Important change to Barcelona taxi fares

I have not been on Cruise Critic for a long time but I felt I had to come out of 'forum retirement' to tell you all about an important change to taxi fares in Barcelona.

The 2015 taxi tariffs have now been published. There is one important change that will affect cruise passengers.

They have introduced a new tariff called T4. This sets a fixed price from the airport to the cruise port (and vice versa) of €39. This fare includes all extra charges and is the final price you will have to pay.

They have also given a price from the airport to Barcelona city of €29 for journeys Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm which includes two suitcases. It does say, however, that this is an ‘approximate price’ not a fixed price like the cruise port tariff.

There are a few other minor changes for 2015

* Suitcases will again be charged for. These are €1 per case (maximum 4 cases)

* The supplement to enter and exit the airport or cruise port which was €4.20 has been reduced to €3.10

* The supplement for carrying 5 or 6 passengers is increased from €2.10 to €3.10. Please note that only taxis with a 6 passenger licence can take more than 4 people.

* The price per km for the T1 tariff (Monday to Friday 8am-8pm) is increased from €1.03 to €1.07

You can see the full chart here

These charges started on 20th December 2014.

I don't understand why on earth do they have to increase the price per Km by 4% when inflation is negative right now in Spain, and oil prices are dropping!

They will then complain about Uber and others (which I do not support). I never use Taxis actually, but this policy seems outrageous to me.

I don't understand why on earth do they have to increase the price per Km by 4% when inflation is negative right now in Spain, and oil prices are dropping!

They will then complain about Uber and others (which I do not support). I never use Taxis actually, but this policy seems outrageous to me.

I am only reporting what àrea metropolitana de Barcelona have published as their 2015 rates because I thought members of this board might be interested.

Don't shoot the messenger :(

I think I will retreat back to my 'forum retirement' :)

Edited by English_in_Spain

Interesting and thanks for the info. Cruisers might want to consider that this new tariff means that a couple would pay about 20 Euros per person for a transfer. You might want to consider this when comparing to the cruise ship transfer prices (which can often be more then double that price).

As to the gas (petrol) prices, they are quite high throughout Western Europe (when compared to North America) due to the heavy taxes. The price of oil seems to have little impact on what we have paid for gas in Europe :). As to our European friends who might be reading this post, the current gas price where we live is about 60 cents per liter....and this includes about 15 cents of State/Federal taxes. Some other places in the USA are now down under 50 cents a liter.

Hank

Carol, I honestly don't believe that my post can be interpreted as negative comment to you in any way. I am clearly criticizing the taxi / authority decision (I take it you are not a taxi driver :D)

As for oil prices, yes it is a huge drop, even with taxes. The price in summer was 1,40€ per liter of gasoil, and now it's 1,15€. It should continue dropping even more.

Carol, I honestly don't believe that my post can be interpreted as negative comment to you in any way. I am clearly criticizing the taxi / authority decision...

Agreed; I didn't take it as negative toward OP at all. Sorry that she felt otherwise. And OP Carol, thank you for the information. :)

While as consumers we like to look at the actual costs related to the services we purchase, such as petrol, what we are really paying for here is the wait times that the taxi drivers face at both the Barcelona El Prat Airport and at the port.

Taxis are often lined up for hours to get these lucrative fares. I am amazed always at the sea of little green lights of waiting taxis as the ships sail into port.

I think the 39 euro fixed price is better for passengers planning and comparison as the taxi option always represented too much of a variable for cruise passengers and left them open for possible abuse.

In related transport news:

Aerobus has not reported any increase from 5.90 euro for airport transfer.

Moventis has not reported any increase yet for 2015 for the T3 port bus from 2 euro single.

The TMB has raised single journeys on public transport to 2.15 euros.

This means the budget airport transfer comparison option is currently

Blue T3 port bus at 2 euro.

D20 blue city bus with reasonable baggage allowed from Les Drassanes / Parallel to Plaza Espana for 2.15

Aerobus A1 or A2 to terminal 1 or 2 for 5.90

This budget option currently comes to 10.05 euro per person with the added 'hassle' of 2 fairly easy baggage movements between busses.

http://www.tmb.cat/en/acces-port

^^ I agree, and that's the reason a taxi driver will not want to take you some place nearby after having waited for a long time.

My criticism was about the 1,03€ per Km from the previous 1,07€ per Km, that applies to a normal taxi ride, not to when you wait for a taxi at the airport or at the port.

^^ I agree, and that's the reason a taxi driver will not want to take you some place nearby after having waited for a long time.

My criticism was about the 1,03€ per Km from the previous 1,07€ per Km, that applies to a normal taxi ride, not to when you wait for a taxi at the airport or at the port.

While it doesn't really apply to BCN, it has been amazing to see the effect the 30 euro fixed Madrid Barajas Airport to anywhere in central Madrid has had. Drivers now take the most direct route and avoid traffic problems and some of my trips now take 15 minutes when the drivers before would choose round about ways on occasion to 'pad' the fares and take over a half hour.

I am sure the taxi union had been trying to get even higher increases and even more regulation to stamp out competition from UBER.

Perhaps this is a bit off topic, but can someone answer a related question for a newbie, please?

Is there a taxi that can transport the seven of us (2 adults and five children ages 2 to 10?) Is there some other mode of transportation that would be better for us and all of our luggage? We'll need to get from the airport to our rented apartment and then to the cruise port a few days later.

Thanks!

Perhaps this is a bit off topic, but can someone answer a related question for a newbie, please?

Is there a taxi that can transport the seven of us (2 adults and five children ages 2 to 10?) Is there some other mode of transportation that would be better for us and all of our luggage? We'll need to get from the airport to our rented apartment and then to the cruise port a few days later.

Thanks!

Official taxis are very heavily regulated and the current chart for taxis only shows the supplement of 3.10 euro extra for a 5 or 6 passenger vehicle. That seems to indicate that official taxis are now restricted to 6 passengers even if more could fit. Previously, I seem to recall the supplement for up to 7 passengers, but that seems to have changed.

There are several transfer companies that will probably become more economical than taking 2 taxis, but I do not have personal experience with this. There have been previous discussions here about this, if you are able to find one with the search function.

We just took a taxi from the Barcelona cruise port to the airport.

Tuesday morning, about 8:30AM, during little morning rush hour. Arrived just before 9, total for two w/ 2 bags, $36.90. ;)

Do you mean 36.90 euro? I think your post indicates one fact that the new 39 euro fare is actually a small increase for those traveling after 8 AM and might be a small reduction for those traveling prior to 8 AM or on weekends.

Do you mean 36.90 euro? I think your post indicates one fact that the new 39 euro fare is actually a small increase for those traveling after 8 AM and might be a small reduction for those traveling prior to 8 AM or on weekends.

Yes, $36.90 Euro, that what was on the meter. :o

How far is the port to the airport? Trying to book flights. Most leave around 10:30 am. Will this cut it close or should I try to find something later? TIA for any information. It is very appreciated.

The taxi takes about 25-30 minutes to the airport depending on traffic. Although there are lots of taxis at the cruise port there are a lot of people wanting them. For a 10.30 flight you will need to be at the airport by 8.30.

I would recommend pre-booking a private transfer so that you will not have to wait for a taxi. The new fixed rate for a taxi is €39. A private transfer is about €45-50. For me, it is worth the extra few euros.

If you can do early self disembarkation theoretically you should be ok. Lots of people do it and have plenty of time to spare. Just bear in mind that delays can and do happen. Ask yourself how much of a problem it would be if you missed your flight.

The last time I tried to get a taxi to the airport from the port, I waited in line for over an hour!:mad:

Exact time of disembarkation and port passenger volume will affect wait times.

This is widely variable. I disembarked Barcelona on their busiest day of the year in 2014, May 18th when the port turned around 32000 passengers.

Early disembarks had no wait. First numbers had around 15 minutes wait, but by the second round things were up to about 30 minute wait on average.

As taxis started returning to the port for second and third rounds traffic did become a bit heavy for about an hour long peak.

The lines moved quickly with around 20 taxis departing every 3 minutes from each terminal. It was absolutely amazing to watch how the port was handling such a high volume of passengers.