A few last minute questions

twinkle toes

Hi, just was wondering if anyone could answer these. 1) Do the staterooms on Princess have DVD players? The girls don't want to bring their computers if they don't have to. 2) How much do you normally tip the bartender when she/he takes your drink order, say, like in the Crooners Lounge?

Hi, just was wondering if anyone could answer these. 1) Do the staterooms on Princess have DVD players? The girls don't want to bring their computers if they don't have to. 2) How much do you normally tip the bartender when she/he takes your drink order, say, like in the Crooners Lounge?

I do not know the answer to the first question.

As to the tipping, an automatic 15% is added to the tab (bill). Some people tip extra because either they want to or think the bartender will give them free drinks. I do not know if that happens, but some people claim it has.

I have never seen a DVD in a balcony room. Don't know about mini suites and above.

I don't tip the bartender anything in that the tip is included. I think it is 15% but I could be wrong.

Every now and then I may tip a waiter over and above the included tip if he/she does something special for us or is extremely friendly.

Hi there

Inside,ocean view and balcony staterooms do not have DVDs I am not sure about suites

Tipping is very subjective. All drinks have 15% additional service charge added automatically, which I belive is divided up between the bar staff across the fleet.

we usually tip the bar tenders at the end of the cruise with an envelope if we have used a particular bar frequently and have had good service

Have never seen a DVD player in any Balcony cabin or in the one Mini-suite cabin that we have stayed in. 15% gratuity is automatically added to the drink bill, any extra is at your discretion. Hope you have a great cruise.:cool:

You do not have to tip the bartender. Gratuity is automatically added to your drink bill. But if your feeling generous, you can slip him some $ in the envelopes provided at the end of the cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Hi, just was wondering if anyone could answer these. 1) Do the staterooms on Princess have DVD players?

The brand of the TV is Viewsonic. You could probably bring your own player and hook it up to the TV (with the yellow, white, and red cords. There are no DVD players in rooms with the exception of suites. They have a DVD player and access to a DVD library.

The girls don't want to bring their computers if they don't have to. 2) How much do you normally tip the bartender when she/he takes your drink order, say, like in the Crooners Lounge?

There is already a 15% gratuity added to the bill. I just go with that.

:-)

Bonnie

No tipping of bar tenders. If you frequent the same bar and get the same bar waiter for most of the cruise then you may wish to place some cash into an envelope and give it to him/her at the end of the cruise.

If you are not in a full suite bring your own DVD player.

If you are on the Royal or Regal Princess they have some movies and TV shows on demand in the cabins.

If you are on the Royal or Regal Princess they have some movies and TV shows on demand in the cabins.
Royal, Regal and the Sapphire have hundreds of movies and TV programs available on demand for free. Many are relatively current. This is being rolled out to all of the ship's.

Interesting how many people had to post that the bartender already receives an automatic 15% tip. Wonder why people feel compelled to keep posting the same answer.:)

Because there are some posters who are notorious for giving out incorrect information. Because there are some posters whose replies don't make any sense. Because there are some posters who obviously haven't bothered to read any of other responses before they post. Pick any of the above.

I always have my coffee card and my husband has his soda card. Yes they add 15% when purchased, but the person who serves us doesn't give us a bill so no further tips. We generally go to the pool bar for his soda and of course the IC for my coffee and at about the same time frame daily. We do tip the person extra at the end of our trip. Don't recall ever not being very happy with the crew that keeps our beverage of choice coming and coming correctly :).

The only time I have had a DVD player on Princess was the one time we stayed in a suite.

Off topic but...HAL has DVD players in their balcony cabins.

I do carry $1s and tip an extra dollar or two to baristas, room service, etc... for extra service. If the service is at standard, I just go with the 15%.

Do the tvs have HDMI ports?

Yes to HDMI on most of their ships except I recall on the Grand a while back where they only had composite inputs. The Regal & Royal (and Sapphire ?) have 2 brands of TV's in the passenger cabins...Viewsonic and Samsung. Although you can't change the input to another HDMI on the Viewsonic you can very easily unplug their HDMI input cable & use that input for your own device. For the Samsung (which we had on the Royal) they used a Cat 5 cable to feed their TV and I didn't have a cable to plug into it and it was almost next to impossible to switch cables (but it could be done).

Royal, Regal and the Sapphire have hundreds of movies and TV programs available on demand for free. Many are relatively current. This is being rolled out to all of the ship's.

I counted the available movies on the Royal recently and it's around 134 + another 78 in Spanish & Germain if you want to count those. Out of the 134 a majority were older than a year or so but there were still many that we hadn't yet seen (only because we stopped watching the more popular ones 2 or 3 months before sailing). There were many of the old past TV shows also available...5 each - Big Bang, How I Met Your Mother, The Middle, Mike & Molly, Modern Family, New Girl, Two and 1/2 Men, 2 Broke Girls.

I suspect it won't be long before they introduce first run pay-per-view movies. ;)