Last minute questions

Les Picantins

Just received our travel documents and am starting to mentally pack our suitcases. Although we've sailed many times on other cruise lines (mostly Seabourn), I do have a few questions.

1) I have read that jackets for men are not required, but will I regret not packing one for my husband?

2) I usually pack our mini Nespresso coffee machine. We are booked in a penthouse 1 suite and supposedly there is an Illy espresso machine in the cabin, but on the most recent coffee thread there is no mention of this. Will I regret not packing my coffee machine?

3) We booked our excursions back in June. We were recently informed that one of our excursions has been cancelled and unfortunately our second choice is already booked and there is no third choice that appeals to us. We are first on the waiting list. Should I make independent plans or do spaces usually free up once the cruise begins?

Thank you in advance for any feedback on these subjects.

Just received our travel documents and am starting to mentally pack our suitcases. Although we've sailed many times on other cruise lines (mostly Seabourn), I do have a few questions.

1) I have read that jackets for men are not required, but will I regret not packing one for my husband?

My husband prefers to have a jacket when dining in Signatures or P7, no tie

2) I usually pack our mini Nespresso coffee machine. We are booked in a penthouse 1 suite and supposedly there is an Illy espresso machine in the cabin, but on the most recent coffee thread there is no mention of this. Will I regret not packing my coffee machine?

The Francis and Francis Illy machines are very good. Better than Nespresso

3) We booked our excursions back in June. We were recently informed that one of our excursions has been cancelled and unfortunately our second choice is already booked and there is no third choice that appeals to us. We are first on the waiting list. Should I make independent plans or do spaces usually free up once the cruise begins?

Visit the Excursion desk upon boarding. Things change all the time.

My answers are embedded above

Agree with above. My husband also wears a jacket for the Captain's Reception (usually the 2nd night). While not required, it is more a matter of your own comfort level. You will see men in short sleeves, jackets and even suits with ties.

In terms of our own coffee machine, I believe there are restrictions on coffee and tea making machines in the suites due to the fire hazard (other than those provided by the cruise line). I have heard of people using them but this is something that almost all cruise lines have concerns about.

We have just had a penthouse and the coffee machine was there and very good.If not ask for one.I am not sure on their rules for people using their own electrical goods on board ( fire risk etc).

My husband very rarely wears a jacket, but he took one and did wear it from time to time,just because he wanted to and it felt appropriate with my dress.But they aren't required.

Tallship is correct.The excursion list changes everyday.some are cancelled by the company,some spaces are available as people cancel for various reasons.They have also been known to add extras spaces due to popularity.So do check regularly.If the excursion is really important,go on your roll call and see if anyone is cancelling that particular trip,or book you own just before you leave.

Bon voyage...

1. Bring your husband's favorite sports jacket. Classier by far.

2. Do not bring Nespresso machine. (But I respectfully disagree about

Illy; Nespresso is more consistent and has more espresso choices. Recent Cubania pods are incredible, and Arpeggio is our family's day to day favorite...)

3. Make independent plans. Look at best reviewed tours on the Internet, including Trip Advisor but cross-reference others too. We shared with others solicited on the cruise Roll Call and made new friends that way, but did a test excursion with them first....

Edited by JPR

Depends where you are cruising. My husband doesn't take a jacket in the Caribbean or warmer climates, but takes a sports coat to the cooler areas.

I agree with other posters regarding the coffe making machine. No need to bring.

As far as excursions, it depends. Are you going to be really upset if you don't get the excursions you want? If yes, make your own plans. If you aren't really that set on one thing,niche k back when on board. Stuff changes all the time. People cancel and rebook all the time.

What kind of excursion are you wait-listed on? If it's the kind of tour that they can add more busses to, you'll likely be fine. For example, a city tour that stops at churches and museums. If it's something like a glass-bottom boat tour that has a finite number of seats, then you still stand a good chance as you're first on the list. Destination services is likely working to increase availability to accommodate everyone who was on the cancelled tour.

2. Do not bring Nespresso machine. (But I respectfully disagree about

Illy; Nespresso is more consistent and has more espresso choices. Recent Cubania pods are incredible, and Arpeggio is our family's day to day favorite...)

Fascinating! I did not realise that the Cubania capsules had made it to the US. I love them for after-lunch coffee... and my husband's preferred capsule is Arpeggio as well. (I mix ristretto and decafinato intenso...) I agree that Nespresso is head and shoulders above Illy.

The world is united by Nespresso! I must propose that as a slogan to the people in Vevey!!

Gerry

Fascinating! I did not realise that the Cubania capsules had made it to the US. I love them for after-lunch coffee... and my husband's preferred capsule is Arpeggio as well. (I mix ristretto and decafinato intenso...) I agree that Nespresso is head and shoulders above Illy.

The world is united by Nespresso! I must propose that as a slogan to the people in Vevey!!

Gerry

I have never seen Cubania on the list available in the US but brought 100 back from London in October. I always have you preferred types of Nespresso in house so if you ever visit Philadelphia come over for coffee.:)

I have never seen Cubania on the list available in the US but brought 100 back from London in October. I always have you preferred types of Nespresso in house so if you ever visit Philadelphia come over for coffee.:)

Thanks for the lovely invitation!

The Cubania was a "Limited offer" here too, but seems to have been extended. Maybe they will keep it on the list? I could bring some over in March if you like and post it to you...

Thank you but we are good until the next time we're in Europe.

Hopefully the Alps snow storm is just beautiful and not to difficult for you.

Happy New Year!

I live in a small town surrounded by the Valais alps (and vineyards etc). Normally we do not get much snow here. This last storm dumped 50cm on us and it is still with us because it is also very cold (for here, that is) - was about -10°C over night. Everything is like a skating rink and we are eagerly waiting for the weekend because then the temps will rise and we expect rain which we hope will wash the stuff away. In the Valais resorts like Verbier (close by) they only got about 40cm but it has made a world of difference to the skiing... I would happily send them all the snow that we got if I could!

Edited by Hambagahle

I live in a small town surrounded by the Valais alps (and vineyards etc). Normally we do not get much snow here. This last storm dumped 50cm on us and it is still with us because it is also very cold (for here, that is) - was about -10°C over night. Everything is like a skating rink and we are eagerly waiting for the weekend because then the temps will rise and we expect rain which we hope will wash the stuff away. In the Valais resorts like Verbier (close by) they only got about 40cm but it has made a world of difference to the skiing... I would happily send them all the snow that we got if I could!

We have been in Switzerland about 20 times and know your beautiful area.

Our visits to the Valais have always been in the heat of spring- summer.

Enjoy your winter it must be beautiful after the ice.

We have been in Switzerland about 20 times and know your beautiful area.

Our visits to the Valais have always been in the heat of spring- summer.

Enjoy your winter it must be beautiful after the ice.

I hope the next time you come to the Valais you will let me know...it would be a pleasure to show you around Martigny.

And I do not enjoy ice under any circumstances except in a drink! And here right now it is hard to walk on any pavement without slipping. Will get better though as a warm front is coming in on Friday/Saturday and it will rain down here. Snow above about 1500m which suits all the ski areas. So everyone will be happy.

And Happy New Year as well!!

Gerry

I hope the next time you come to the Valais you will let me know...it would be a pleasure to show you around Martigny.

And I do not enjoy ice under any circumstances except in a drink! And here right now it is hard to walk on any pavement without slipping. Will get better though as a warm front is coming in on Friday/Saturday and it will rain down here. Snow above about 1500m which suits all the ski areas. So everyone will be happy.

And Happy New Year as well!!

Gerry

Thanks so much for the kind invitation!