Has smoking on balconies really stopped?

DKF97

NO.. It hasn't.. Only for the "Honest" people who go by the rules. I was on the Pride dec 14 cruise and had a aft balcony (7300). I like to sleep with the door open since my cabin was ice cold and couldn't get the ac to warm up and also to hear the prop wash. ANYHOW... I wake up in middle of night with my cabin smelling of cig odor. Later in week I look outside and can see the flash of my neighbor lighting his lighter and cigarettes.

People normally "break the rules" and smoke on balconys late at night thinking everyone else is sleeping and wont notice.. Well.. I DID.

Edited by navyvet8395

Recent reports indicate this enforcement is powered by guest complaints.

Apparently, according to the member who reported it here (sorry whoever it was - I forgot your username), he/she called Guest Services and requested security/enforcement of the policy. Security never came and information later came to prove that the stateroom steward was requested to inspect staterooms in his section to see if anyone in the rooms were smokers.

This could lead to those innocent being charged the cleaning fee, as well as stateroom stewards hunting down your cigarettes through your belongings.

I really feel sorry for the stewards being put in this position. It would not be hard for anyone, other passengers, stewards or anyone else to pick out the smokers in your area of the ship. Most smokers that I know don't even try to hide the fact that they smoke, they buy cheaper cigarettes on the ship and don't hide them like contraband. They leave them out in full view of the stewards. It doesn't mean they smoke in their rooms or anywhere else smoking is restricted. Guests complain about smoke when walking through a designated smoking area or riding in an elevator when a smoker that has been smoking in the designated smoking area. That's just the way it is.

I think Carnival is trying very hard to compete with Disney and others for a more "family friendly" cruising experience and removing themselves from the "party ship" niche that they built their repeat customer base from. It's strictly a business decision. It's working too. There are many more entire families cruising than in the days when cruising was an adult party every night. Not a bad move really ... but it has increased their guests that complain extensively about every single thing. The party animals don't really gripe about anything as long as there is a party going on. If you know what I mean.

Carnival will often make rules and regulations that they do not enforce until they get enough complaints. In regards to smoking on the balcony, it can be a fire hazard. Princess Cruise Lines had a near disaster onboard one of their ships with a massive fire due to balcony smoking. With this being said, many individuals will get away with it for a period of time on Carnival, until they wish to make an example of a passenger smoking. In addition to a fine or penalty, they can actually order you off the ship at the next port.

We were on the Magic last week and we noticed the lack of balcony smoking which was nice. However, the smoking areas were very very smokey...more than before. The strange part is that on this class of ship, the smoking area outside next to the Red Frog Pub...not in it....is a smoking area but right below cabins on deck 6. That smoke was going up like a chimney to those cabins when in port. May want to avoid those if you want to avoid the smoke.