Day trip

6 of us are staying in Amsterdam for 3 days precruise in May. We were thinking of doing day trip on train to either Brugges,Antwerp, or Brussels. We are leaning toward Brugges but have read it is not possible in 1 day. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated!Thanks:confused::confused::confused:

So many close to Amsterdam choices why go that far. Delft, Gouda and the Haag are all easy day trips to very charming interesting places. You did not state what you were looking for in a day trip...

Thank you for your quick response. We are not looking for any thing in particular but to spend a nice day in a charming city. Of course the woman would like shopping,pastry shops etc. and us guys would like to try the great beer there during a nice lunch. Thank you for your suggestions, I will definitely discuss this with the other couples and research trans. to these cities as this sounds like a better idea!:):):)

You can make a combination Delft and The Hague.

Buy traintickets to Delft (charming old town) and make a stop in The Hague for shopping etc. If the weather is nice take a tram to the seaside resort Scheveningen and sit on a terrace with seaview.

Also Haarlem, which is close to Amsterdam is worth a visit.

I think it takes up too much time to go all the way to Belgium for just 1 day.

I think it takes up too much time to go all the way to Belgium for just 1 day.

Totally agree. Would be a waste of precious (Dutch) time! :)

Brugge is the less best connected from the three you stated, Antwerpen and Brussels are on the high speed train network but as Ine said; there are better options close by.

Save Brugge for a Zeebrugge port of call. :D

Could you please be more specific on Zider Zee. I googled it and it seems to be an area in the Netherlands. Thank you:):):)

The Zuider Zee is an area of reclaimed land ( from the ocean) which is very flat and basically uninteresting except for the reclamation efforts. Hardly worth the trip in my opinion.

The Zuiderzee is just a lake now, part of the IJsselmeer lake, the Zuiderzeemuseum in Enkhuizen on the other hand would be a nice place to visit:

2101.jpg

Here is a pic of the IJsselmeer area, Amsterdam lower left corner, Enkhuizen is in the middle just below the word IJsselmeer:

260px-Zuiderzeewerken-NL.png

All the green is reclaimed land.

The Zuider Zee is an area of reclaimed land ( from the ocean) which is very flat and basically uninteresting except for the reclamation efforts. Hardly worth the trip in my opinion.

Thank You. That is the impression I got after Googling it. I thought it might be the name of a dinner cruise boat but not so. I am aware of various options as a result of this forum and am in the process of checking them out. Still have plenty of time but we are getting really excited about this cruise.:):):)

Visiting Delft (Google Image search) for sight seeing and The Hague for shopping as a day trip still sounds a perfect plan to me.

Combining it with the Zuiderzee Museum would be too much for one day, too far apart.

Delft is approx an hour by train from Amsterdam Central Station. If you're visiting in spring consider a short stop in the Bollenstreek or take a via Haarlem train to see some nice flower fields. :)

Visiting Delft (Google Image search) for sight seeing and The Hague for shopping as a day trip still sounds a perfect plan to me.

Combining it with the Zuiderzee Museum would be too much for one day, too far apart.

Delft is approx an hour by train from Amsterdam Central Station. If you're visiting in spring consider a short stop in the Bollenstreek or take a via Haarlem train to see some nice flower fields. :)

I think this is what we are highly considering. If we purchase train ticket can we stop in Delft for some time and then continue to The Hague? Yes we will be there mid-May which could be high Tulip season. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think this is what we are highly considering. If we purchase train ticket can we stop in Delft for some time and then continue to The Hague? Yes we will be there mid-May which could be high Tulip season. Thanks for all the suggestions.

You're welcome, that's what we are here for :)

Buy a Amsterdam CS - Delft train return ticket and make a stopover at The Hague HS station which is a stop on that route for any regular train to/from Delft. From The Hague Hollands Spoor station it's a short 2 minute train or short tram/bus ride to the centre/The Hague CS (a dead end station where HS is continuous one) or a bit longer to the beach/boulevard.

The more scenic tulip field railroad (although the normal one also shows some fields) is via Haarlem. You can plan your trains here: http://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/home

The villages that we visited on the Zuider Zee were something out of a picture book. When I went, it was in the Summer, but not overrun with foreign tourists.

Definitely worth the trip.

Of course, in Amsterdam, don't miss the two wonderful air galleries. The Van Gogh and especially the Rijksmuseum.

You're welcome, that's what we are here for :)

Buy a Amsterdam CS - Delft train return ticket and make a stopover at The Hague HS station which is a stop on that route for any regular train to/from Delft. From The Hague Hollands Spoor station it's a short 2 minute train or short tram/bus ride to the centre/The Hague CS (a dead end station where HS is continuous one) or a bit longer to the beach/boulevard.

The more scenic tulip field railroad (although the normal one also shows some fields) is via Haarlem. You can plan your trains here: http://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/home

I will discuss this with the other couples and probably purchase train tickets upon arrival. We are staying at RHO Hotel and I'm sure they will be very helpful. Thanks again

• 4 weeks later...
6 of us are staying in Amsterdam for 3 days precruise in May. We were thinking of doing day trip on train to either Brughes,Antwerp, or Brussels. We are leaning toward Brugges but have read it is not possible in 1 day. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated!Thanks:confused::confused::confused:

We are going to Brussells a couple of days early before arriving in Amsterdam. We just booked a tour with Viator, we booked tour to Brughes and Ghent and it is a full day tour from Brussells. approx. 9 hours. Have been told many times those two towns are the best in Europe.