6 PM Sail Away

MsSoCalCruiser

It seems that delayed departures are becoming the norm on the 3 day cruises. Our cruise on the Golden in November didn't depart until 7 pm - announcements from the Bridge stated it was for "operational reasons".

There was discussion in another thread regarding the reason/reasons behind the delay, which ranged from:

1) an alleged slowdown by the dockworkers

2) retrieving a cart of baggage that had gone into the water

3) cleaning mussels out of the thrusters

4) the previous Captain took the keys to the ship home with him

(okay, I made that last one up :p)

Yeah, it was disappointing to leave in darkness, but we didn't let it ruin the trip.

Grey

Edited by Greyhound3

FLL is much further south than San Pedro. Total darkness here is at about 5:30pm.

The Crown seems to be sailing late almost every sailing. It could be any number of reasons. IMHO, sailing out of San Pedro isn't the most prosaic sailaway. About the only interesting sights are the restaurants at Ports 'O Call. :)

Relax on board, have your pre-dinner drink as usual. Have a great cruise! I know you guys will have a terrific time. Looks like the weather is gonna warm up a little for you.

:) Pam

Logistically speaking the real concern would be if one has early seating. When will the safety drill take place and will they delay both traditional dinner seatings to give folks time to fight the crowds and get the life jackets put away?

It's no longer 6 pm, it's 9 and boarding is at 5:30!

CROWN PRINCESS PRE-BOARDING HEALTH ADVISORY

Please be advised that during the current cruise there has been a slightly higher than expected number of cases of gastrointestinal illness among guests suspected to be caused by norovirus. Throughout the cruise we have been carrying out a comprehensive sanitation program and although case numbers remain relatively low, in an abundance of caution we have arranged for the ship to undergo an additional disinfection in Los Angeles on Saturday, January 3, 2015. Check-in for your cruise will be delayed until 5:30 PM. Please do not arrive earlier than 5:00 PM as the terminal will be closed for sanitation and there will be no seating or services available. To minimize terminal congestion we use a progressive check-in schedule as follows:

5:30 PM - Dolphin and Emerald Decks: Cabins begin with D or E

6:30 PM - Caribe and Riviera Decks: Cabins begin with C or R

7:30 PM - Aloha and Lido Decks: Cabins begin with A or L

8:00 PM - Baja and Plaza Decks: Cabins begin with B or P

Crown Princess is expected to depart Los Angeles at 9:00 PM.

Typically they go all-anytime and balance people between the three dining rooms.

This minor delay does, however, make it possible for me to have a delightful prime rib sandwich forunch at my favorite LA-area purveyor. Bright side, people!

FLL is much further south than San Pedro. Total darkness here is at about 5:30pm.

The Crown seems to be sailing late almost every sailing. It could be any number of reasons. IMHO, sailing out of San Pedro isn't the most prosaic sailaway. About the only interesting sights are the restaurants at Ports 'O Call. :)

Relax on board, have your pre-dinner drink as usual. Have a great cruise! I know you guys will have a terrific time. Looks like the weather is gonna warm up a little for you.

We are going to have a great time. Wish you were sailing with us. Looks like boarding is pushed back to 5:30 due to Noro on the current cruise. We will go with the flow. Might be a good time to have a martini in Crooners. The dining rooms are going to be open seating so could mean a wait.

Weather looks good for Sunday as well as Monday in Ensenada.

See you soon😊😊

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Does anyone know what this will mean for dinner? Our reservations are for 5:30 pm...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

The notice indicates that the dining rooms will be open seating. No reservations or set times.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The sun sets then but since there's no land to the west, it's light/dusk for about another half an hour. :)

Ahhh, yes, and as I sit with my computer in front of me and my window overlooking the ocean(however my home sits high on a ridge) the last rays of sun has left the sky. It is now 5:40 p.m. I have found that at sea level, the sun sets a wee bit earlier.

Wish I was going with you, too. :) Heard that you can now order Fireball whiskey on the Crown. You shouldn't have a problem with waits in the dining room unless you eat later. People will still be boarding so if you're at the dining room by 7pm, you should be OK.

Hey, could you find out if they will serve you pepperoni pizza in Alfredo's? It's not on the menu but I've been able to order it on the Sapphire and the Royal.

Hey, could you find out if they will serve you pepperoni pizza in Alfredo's? It's not on the menu but I've been able to order it on the Sapphire and the Royal.

Maybe if we can convince the Grand to come alongside? ;0)

Crown lacks an Alfredo's.

That prime rib sandwich sounds good. Think you could bring a few extra - like about 2500? :D

I'll see what I can do. If I get an SUV as my rental, I'll try to steal a couple of the serving carts, with entire prime rib roasts inside, but I'll be damned if I'm going to stand there and carve. It's my vacation!

I'll see what I can do. If I get an SUV as my rental, I'll try to steal a couple of the serving carts, with entire prime rib roasts inside, but I'll be damned if I'm going to stand there and carve. It's my vacation!

Alamo came through with an SUV. If someone will be a dear and procure 2500 french rolls, we're good to go.

Honestly, it would be kinda cool if Princess had a couple of LA's high-end food trucks show up. Canter's Deli has a truck, there's a couple of excellent Korean ones. . .

Alamo came through with an SUV. If someone will be a dear and procure 2500 french rolls, we're good to go.

Honestly, it would be kinda cool if Princess had a couple of LA's high-end food trucks show up. Canter's Deli has a truck, there's a couple of excellent Korean ones. . .

My vote is for an In-N-Out truck. Even if we have to pay for it, I think you have a great idea! I hope princess is reading this and orders a truck. Everyone make sure you bring enough cash because I don't want you to take my double-double from me. :D. :p