What do your little ones wear while snorkeling?

mitsugirly

Our daughter has been swimming/snorkeling with us on every cruise since she was 3 years old. We cruise twice a year (except this year we were blessed with 3 cruises). So, the only time she actually gets to snorkel is on the cruise...although she "pretends" when she's in the pool. :D

I was introduced several years ago to the "puddle jumper" on here and it has been absolutely AMAZING!!! We tried floaties around the arms, regular boating jackets, the orange life savers...everything when she was little and it either tipped her on her back or tipped her flat on her face and she could not get up. The puddle jumper was the only thing that worked like a dream!!!

For those that do not know what this is and have little ones that are not swimmers yet...you really really need to check it out. Our little one has been using hers since she was 3 in the ocean, on the beach, in the pool and yes...even out in the middle of the ocean with huge waves with no issue staying afloat.

163055128985c?$478$

So now to my question...she is 6 years old and she has about outgrown this thing. It's getting pretty hard for her to get on without difficulty and she fights me like crazy not to wear it telling me "I'm a big girl now".

She did learn to swim 2 years ago, at the age of 4, and does pretty well even in the deep end and with diving down to the bottom of an 8 foot pool. However, I WILL NOT trust the ocean with her. There's just too many variables that can go wrong whether you know how to swim or not. I do not allow her to snorkel over her head unless she has something on.

The time has come to find something else. What do those of you with "older" kids use when snorkeling?

I recently discovered some ski belts that were used at a place we went snorkeling at in Grand Bahama and they were the absolute best thing I have yet to discover for ME! I have my own snorkeling equipment and this includes the snorkel life vest, but I seriously hate them!! The ride up you in places they shouldn't be, they go up in your face and I'm constantly using 1 hand to hold it down and they...suck. The ski belt went around my waist and I didn't even know it was there. I MUST HAVE ONE!!!

Have any of you used them and has any of your little ones used them? I have not tried them with our daughter and hate to invest in them if they don't work so great for a child. Any thoughts?

This is what I'm talking about...

p_130131_07323.jpg

Any thoughts or other suggestions are appreciated. :)

If I don't get any response here, I'll try the snorkeling board as well.

My boys use this. Hopefully you can follow the link. We took it on our last cruise and they used it along with their snorkeling gear at Sapphire beach in St Thomas. Worked perfectly and they really liked having it. They can both swim but it helped them snorkel. Hope this helps.

Aeris Snorkel Vest with Zippered Pocket - 3 Sizes (Blue - Small/Kids)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008YOCA4S/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_tMPOub19EA6A3

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Last tip my 8 year old used a pool noodle. They put it under the vest that they gave her. she could get out if she tried.

I forgot about a pool noodle. I may be packing a couple of those!!!!

My boys use this. Hopefully you can follow the link. We took it on our last cruise and they used it along with their snorkeling gear at Sapphire beach in St Thomas. Worked perfectly and they really liked having it. They can both swim but it helped them snorkel. Hope this helps.

Yea, we have those already and I hate them. They ride up you with the crotch straps and when they are inflated, they stay up in your face. We all have them and I would like to burn them. :p

Edited by mitsugirly

Last tip my 8 year old used a pool noodle. They put it under the vest that they gave her. she could get out if she tried.

I forgot about a pool noodle. I may be packing a couple of those!!!!

A pool noodle is fine in the pool, but I wouldn't trust it in the ocean with my little one. I don't like the idea that it's not "strapped" to them and they can let go at any time or the waves could cause them to let go. I need something that straps.

Has anyone used the ski belt that I posted above with a younger child?

Yea, we have those already and I hate them. They ride up you with the crotch straps and when they are inflated, they stay up in your face. We all have them and I would like to burn them. :p

Are they sized right for you? We use snorkel vests but don't inflate them too much, just enough to get a little flotation help if we get tired. We make sure the waist strap is tight enough to keep it in place so the crotch strap can't ride up.

Do you have a nearby store that you could take her to so that someone can size her correctly for a snorkel vest? West Marine or even a Dick's Sporting Goods would be able to fit her.

I would just be more nervous using something that isn't designed for snorkeling and have her get stuck and not be able to flip over. Is she a good floater so if she gets tired she can just relax? One thing we have always been lucky with is my Dad taught my son to roll on his back and float like a marshmallow when he was just 2.:p

Would she use something like this??

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=swim+belt

I couldn't get a picture to post, but you can remove one or two of the blocks from the belt.

I seen those while I was looking at the ski belts. It seems to be similar. Have you tried these before and do they work well?

Are they sized right for you? We use snorkel vests but don't inflate them too much, just enough to get a little flotation help if we get tired. We make sure the waist strap is tight enough to keep it in place so the crotch strap can't ride up.

Do you have a nearby store that you could take her to so that someone can size her correctly for a snorkel vest? West Marine or even a Dick's Sporting Goods would be able to fit her.

I would just be more nervous using something that isn't designed for snorkeling and have her get stuck and not be able to flip over. Is she a good floater so if she gets tired she can just relax? One thing we have always been lucky with is my Dad taught my son to roll on his back and float like a marshmallow when he was just 2.:p

Yes, they are the right size. They are just uncomfortable and I really wouldn't want her to have them un-inflated when out there. I have tried tightening the waist and it just doesn't work out for us.

I will check on a snorkeling vest and see what they are like. We do have a Dick's around here.

She's good at floating...but on her belly. LOL With her face in the water. That's the only way she can really swim. She struggles a little with swimming on top of the water with her face up, but man she can hold her breath forever (probably longer than me most of the time).

I just know that these ski belts worked wonders for us when we were on our last cruise, I just didn't try it on her and I'm regretting it now. I really think she would do good with them as long as it fit her snug enough. But I'm opened to all suggestions or what might work for others.

We used the swim belt while learning to swim. It does give the buoyance and is quite secure around the waist, but never used it during snorkeling. My DD (who is now 19) would never have snorkeled at the age yours does.;)

Good luck, I hope you are able to find something that is comfortable that also gives you a sense of security.:)

We have used the swim belts but not for snorkeling and only in a pool, not out in the ocean. I don't know how it would be in choppy seas.

Thanks for the info. I only plan on using it like if we are doing beach snorkeling, not out on an excursion in the ocean. However, there have been times when the beach entry snorkeling can go pretty far out. I always use my judgment though...if it's going to get too deep I won't take her or if it's just too choppy she won't go either.

We used the swim belt while learning to swim. It does give the buoyance and is quite secure around the waist, but never used it during snorkeling. My DD (who is now 19) would never have snorkeled at the age yours does.;)

Glad to hear that you have tried it and it worked out well. It should be fine if it works in the pool, it should work pretty well in the ocean since salt water tends to give you more buoyancy anyhow. I guess we'll have to just try it out and see. :)

I'm debating if my 4 year old should use the vest listed above, I have the small/kids one or her puddle jumper or her regular life jacket. We've used both the puddle jumper when she was 3 and her life jacket when she was 2.