Staff bent over backwards to make sure we sailed!!

Kruzin Karen

It'd be nice to know a few more details. Normally, if you don't have the required documents, you'll be denied boarding. It'd be useful to know what was presented and what was waived, etc...

It seems that San Pedro is somewhat loosey-goosey about documentation. Remember there was that whole long thread about a Hawaii cruise where the wife was allowed to board despite having no identification at all. It's one thing to have your driver's license but not your passport/citizenship papers. It's another thing entirely to be permitted to board with no proof of identity -- the lady could have mugged someone for their boarding pass, for all the port workers knew. I'm still shaking my head over the idiocy of allowing them to board. That said, based on that history, the people in this thread may have presented only a CVS card and been waved on. LA: where anything goes.

It'd be nice to know a few more details. Normally, if you don't have the required documents, you'll be denied boarding. It'd be useful to know what was presented and what was waived, etc...

I'd be interested in knowing also. I triple check all my paperwork and IDs before leaving the house as I don't want to left behind at the pier! I seem to recall another thread where rules were bent to get someone on board.

I suppose eventually no docs will even be necessary at the pier. They will just use a retina scan to ID you, and keep that on file for future cruises.

I'm glad your trip went so well! I agree, Princess customer service has always been wonderful to us. It's a great cruise line :D

People communicate very differently; some are more literal, others more prone to hyperbole. And of course, it's always harder to tell which is which over the internet! I didn't comment, but I admit I was taken aback by "we rushed the poor staff at check in, some of us yelling" when I first read it. Unfortunately, there really are people who will yell at the staff for things like this, trying to get their way through badgering and intimidation. If you truly had yelled at the staff, I wouldn't blame people for "grumping" - but clearly you didn't, and I'm so glad everything worked out for your trip! :)

Edited by snapdragon7

Thanks for all the kind words! Be assured that we knew we were the dummies in the equation. My BFF (who had dropped the documents on the car floor back home, it turned out) was indeed sobbing, and I'm sure my voice was raised as I had paid for the trip as a gift, and my dollars were on the line! I had no idea that these nice uniformed ladies worked for the port, not for Princess. Still an amazingly positive experience. As for the documents, my DH and I had our passports, and the other couple's 16 year old son had his certified birth certificate and his new state ID card that they got for this trip. The other couple did have valid drivers licenses, but had lost their certified birth certificates. They were questioned extensively and had to sign lots of documents, but they were allowed to sail. They also got a well deserved talking to by Immigration when we got back. I will be carrying ALL important paperwork for everybody from now on!

Glad it worked out for you. I can imagine how upset you all were.

We were coming back from a coastal cruise - Vancouver to LA. In LA one guy ahead of us handed his drivers license to the the Immigration official. He was told it wasn't good enough, but he said that was all he had. They did let him through after a few minutes.

We couldn't understand how he a) got into Canada in the first place, and b) how he got on the ship.

I'm happy to hear that everything worked out well for you! :)

On one of my cruises, my friends aunt left her passport in her luggage. I even asked everyone if they had their passports and I was told yes. There was a lot of yelling and running going on in that situation also. I was the only one out of our group that boarded the ship. In the end some very nice princess employees found her suitcase out of over 3000 bags. I had to grab her passport and run! I finally reached them at check in and when we reached the doors to the walkway leading to the ship they were closed behind us. We were the last ones to board the ship. Whew, I needed a drink after that one :eek:

So who was the mentor in this mission? Who was in charge of the newbies and making sure they had their ducks in a row? :D:rolleyes::)

A "senior cruiser" has to take the bull by the horn and keep these newbies in line.....LOL Somebody dropped the ball :D:p

Glad it worked out good for you guys.......they could have easily sent them away. Without proper documentation, they could've easily turned them away (as I'm sure you're well aware)

As for the people in uniform "working for the port".......if you're talking about all the reps in the terminal that are in a Princess uniform......I'm 99% sure their paycheck comes from Princess Cruise Lines

My guess-----> Those newbies won't go down that road again.