New Suite Class Restaurant begins April 2015 on ALL ships?

chamima

The ~ $1000 per night is per day for a Sky suite. NOT per person. And not for a " premium " suite. I just did a quick check of all European 2015 cruises. After tax and gratuities, every one is in the $900-$1000 range ( per cabin not pp ). Especially on S class ships.

Many of these same cruises were 30% less in 2013-2014. We paid approx $600 per night for three 2 week Celebrity cruises in 2014. The only European cruises that are in that price range for 2016 are the transatlantics, both of which we booked

These price increases are related to the perceived value of the new Suite restaurant IMO. That's why it's relevant to this discussion.

Please quote a specific sailing where a Sky suite on a European/Alaskan cruise is significantly less than $900- $1000 per suite, per night, and I'll probably book it!

I searched on ship, on one itinerary.

September 5 on Solstice in Alaska was the lowest. $770/night including gratuities. I don't know what port fees are. There are a number of similar sailings at similar prices, some are sold out or nearly so and much more.

Please let us know when you've booked!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I searched on ship, on one itinerary.

September 5 on Solstice in Alaska was the lowest. $770/night including gratuities. I don't know what port fees are. There are a number of similar sailings at similar prices, some are sold out or nearly so and much more.

Please let us know when you've booked!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I shouldn't have included Alaska since I'm only interested in and looked at European sailings longer than 1 week. That Alaska sailing does have a $1000 captains club certificate discount. ( not a bad deal ). :)

So you're saying the name of this new space is Illuminaté? I had not read this before! I love this name and hope the restaurant is spectacular.

need2bespoiled - Illuminaté is the name of the new suite dining room? I know you hinted in early Dec that you were given a name by a senior officer but didn't spill the beans at that time.

need2bespoiled - Illuminaté is the name of the new suite dining room? I know you hinted in early Dec that you were given a name by a senior officer but didn't spill the beans at that time.

We all know what we're told onboard only occasionally comes to fruition. I hate to post unconfirmed information, but I did hint to it above.

Here is what happened:

The name was shared with me by an officer but it was only partly correct. Then I was having a conversation with a different senior officer but I couldn't remember what I was told. He then wrote it on his business card in a bet with me (I wasn't allowed to look at the card) to find out the name. I only got close, but never looked at the card until after a later conversation. Given he wrote it on a card, I am fairly certain it will be close.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

Dinners for the Captain's Table are higher quality than MDR fare. If the galley can cook high quality dinners for 10, they can do it for 150.

Only because they are likely more closely checked. We've found it's the same food, same taste as we've received at our MDR tables, just more likely to not have an issue or have meat cooked to request, thought not always. Remember also, the choices (on the menu) will be more limited. I bet they wouldn't say "no" to another item on the MDR menu, though I honestly haven't tried, and likely wouldn't while seated next to the captain or an officer.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I have posted a number of comments regarding my experiences for sailing on NCL in The Haven and comparing / contrasting how they compare to cruising on Celebrity.

In February 2014, I was on the Norwegian EPIC booked into a Haven 2 bedroom family villa. This was my second time in The Haven, second time in a 2 bedroom family villa, but first time to experience what their exclusive suite dining room experience entails.

A few thoughts about the suite dining room on the Epic:

1) The decor was tasteful, classy, elegant and beautiful... including the lounge at the entrance to the dining room. It has comfortable seating in small groupings with a full service bar.

2) Seating arrangements in the dining room were available for parties of 2, 4, 6, and 8 (depending on the size of your dining party). Spacing was such that you never felt like you were dining with other people like you do in Blu.

3) There were about 12 tables to seat a party of two, about 8 tables to seat a party of three or four, and a few other tables that could be flexible to seat parties of 5 to 8 people (numbers are approximate and from my memory).

4) Hours of operation were approximately 7am-10am for breakfast, 11am-2pm for lunch, and 5pm-9:30pm for dinner. You were seated by the dining room host as you arrived (similar to Blu). Waits were non-existent or very minimal (less than 5 minutes). Show up as you wished based on your schedule (no reservations).

5) Menus were the same each day at each meal service with a nice selection at lunch, breakfast, and dinner. There were some daily specials available in addition to the standard menu selections (at lunch and dinner). In addition to the breakfast menu, there was a continental buffet area that contained a number of food items you would expect to see including breads/bagels, yogurt, cheese/meat trays, fruit (whole and fresh cut), cereals, etc.

6) There was also a pool bar/grill area with casual seating and separate menu with lighter fare available (think upscale mast grill food offerings with waitstaff table service).

7) Substitutions and food/dietary issues were easy to communicate and work around.

I would imagine (or hope) that the Celebrity Suite Dining Room will have a number of the same kinds of features.

Just to put a few other things in perspective:

a) On the EPIC, while the ships holds 4100 passengers, The Haven provides suite services for 67 suites that have access to the Haven suite dining room. Of those suites:

-46 are 2 bedroom family villas with balcony, about 504 sq. ft., that can accommodate 6 passengers (Decks 16-17).

-6 are Haven Courtyard Penthouse with balcony, about 322 sq. ft., that can accommodate 2 passengers (Deck 17).

-7 are Haven Aft-facing Penthouse with balcony, about 319-322 sq. ft., that can accommodate 2 passengers (Decks 10-13).

-8 are Haven Deluxe Owner's Suites with large balcony, about 852 sq. ft., that can accommodate 4 passengers (Deck 17).

b) All of these suites have a combined living room / dining room area with a true dining room table with 4 chairs.

c) Each suite has a complimentary coffee/expresso/tea machine that operates with pods stocked by the room attendant or butler.

d) The butler service for your suite would provide your dinner service if you choose to eat in your room.

e) Dining in room is serviced by the Haven dining room kitchen or you could order from a specialty restaurant (fee based).

f) The suite concierge, a rotating staff of 2-3 persons, is situated on Deck 16 and steps away from your stateroom.

g) All-inclusive beverage packages are NOT part of the stateroom booking. All persons in the room (adults) are required to buy the package if one person is planning to buy it (I wanted to, but didn't. It was my single key issue for NCL to address for the future as not all adults drink alcohol). Mini-bar is an additional fee.

h) Fresh fruit and flowers placed in room. Daily canapés placed in room. Also, many additional complimentary items (chocolates, cookies, chocolate covered strawberries, etc.) provided as compliments from senior ship staff throughout the duration of cruise.

i) In room DVD-player with available movies to check out from the Concierge.

j) Reserved seating for suite guests on any/all nightly showings in the main theatre.

k) For other specialty entertainment options (such as the dinner theatre in the round), the concierge would take you down prior to opening the seating for the regular audience.

l) Access to Posh Beach Club, a private sundeck and outdoor bar area. The ship does sell a number of "Posh passes" at guest relations to non-suite guests. This is variable depending on the volume of suite passengers accessing the Haven.

m) A private Captains & Senior Officer toast for suite guests (and VIPs) with complimentary adult beverages and hors d'oeuvres.

n) Special embarkation and disembarkation process provided by the suite concierge.

I've probably forgotten some benefits and overlooked others as I am not claiming to provide a complete listing. That is what I remember from my February 2014 cruise. Hope this has been helpful.

Walter

Re: the Haven

That's all good but how is the food? The same menu daily with a special or two may get pretty boring. Yes, it's nice to be in a somewhat less hectic dining facility, but in the end it comes down to the level of expertise of the chef and the cooks working under him.

I think it would be helpful if Celebrity food and beverage management sailed on the premium cruiseline competition and sampled the quality of food offered on them. If they are going to compete on a higher level with the Suite class and restaurant, that would be helpful.

I've never sailed on NCL, and am not interested in other mass market cruise lines other than Celebrity.

Three months until the new restaurants open, I'm looking forward to seeing the menus, and the reviews!

Re: the Haven

That's all good but how is the food? The same menu daily with a special or two may get pretty boring. Yes, it's nice to be in a somewhat less hectic dining facility, but in the end it comes down to the level of expertise of the chef and the cooks working under him.

I think it would be helpful if Celebrity food and beverage management sailed on the premium cruiseline competition and sampled the quality of food offered on them. If they are going to compete on a higher level with the Suite class and restaurant, that would be helpful.

I've never sailed on NCL, and am not interested in other mass market cruise lines other than Celebrity.

Three months until the new restaurants open, I'm looking forward to seeing the menus, and the reviews!

Kevnsworld -

I have not sailed on any of the luxury/premium market cruise lines that you have; therefore, I am not going to try to convince you that the food is better or equivalent. Food is subjective and so are people's preferences.

What I will say is that I found the food as good or better than many of the specialty restaurants I have dined in on various cruise lines (see signature for cruise history).

I could agree that having a standard menu with daily specials (2-3 specials) that rotate may become boring on a 14 day (or longer) sailing, but I only did a 7 day sailing and it was fine for that length of time. Not sure how a longer itinerary would influence the menu options.

In my experience, the menu in Blu on S-Class is the same as the menu in Blu on M-Class. There may be a difference in kitching configurations, as you state (don't know, as I only did the tour on M-Class)...but the menus seem to be the same, at least (bud definitely different between Blu and MDR on both classes - maybe that is the point you were making?).

I know menus are the same but wonder if not having a sep kitchen has an impact...we'll find out in a few weeks when we are on Constellation...have heard it is very good so we are hoping we enjoy it as much as BLU on the S class ships...

not sure we will move up to suite classat this point, but the sep dining and Michaels make it tempting! Will depend on pricing

I know menus are the same but wonder if not having a sep kitchen has an impact...we'll find out in a few weeks when we are on Constellation...have heard it is very good so we are hoping we enjoy it as much as BLU on the S class ships...

not sure we will move up to suite classat this point, but the sep dining and Michaels make it tempting! Will depend on pricing

I'll be on Connie in a few wks as well (1/24). Hate that Michaels is now a private club...but we are Elite, and I think we get the free nightly drink in there at happy hour...probably the only time I can get in. I believe the Elite b'fast is in Tuscan Grille on Connie...but will likely eat in Blu for b'fast anyway.

I'll be on Connie in a few wks as well (1/24). Hate that Michaels is now a private club...but we are Elite, and I think we get the free nightly drink in there at happy hour...probably the only time I can get in. I believe the Elite b'fast is in Tuscan Grille on Connie...but will likely eat in Blu for b'fast anyway.

Not any longer, it is an exclusive premium suites (does not include Sky Suites) only club now as of February-April of this year. Elite drinks at happy hour are now done in Sky Lounge unless there are too many then drink vouchers are issued for use at several bars, excluding Molecular and Martini generally.

I think they had even stopped the event meetings in Michaels before it became dedicated to suites earlier this year, as the ranks have grown too large to comfortably accommodate them in most cases.

Suite guests are not even allowed to invite guests in to the club - it's tightly managed.

Edited by cle-guy

I'm not positive, but I would guess that the Elite happy hour will be moved to another location. I believe only CS suites and above (as well as Zenith members) have access. PERIOD.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Shawn

Michaels is 100% private now, only Zenith and Celebrity suite guests and higher are admitted.

There isn't a Tuscan Grill on Constellation. The Elite breakfast is in their version of Murano.

Edited by Kevnzworld

We've had guests we were traveling with for a month who we were doing excursions with meet us in Michael's Club a few times so we could all get off together. The first time I told them I would meet them in the photo lounge and the concierge rightfully thought making them wait outside was a bit odd, so she invited them in.

We (a number of suite guests and a VIP with Michael's Access) plus the friend we were traveling with not in a suite all made friends and met a for drinks, with the concierge's blessing on the last night of the cruise.

We also all waited there until we our ride was there for the airport on the last morning.

I wouldn't say "Period" but it isn't common, and I wouldn't just bring someone in without the concierge offering.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Michaels is 100% private now, only Zenith and Celebrity suite guests and higher are admitted.

There isn't a Tuscan Grill on Constellation. The Elite breakfast is in their version of Murano.

Kevin,

There is a Tuscan Grill on Connie. It's the only M class ship to have it. Qsine is on the other M Class ships. On some recent Connie cruises both Tuscan Grill and Ocean Liners were used for the breakfast. Also noticed that on a recent cruise Blue Chip members were given access to MC.

Hope to see you on a future cruise.

The ~ $1000 per night is per day for a Sky suite. NOT per person. And not for a " premium " suite. I just did a quick check of all European 2015 cruises. After tax and gratuities, every one is in the $900-$1000 range ( per cabin not pp ). Especially on S class ships. Per person pricing is irrelevant since even when I've sailed solo I still had to pay the full cabin price.

Many of these same cruises were 30% less in 2013-2014. We paid approx $600 per night for three 2 week Celebrity cruises in 2014. The only European cruises that are in that price range for 2016 are the transatlantics, both of which we booked

These price increases are related to the perceived value of the new Suite restaurant IMO. It now puts a Celebrity suite in the price category for a similar cabin on Seabourn/ Oceania/ Silverseas,...That's why it's relevant to this discussion.

Please quote a specific sailing where a Sky suite on a European/Alaskan cruise is significantly less than $900- $1000 per suite, per night, and I'll probably book it!

The prices I was quoted were per suite and not per person. That is how prices are quote in the UK. Incidentally, our prices also include taxes and fees. Clearly my samples were not the same as the ones you used. Celebrity's UK website is not being overly cooperative this morning but I can offer 10-nights from 14 Sept 2015 on Silhouette in the Western Med for US$872 per night; 12-nights on the same ship from 28 May 2015 in Scandinavia and Russia for US$792; 10-nights on Constellation in Italy & Adriatic from 1 July 2015 for US$708 and 11-nights on the same ship from 12 Oct 2015 in Greece, Turkey & Croatia for US$684. Of course, if you choose to sail during the school holidays or want short cruises, you are going to pay more. These are more expensive across the board.

I do agree, however, that prices are rising across the board because the world economic climate is AND that Celebrity believe that they can obtain higher fares for suites. That is precisely why they have introduced the new suite perks.

I do not believe, however, that Celebrity are trying to compete with the cruise lines you mention. They are, in my opinion, totally different products. We all have out own perception of value. When we compared the cruise market, we drew up a checklist of our essentials and desirables. In a comparison with Seabourn/Oceania/Silverseas, we consider Celebrity a totally different proposition.

It is my belief [from my discussions with their staff] that Celebrity are probably trying to do a number of things:-

• retain those existing guest who have booked higher-end suites and were starting to find the offering a little jaded

• encourage existing guests to upgrade to a suite and existing suite guests to upgrade to a higher-end suite

• attract new people to the cruise market - those who have a higher disposable income but who are not attracted by the small cruise ships or the mega cruise ships

We fit in the first category. I have noticed a distinct change in attitude whenever I have spoken to Celebrity staff [both shore-side and on board] since the new perks were announced. On our latest cruise, we met a number of people in the second category, especially those intending to upgrade from a Celebrity Suite. There are certainly many people in the third category in the UK. They may have previously gone to all-inclusive resorts, are concerned about cruising because they dread being stuck on a ship with people they do not like and would nor consider the smaller ships for that reason but could not contemplate ever cruising on the mega ships with climbing walls and "flowriders".

I'd love to know who the god mothers of the various ships are, is there a list somewhere. Would love to have met her.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Perhaps there is a list on the Internet. I believe that they [or, at least, the more recent ones] are all women and all breast cancer survivors. Because Eclipse was launched in the UK, Emma is a Brit.

Emma is a lovely person and an amazing sailor. She was running a very special navigation class on our cruise. Those who took part received a navigation qualification. Celebrity were trialling the concept with a view to perhaps offering other similar serious classes on board. Emma was heading to the Miami offices post-cruise for a debrief.

We had an extremely lively Michael's Club on our TA. Very much a private club atmosphere - just as I expect Celebrity are hoping to achieve.

The prices I was quoted were per suite and not per person. That is how prices are quote in the UK. Incidentally, our prices also include taxes and fees. Clearly my samples were not the same as the ones you used. Celebrity's UK website is not being overly cooperative this morning but I can offer 10-nights from 14 Sept 2015 on Silhouette in the Western Med for US$872 per night; 12-nights on the same ship from 28 May 2015 in Scandinavia and Russia for US$792; 10-nights on Constellation in Italy & Adriatic from 1 July 2015 for US$708 and 11-nights on the same ship from 12 Oct 2015 in Greece, Turkey & Croatia for US$684. Of course, if you choose to sail during the school holidays or want short cruises, you are going to pay more. These are more expensive across the board.

I do agree, however, that prices are rising across the board because the world economic climate is AND that Celebrity believe that they can obtain higher fares for suites. That is precisely why they have introduced the new suite perks.

I do not believe, however, that Celebrity are trying to compete with the cruise lines you mention. They are, in my opinion, totally different products. We all have out own perception of value. When we compared the cruise market, we drew up a checklist of our essentials and desirables. In a comparison with Seabourn/Oceania/Silverseas, we consider Celebrity a totally different proposition.

It is my belief [from my discussions with their staff] that Celebrity are probably trying to do a number of things:-

• retain those existing guest who have booked higher-end suites and were starting to find the offering a little jaded

• encourage existing guests to upgrade to a suite and existing suite guests to upgrade to a higher-end suite

• attract new people to the cruise market - those who have a higher disposable income but who are not attracted by the small cruise ships or the mega cruise ships

We fit in the first category. I have noticed a distinct change in attitude whenever I have spoken to Celebrity staff [both shore-side and on board] since the new perks were announced. On our latest cruise, we met a number of people in the second category, especially those intending to upgrade from a Celebrity Suite. There are certainly many people in the third category in the UK. They may have previously gone to all-inclusive resorts, are concerned about cruising because they dread being stuck on a ship with people they do not like and would nor consider the smaller ships for that reason but could not contemplate ever cruising on the mega ships with climbing walls and "flowriders".

Ok, I stand corrected. :)

I did look up one of the cruises on Silhouette that you quoted., May 28 . With taxes and gratuities it's $866. So maybe $1000 per night isn the norm, but close, and still 15-30% more than the previous year or two.

Perhaps with exchange rates prices are slightly different . There are also special discounts here if you are over 55 , and depending on the state where you live.

I agree with your take on large versus small cruise ships, and the reasons people book larger versus smaller cabins. We PREFER Celebrity for transatlantics, both of which , east and west we take annually. The larger ship offers more variety and entertainment. We prefer ( for $800-1000 per night ) to be on somewhat smaller luxury ships which dock at smaller and more interesting European ports, and have MUCH better food.

We met on a Celebrity ship two years ago. We had been traveling solo and paying the single supplement before meeting. Having become used to our own cabin, we moved to only booking suites for the extra room.

I had only travelled on Regent prior to 2012 and once having discovered Celebrity I appreciated both the value and it's product. We have since both become Elite plus. For us frequent Celebrity cruisers, the product has become a little stale. The relative " value " of the product has declined ( for us ) as the prices have risen. In 2012 I was paying 2200-2800$ per AQ cabin for two week cruises on Equinox in the Mediterranean. It's double now.

Anyway, pertaining to this thread. We have decided to take a year off from Celebrity ( except for a possible Tuesday special ) given the recent suite price increases. We do have cruises on hold for 2016 as we await the reviews for the new suite restaurant. I'm hoping it is truly a significant improvement over Blu.

I'm looking forward to hopefully changes in the now 5 year old menus, the new suite restaurant, the Edge ship debuting in 2018.

Not any longer, it is an exclusive premium suites (does not include Sky Suites) only club now as of February-April of this year. Elite drinks at happy hour are now done in Sky Lounge unless there are too many then drink vouchers are issued for use at several bars, excluding Molecular and Martini generally.

I think they had even stopped the event meetings in Michaels before it became dedicated to suites earlier this year, as the ranks have grown too large to comfortably accommodate them in most cases.

Suite guests are not even allowed to invite guests in to the club - it's tightly managed.

Thx.

So...since I am sailing 1/24, does that mean the Elite happy hour will be in Michaels (sicne the exclusive suites club starts in Feb)?

Honestly...I'd rather have the vouchers and get a drink at the martini bar. Don't know if the bartenders are the same as when I went last year - but they were great. Plus, I usually like to hang there, and use the same bartneders for all my mixed drinks, if possible (give good tips..get good service once they recognize you).

Guess they are really tying to go after a super-premium crowd with this "exclusivity." Some of the new money crowd will love this - love the special tratment, exclusive venues...and do it in front of everyone else.