hope to have a good trip not what I wanted to do I like a lot of islands to stop and explore but wife wanted to experience a big ship. I am to understand that there are quite a few things people usually expect to have ie shampoo/conditioner in the shower automatically. Johnny Rockets cover fee but meal is free except milkshakes now ala-carte? fee for character breakfast????? All of these kinda things should be posted up front and real clear too so everybody knows the rules of the game before you play the game. The planing for this trip was difficult from the beginning dinners, shows, shows being cancelled, ports being cancelled, a day in PR during the feast of the three kings come on poor planning to say the least. not enough information from the start and my cruise planner will take about a dozen sheets of paper to print when one would be plenty. Have no problem ripping them if the cruise sucks and there are plenty of others o take their place they just have to hear it from anybody whom is unhappy. Here's to nothing!

The milkshakes on Johnny Rockets were $4.50. We had a Diamond "coupon" for a buy one get one free. Everything else there regardless of the cost on land was $2.50, including hot dogs and all the burgers.

We did the character breakfast. It was no charge when we first reserved it, but appeared in the Cruise Compass as an additional charge item. We were not billed. It was great for the kids (which we don't have).

They also had various Dreamworks events in the Esplanade. At one point they had a circus there. I stumbled onto it purely by accident. There is actually a "ringmasters" both on the forward side of deck six if you look up.

Focus groups are not only useful for pre-planning, they also help you to evaluate the success of your implementation.

I would call our cruise "enjoyable". Was it the best that we have taken, not by a long shot; nor was it the worse. The ship is a "work in progress". I don't agree with RCI's decision to put it into service without having it completed. Everyday there were contractors on board working on installations. Yes, it was driven by economics. Dynamic Dining was far from a WOW. For some it was more like an Oy!. I have never seen a Windjammer as packed at dinner time as it was on this ship. That has to say something.

That was very much my opinion too. However, I am concerned by the continuing number of posts I am reading talking about the lack of organized activities. I am worried that this might be another cost cutting measure.

I want a ship with plenty of cruise staff

That was very much my opinion too. However, I am concerned by the continuing number of posts I am reading talking about the lack of organized activities. I am worried that this might be another cost cutting measure.

I want a ship with plenty of cruise staff

They seemed to have plenty of cruise staff. Trivia was by far the most prevalent activity. Almost every hour on the hour. I like trivia, but...

I think they use EVERY passenger as a "focus" group...if folks buy it, they keep it. If folks don't book, they will change it.

I agree and having just returned from the 12/20 holiday sailing I WILL NEVER BOOK DD ship AGAIN! We tried it DD aka Disaster Dining.

From embarkation scene from the Walking Dead, people milling around to find the one live tablet to the Walking Dead waiting for a dinner table KEEP IT ALL! Ship is pretty but not all that pretty to make it worth cruise.

This was cruise 63, #14 RCL, never had a bad cruise but out of 63 this was certainly a contender!!!! How can you pay almost a BILLION dollars for a ship and get hardly anything right? Or even get to to work?

My review in more detail later....

George in NY

If you don't Like the overall experience on Quantum, don't sail on her again. There are hundreds of wonderful cruise ships available and each line offers different features. Why fret over trying to make Quantum something that it is not.

I will never sail them again if DD persists. My concern is that more lines adopt this whole crap system. Staff hate it too but are cautious in their comments. Remember Oasis and Allure are already scheduled to turn over to Disaster Dining. But not only DD so many small things, but small things make a cruise to me. Made up big signs, for cabin ICE by request only. Pretty much so is everything else. Robes shampoos etc if you don't request you don;t have to provided.

I only ate in J Rockets once or twice previously. On this cruise I heard a former fan condemn RCL for making not only a $5 milkshake but also reducing size and making it all self serve.

Hey I enjoyed my 10 potato chips and small butter cup of onion dip in Michael's they were great but $4 they should have been.

RESERVATIONS: make them or be gone with yourself. I had them so wait was minimal, just like the service once in there. Most common hostess saying, come back at 9:30 closing and we can fit you in. I URGE YOU to make reservations online. Also be sure to bring receipts etc because they have no clue half the time if you paid in advance online as required.

Just back from 12/20 sailing 10 minute embarkation really hahahahahah 45 minutes and considered ourselves lucky it was getting aggressive in the trenches.

George in NY

George in NY -- we had similar experience. Not 63 cruises under our belt buy probably 15 across multiple cruise lines.

I really like RCCL for their kids activities, and the did not disappoint me there. BUt there is only so much bread you can eat to validate the $$ you pay for this cruise.

IMHO, if they want to roll out dynamic dining they should not have cut the wait staff yet, but rather rolled out the concept. Made it marginally successful. Then cut back the staff. The really made a mess by trying to do both at once.

George in NY -- we had similar experience. Not 63 cruises under our belt buy probably 15 across multiple cruise lines.

I really like RCCL for their kids activities, and the did not disappoint me there. BUt there is only so much bread you can eat to validate the $$ you pay for this cruise.

IMHO, if they want to roll out dynamic dining they should not have cut the wait staff yet, but rather rolled out the concept. Made it marginally successful. Then cut back the staff. The really made a mess by trying to do both at once.

A number of the crew who shall remain nameless were not particularly happy with the DD situation. It also impacts on their tips as many people add an additional gratuity to the fixed amount that RCI puts on your bill.

Cruising used to be an experience, an adventure. Now it is a week at anything ranging from the Motel 6 to a Holidome water park.

The reviews of the Quantum on CC have been less than glowing.

My feeling is that if you aren't happy, let them know. Silence means consent.

Happy New Year to all.