Please tell me about deposits

EllieinNJ

When I booked my two NCL cruises, Hawaii in 2013 through a TA and Canada last June through NCL, I was only charged $250 for the deposit. Then I transferred my Canada cruise to another online TA who was offering additional OBC, free specialty dinner and bottle of wine. They said they could give me the OBC but not the dinner or wine because I didn't pay the full deposit. Didn't think much about it at the time because the 60 days for transfer was almost up, so I took it.

Now I was doing a mock reservation for a European cruise and a Panama Canal cruise in 2016. Both said the deposit was $500. Is this the norm? Was I getting a special for only $250? Also, I think the future cruise certificates you buy onboard are $250 so do you have to add an extra $250 if it says a $500 deposit? Thanks.

When I booked my two NCL cruises, Hawaii in 2013 through a TA and Canada last June through NCL, I was only charged $250 for the deposit. Then I transferred my Canada cruise to another online TA who was offering additional OBC, free specialty dinner and bottle of wine. They said they could give me the OBC but not the dinner or wine because I didn't pay the full deposit. Didn't think much about it at the time because the 60 days for transfer was almost up, so I took it.

Now I was doing a mock reservation for a European cruise and a Panama Canal cruise in 2016. Both said the deposit was $500. Is this the norm? Was I getting a special for only $250? Also, I think the future cruise certificates you buy onboard are $250 so do you have to add an extra $250 if it says a $500 deposit? Thanks.

The normal deposit for a 7 day cruise is $250 per person. It is possible that when you first booked it was during a reduced deposit sail. If you purchase a FCR certificate that counts as your full deposit for one cabin except for suites.

I think normally, the deposit is a percentage of your cruise fare. However, if you buy a Cruise Rewards, that $250 covers you entire deposit no matter what. NCL told me that the Repo Cruise I just booked normally had an $800 deposit, where as my Rewards were all I needed. I owe nothing until 90 days before I set sail in 2016.

How do you buy a cruise rewards?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You buy them when you are onboard and you can purchase up to 4 per person (they may be used anytime in the next 4 years). You receive an immediate OBC of $100 for the cruise that you are on so for a net of $150 you have the full deposit on a regular cabin on a sailing of 5 days or longer (might be 6 days or longer).

I think normally, the deposit is a percentage of your cruise fare. However, if you buy a Cruise Rewards, that $250 covers you entire deposit no matter what. NCL told me that the Repo Cruise I just booked normally had an $800 deposit, where as my Rewards were all I needed. I owe nothing until 90 days before I set sail in 2016.

Deposits are not a percentage of the fare. They're a flat amount per person that varies by the length of cruise and type of accommodation (Haven suites and Garden Villas being higher than other cabin types). They range from $50 to $5000 per person. This table provides the details:

http://www.ncl.com/about/payment-schedule

The Freestyle Cruise Rewards do not cover the entire deposit for Haven Suites and Garden Villas.