Worried - About to book a group of 16 RCL

domenic

Who knows? They are more likely to act on comments from the people on the cruise than from here. You will be sent a questionnaire online, after the cruise.

I think RCCL is suffering from growing pains. Too many mega ships being built and not enough employees to staff them. IMHO, they are rolling out new concepts without fully checking to see if they will work or not. The Quantum is an example. People running around trying to check in people on iPads was terrible.

I haven't sailed on the Liberty for three years but I do know debarcation was terrible in Ft Lauderdale. Maybe it will be better in NJ.

I rarely ever read reviews anymore and haven't had a bad cruise yet. You never know what motivates those reviews. If I do I just skim through to see what people did in port. Book the cruise and go. Did you know you can grab a bus right at Green going directly to the cruise terminal? There's a few stops along the way but it's not a bad ride. I know you can book it direct but you may be able to book it through the cruise line too.

http://www.academybus.com/Cruises.aspx

Liberty of Sea of New Jersey July 2015

Reading many negative reviews about RCL service food and maintenance issues. Does RCCL read these posts and address the concerns

If you want feedback here, you are going to be more specific.

What are you talking about?

Are you just talking about the Quantum of the Seas?

That will have less than zero effect on the Liberty of the Seas.

Reading many negative reviews about RCL service food and maintenance issues. Does RCCL read these posts and address the concerns

I was pretty nervous for my first cruise after reading these forums - the disgruntled folks made me think that somehow our Captain would aim for an iceberg in the middle of the Caribbean that was placed there by a waiter who didn't like us - all in all, after cruising on Liberty, I was hooked.

It's the only 'luxury' vacation I take now (aside from backpacking for months), I won't go down South for a week to a resort when I can experience a number of different countries aboard a fine ship.

I was pretty nervous for my first cruise after reading these forums - the disgruntled folks made me think that somehow our Captain would aim for an iceberg in the middle of the Caribbean that was placed there by a waiter who didn't like us - all in all, after cruising on Liberty, I was hooked.

I LIKE the way you think (and write! ) ;)

It's no different than going on tripadvisor and reading a hotel or resort review. Pick out a resort or hotel you loved, and someone out there has had a miserable time and thought it was a dump with terrible service. Look at the majority ratings, and it will give you a clue as to where it sits on the 'scale'.

I LIKE the way you think (and write! ) ;)

I only cruise every other year but I make it a point to post here before and after our voyages. I really have to shake my head at the crowd that submits posts like:

I'll never book Royal again! I was disgusted that the 'JUMBO' shrimps we're 3 millimetres smaller than my last trip. The outrage!

or

Can you believe that I had to wait in line at the Windjammer? I decided to go to lunch at 'rush hour' and I had to wait?! I mean, I've graciously given Royal Caribbean 5 weeks of my life so I shouldn't have to way for the working class to peruse the buffet selections. I scoff at this! I'm HIGH CLASS DAMN IT!

Seriously though, if you go on the cruise with a group of people and have a legitimate issue (ask yourself, is your vacation really ruined because the steward forgot which way you wanted the toilet paper to face?) then take it up with guest services. If it's really troublesome and causing you actual bonafide stress, then speak with Guest Services and it'll be triaged with the rest of the guests concerns. They'll work hard to ensure that it's handled appropriately, on the other hand if you're demanding a full refund and credit for a future cruise because you asked for a steak to be rare and it came out medium-rare, then you should probably stay at home (but the rest of your group is welcome :D)

We've been cruising with them in groups of 10-40 for 8 years and are booked on the Liberty of the Seas in Oct. sailing out of Bayonne. I expect to enjoy her just as much as I did the first time. No worries.

RCI food has always been fine with me and I can't remember experiencing any specific maintenance issue on any ship. For those with a more refined palate, there's always the specialty restaurants.

Edited by Jimmers

Kifler - You had me in stitches! You're spot on! "I'll never book Royal again! I was disgusted that the 'JUMBO' shrimps we're 3 millimetres smaller than my last trip. The outrage!"

Look at THESE shrimp. RC legitimately labels these COLOSSAL.

From Chops on the Legend:

IMG_2198_zpsbc9c38ed.jpg

IMG_2199_zps4e23ac23.jpg

i've been on liberty 3 times over the past few years, with the last being just a few months ago (april/may 2014). it was our best cruise on liberty so far. service and food were outstanding. ship was clean and in great shape. we did the behind the scenes tour and were completely impressed with how the ship was organized and run.

don't let the naysayers get you down - everyone has different experiences. also, people are much more likely to post about a bad experience than a good one.

if your signatures are turned on, you can see our royal cruises (completed and future booked) are liberty - oasis - liberty - allure -liberty - quantum - liberty - anthem. are you sensing a trend? :D she's a great ship.

fwiw, royal supposedly does read these boards, and sometimes they will respond if there's a problem (i.e., delaying dynamic dining for oasis and allure because they got negative feedback about dynamic dining on quantum). i don't know how much response is from here, and how much from questionnaires, though cruise critic represents only a small amount of cruisers so it's more likely the questionnaires.

I can't remember which cruise line it was, but someone posted on cruise critic that they booked 3 cabins let the cruise line pick them and they were very far apart and the group was very upset when they got onboard. I'd just recommend double checking the layout when you receive your cabin assignments to ensure your group is close together. Please also confirm that your dining assignments are all linked, since the earlier you discover a mistake (if there is one) the easier it will be to rectify. This isn't a specific criticism of royal, which I've never sailed, but is just based upon my experiences cruising with family in general. Have a great trip!

In all my cruises, I've never had a bad cruise. The only one that came close was a few years ago, we reserved a hump balcony (9078)on the Serenade Medit. itinerary. We were looking forward because of the larger balcony (2X size.) However, the nightly entertainment in the Centrum/Atrium was so loud that it reverberated thru our cabin and couldn't get a decent nite sleep unless one went to bed a 1AM. We brought up the issue with customer's service and they tried everything to minimize the noise, even going as far as closing the emergency doors during performances. It did not help. Finally on the third nite of a 12 nite cruise, a balcony cabin became available further away from the Centrum. The new cabin was a lower category and RCL awarded us $800+ more than enough to satisfy us. We used it to good use and applied it towards our Allure cruise.

Happy ending. Enjoyed our Medit cruise immensely afterwards and almost got a free C1 balcony category.

In all my cruises, I've never had a bad cruise. The only one that came close was a few years ago, we reserved a hump balcony (9078)on the Serenade Medit. itinerary. We were looking forward because of the larger balcony (2X size.) However, the nightly entertainment in the Centrum/Atrium was so loud that it reverberated thru our cabin and couldn't get a decent nite sleep unless one went to bed a 1AM. We brought up the issue with customer's service and they tried everything to minimize the noise, even going as far as closing the emergency doors during performances. It did not help. Finally on the third nite of a 12 nite cruise, a balcony cabin became available further away from the Centrum. The new cabin was a lower category and RCL awarded us $800+ more than enough to satisfy us. We used it to good use and applied it towards our Allure cruise.

Happy ending. Enjoyed our Medit cruise immensely afterwards and almost got a free C1 balcony category.

Now this is nice to read -- to balance the posters that say, 'Royal did nothing to alleviate my problem'. I just wonder, what happened to have a balcony cabin become available on the 3rd night of the cruise to enable you to move. Glad it did, for you!

I can't remember which cruise line it was, but someone posted on cruise critic that they booked 3 cabins let the cruise line pick them and they were very far apart and the group was very upset when they got onboard. I'd just recommend double checking the layout when you receive your cabin assignments to ensure your group is close together. Please also confirm that your dining assignments are all linked, since the earlier you discover a mistake (if there is one) the easier it will be to rectify. This isn't a specific criticism of royal, which I've never sailed, but is just based upon my experiences cruising with family in general. Have a great trip!

Spend time on your dining reservations. Your group of 16 would split nicely into two groups of 8, which is a common table size. Get all the reservations linked and email RCL dining saying you want to be assigned to two neighboring tables of 8. They will respond with an email - print it out and take it with you. Check your table assignments as soon as you board.

Over many cruises I've had the most problems with dining tables. For one cruise I linked 8 people and got a confirm with a picture of the dining room map showing our table. When we boarded, our group was assigned to 4 random tables. I waited in line to speak to the Maitre D', showed him the email, and the problem was quickly resolved. It happens sometimes - that's just the way it goes. But you need to be proactive and have a plan for resolving this potential issue so you can move on and enjoy your vacation.

I have only been cruising since '97 and many others here on CC make me feel like a newbie with both their years and the numbers of cruises under their belts. That said, I always read posts, sometimes make posts and even get pulled into some M&M organization/party time. I love to cruise and like some others wonder where the very negative posts come from???How do some people even function in the real world??? Can they handle even waking up, putting feet onto floor and standing in the morning???Read the posts here and elsewhere with a grain of salt, balance out the words, knowing they are only opinions!!!!

I have taken my family and groups of friends on several cruises. It can be challenging but if done with everyone in mind, it can provide wonderful memories for all for many years to come. First, let everyone know what you are planning, ask for some destination input, departure port ideas (flights need to be considered for those joining the group from states or even counties away), consider ages of everyone(will only the adults sail or will the children and grandparents be coming too). Talk to everyone, ask if they want to have a cabin side by side or even on the same deck with others. Sometimes this is not even possible as some folks don't want anything but an IS, others just OV and some have to have a certain location for their balcony or even a special suite request. After that, it really is about making final ship, itinerary and date decisions. NOTE: sometimes the date has to be the controlling factor due to vacation/holiday time.

When I am booking and paying, I only book basic IS cabins and allow individuals to upgrade at their cost from there. That seems to work good for me/us. IF you are booking (not buying) for a group, you will need all of their information for the ticket(name as in passport/on birth certificate, address, DOB) and if you are making their deposits, the easiest I have found is to have them pay you and then make a single CC deposit with you TA or with the cruise line if booking directly. Always as to talk to someone about a group booking. They can be most helpful in getting everyone just what they want.

I have sailed in some very unsettling hurricane weather and even then have never had a "bad" cruise. When given the option of repeating that cruise or working 60+ hours a week, well, you can see why I enjoy cruising!!!!

Don't let others diminish the fun you and your family/friends are going to have by giving you a list of negatives. Have fun researching, planning and sailing!!! I am already looking forward to reading the reviews you all are going to be writing!!! ENJOY!!!

Now this is nice to read -- to balance the posters that say, 'Royal did nothing to alleviate my problem'. I just wonder, what happened to have a balcony cabin become available on the 3rd night of the cruise to enable you to move. Glad it did, for you!

A German couple got off on one of the ports.

I have cruised with a group of 8, never more. Once we decided on the cruise we wanted to take, the specific week & the specific dining time everyone independently booked their cabin. If we are using the same TA they can set up the cabins to be near each other, but sometimes, everyone's budget doesn't allow for that either. They also can set up our dining, so we are all at the same table.

If however we are not booking through the same travel agent, then, once we have our reservations, I reach out to rcldining@rccl.com to arrange that we are seated at the same table. This email address has always been very helpful these dining issues.

I can't remember which cruise line it was, but someone posted on cruise critic that they booked 3 cabins let the cruise line pick them and they were very far apart and the group was very upset when they got onboard.

If that's something that's important to someone, they should ask about it. It's not like a cruise line is going to be able to intuit who's traveling with best buddies and who's travelling with obligate relatives they'd rather never see. (And having a checklist of questions that AREN'T normally accounted for on the website is a pretty good reason to have an effective travel agent. Good ones will ask as part of the booking process whether the best cabins should be picked or ones together, tend aft or tend forward, know to ask families with teens whether they'd want to be just a couple of decks down from the teen center, etc.)