Glacier Bay vs Sawyer Glacier...which one?

johnt83

Dear fellow passionate cruisers,

My wife and I are thinking of going to Alaska this year as we need to use our Norwegian cruise line deposit/credit. I did some quick research and see 2 options, 7-day Glacier Bay on the Pearl, and the 7-day Sawyer Glacier on the Jewel, both departing from Seattle. Have any of you been to Alaska before and which itinerary may be better than the other and why? Would love to get more insight... I do like to see Glaciers breaking apart and crashing into the water along with lots of awesome wildlife up there...just not sure which one to go on...I've been on both the Pearl and Jewel before, great ships. Thank you in advance for your tips and insight!

Best,

John

Dear fellow passionate cruisers,

My wife and I are thinking of going to Alaska this year as we need to use our Norwegian cruise line deposit/credit. I did some quick research and see 2 options, 7-day Glacier Bay on the Pearl, and the 7-day Sawyer Glacier on the Jewel, both departing from Seattle. Have any of you been to Alaska before and which itinerary may be better than the other and why? Would love to get more insight... I do like to see Glaciers breaking apart and crashing into the water along with lots of awesome wildlife up there...just not sure which one to go on...I've been on both the Pearl and Jewel before, great ships. Thank you in advance for your tips and insight!

Best,

John

You will see multiple glaciers in Glacier Bay compared to possibly two in Tracy Arm with the north and south Sawyer Glaciers. Ice conditions may also keep you out of Tracy Arm completely and Dawes Glacier in Endicott Arm may be substituted.

Something to consider: Glacier Bay is not only a national park but it is also a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site. The chances of wildlife sightings are also greater in Glacier Bay.

I vote Glacier Bay... there is far more ice to see and watch falling.

Sawyer is an embarrassment when compared to Glacier Bay. The poor thing has melted so much, it takes a cruise ship a few hours to go upstream 30 miles to look for the tiny patch. Then again it may be your last chance to see it.

I think on my HAL trip, the big boat went to Glacier Bay... but there was a Tracy Arm excursion that went in the Sawyer direction.

Sent from the Blackberry Passport w/ Snap

Yikes, "embarrassment"??? Is this poster aware that Glacier Bay has receded 70++ miles????

With the glacier priority referenced in the question, Glacier Bay will offer at least a look at 4 glaciers. But, if truly, glaciers are the priority, then considering the NCL Sun, round trip- offers the most. :)

I think both sailing areas are very scenic and absolutely worthwhile to experience. With Tracy Arm- I do think it is very "necessary" to budget for and purchase the add on ship excursion. Far superior to the cruise ship transit. A lot of people turn their noses up at the price, and immediately dismiss this tour. Think carefully. :) This is a tour with consistent rave reviews.

A significant factor, I also put out for consideration- these particular days, are just nonstop scenery loaded. It can be very rewarding to be up and out early as well as staying out late. :)

Looks like GB has it ! This was our day there. The best chance of seeing calving is at Margarie Glacier, where your ship will spend 75-90 minutes really close to it. Good luck, Tony

[YOUTUBE]hLutZrgzE6I[/YOUTUBE]

Usual timeframe at Margerie is an hour, with people, moving with the ship, offering you the most view. The Grand Pacific is to the right, which most people simply miss. :) Around 20 years ago, during my first visits, these two glaciers actually abutted each other.

I do like to see Glaciers breaking apart and crashing into the water along with lots of awesome wildlife up there...just not sure which one to go on...I've been on both the Pearl and Jewel before, great ships. Thank you in advance for your tips and insight!

Margerie Glacier in Glacier Bay is one of the better glaciers to see calving. As the Grand Pacific Glacier retreated it left a big trench and cliff that Margerie advances over so there tends to be more ice that breaks off than other glaciers.

This question comes up a lot on this board. IMHO they are both worth seeing. I did two Tracy Arm cruises back in 02 and 03 and a Glacier Bay cruise in 2012. They are both worth seeing but for different reasons.

With Glacier Bay you will see many more glaciers as many as 5 - only one will be a tidewater one (where the glacier is over the water). It is a National Park and the rangers do a very good job of describing the geology of the area. They are also on the lookout for wildlife as well.

Tracy Arm is more about the Fjord and its steep walls, tight turns, waterfalls and wildlife. At the end of it is South Sawyer Glacier. Tracy Arm does get clogged with ice from the glaciers and being that the channel is narrow, it makes it hard for the large ships to navigate to the end of it. Also with more ships in AK and a limited number of cruise ship permits available for Glacier Bay Tracy Arm is having scheduling problems too. Ships are on a tight timetable and often turn around way short of the glaciers. Early in the season, captains will often substitute Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier instead of attempting Tracy Arm. Actually the best way to see all of Tracy Arm is from one of the small boat tours offered by the cruise lines. On the Jewel (at least in 12) the small boat left ahead of the cruise ship and traveled up the fjord allowing the up close viewing of the waterfalls and glaciers. You transfer back to the Jewel up near the glacier and ride her out of the Fjord. On the Pearl you can take a similar tour that operates RT from Juneau - in fact when we were there, we passed the Jewel on the way in, and watched the transfer by the glacier. The only drawback to this is that it takes all of the shore time in Juneau. Also it is only offered from mid June - Aug due to daylight and icing.

BTW there is no guarantee that any glacier will calve while you are there :D

With Glacier Bay you will see many more glaciers as many as 5 - only one will be a tidewater one (where the glacier is over the water).

Sorry, you are wrong, All 5 are tidewater.

Margerie, Grand Pacific, Lamplugh. Reid and the John Hopkins.

http://www.nps.gov/glba/naturescience/upload/Overview%20of%20Glacier%20Bay%20Glaciers2.pdf

If you only expect one trip of a lifetime to Alaska, we recommend Glacier Bay. Otherwise, try to get to them both!

We are not sure if the selection of the ship would make a difference; we haven't sailed on either ship. We would also recommend you consider which ports are included in each itinerary to make your decision final.

Alaska can be a truly terrific destination!

The chances of wildlife sightings are also greater in Glacier Bay.

While I cant comment on which one has more chances, there is definitely plenty of wildlife to be seen in Tracy Arm (Sawyer Glacier). We saw whales, eagles (by the hordes), mountain goats (the steep walls allow you to get "close" to the goats...bring your binoculars), seals (with babies if you are lucky), bears, and the week before us, they saw a wolf!

Glacier Bay--all day sailing.

I was on the voyage of the glaciers that included Hubbard Bay. It was too foggy and there was too much ice for us to get close. Our ship had to turn away from Hubbard for safety.

I am glad our trip included both Glacier Bay and Hubbard; otherwise, I would have missed seeing glaciers up close during my trip.

Perhaps you can include a trip that includes both Sawyer and Glacier Bay. I am not sure if this exists?

If you decide on the Tracy Arm option, there is an excursion offered sometimes which will increase your chances of both seeing South Sawyer Glacier and wildlife. We thoroughly enjoyed it. On two trips into TA , those that stayed on the ship did not see the glaciers.