Carnival took our box wine but not our...

ggg196078

gotcha... renegotiate.. who do you speak to at carnival when you break the rules?

But I don't break their rules.:) Please read my posts completely. I have never smuggled booze. But I will defend the rights of others because that is between them and the cruise line - no one else.

As long as you understand the "renegotiation" requires agreement from both parties involved. Smuggling is not "renegotiation" as Carnival has not agreed to a different set of terms than those listed in the cruise contract.

Yes it is. It is an economic renegotiation. Same thing as a client withholding payment as a protest against high prices charged, until the service provider reduces their prices. I've been on both sides of this in my career. Sometimes I do the renegotiation and sometimes I am the recipient of the renegotiation-ers. When that happens, do I like it, No!!! But as a business person I understand when I might be overcharging just a wee bit.;)

As they say, all's fair in love and war ...... and business.:cool:

But I don't break their rules.:) Please read my posts completely. I have never smuggled booze. But I will defend the rights of others because that is between them and the cruise line - no one else.

you missed one...

its between them and the cruise line and everyone that reads that bragging posts that they post.

it would only be between them and the cruisline if they didnt go public

Opps Sorry, correction here. I did twice smuggle booze into football games. Once for the Vanier Cup and once for the Grey Cup. Great times were had by all. :p And DW tried on NCl once but not successfully, it was before we were educated on CC.;)

BTW the Vanier organizing committee and the CFL have made oodles of $CDN off me over the years. :eek:

you missed one...

its between them and the cruise line and everyone that reads that bragging posts that they post.

it would only be between them and the cruisline if they didnt go public

So what's your point?:confused: It's OK to smuggle (in your vernacular) but it's not OK to do it publicly?

Edited by DirtyDawg

So what's your point?:confused: It's OK to smuggle (in your vernacular) but it's not OK to do it publicly?

my point is you should not break the rules. if you dont like the rules on one line, then find one that you do

and if you have to break the rules because you cant control yourself, dont post it publically if you are not looking for people to debate your rule breaking.

my point is you should not break the rules. if you dont like the rules on one line, then find one that you do

and if you have to break the rules because you cant control yourself, dont post it publically if you are not looking for people to debate your rule breaking.

Succinct and to the point. Thank You. I respect your position on this subject but I disagree with it.

I do not blindly follow a companies rules. Laws are a different story.

Agree 100% with love. There are Laws that are rules which most of us follow (unless they are bad laws!) and then there are company rules which by definition are self-serving, one sided, and usually bad for the consumer and/or employee. And, of course, bad rules should be challenged, or renegotiated.;) For love and I those rules are like the pirates' code in that Disney movie;

"the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner."

Edited by DirtyDawg

Agree 100% with love. There are Laws that are rules which most of us follow (unless they are bad laws!) and then there are company rules which by definition are self-serving, one sided, and usually bad for the consumer and/or employee. And, of course, bad rules should be challenged, or renegotiated.;) For love and I those rules are like the pirates' code in that Disney movie;

"the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner."

I do not blindly follow a companies rules. Laws are a different story.

If you don't want to follow the rules of a business you have no business using said business. If one can rationalize breaking rules they can also very easily rationalize breaking laws. If one knowingly breaks rules I'd bet my next paycheck that person also knowingly breaks laws.

Case in point:

There are Laws that are rules which most of us follow (unless they are bad laws!)

To which you posted:

So now it seems you agree it's okay to break laws as well if you think it's a bad law. Simple proof that one who knowingly breaks rules has no problem knowingly breaking laws that they don't like as well.

Maybe one day Carnival will have the balls to enforce their rules as written and all smugglers can wave to the ship as it heads out on another cruise without said smugglers. What a glorious day that would be. :)

Edited by Out to sea!

So now it seems you agree it's okay to break laws as well if you think it's a bad law. Simple proof that one who knowingly breaks rules has no problem knowingly breaking laws that they don't like as well.

Good Morning. Nice too see there is at least one other early bird around here. But I suspect you woke up to much warmer weather than I did. It's a balmy 21 degrees F here this morning.:eek: And that's warmer than we've had all week!

As for your comment you are 100% correct. I for one reserve the right as a citizen to break bad laws. In an earlier post I gave the example of the Suffragettes who broke a bad law. If the Canadian government re-instituted the law banning women from voting I would encourage women to break that law. If my government instituted a law restricting the rights of certain minority groups due to terrorist concerns, I would break that law. I do not want a repeat of the Japanese Canadian internment that went on during WW2. Those were bad laws that should have been broken at that time.

As for businesses' rules, most business' can refuse to do business with any customer they want. If the 'no haggle' car dealership said 'no' they will not negotiate with me, so be it. I would take my business elsewhere and they would loose that sale. That business would not have violated their rule, but it would be poorer for it unless they could make up that sale somehow. You said that you hope Carnival someday would vigorously enforce their own rules regarding smuggling. I suspect that they never will because of the lost bookings they fear that they would loose. If they did enforce their own rules it would be a hollow victory if the Company went bankrupt as a result (taken to the extreme outcome).

I'ts been a pleasure debating this issue with you. Perhaps someday we will be on the same cruise and we can continue this discussion over a glass or two of un-smuggled booze.;)

Happy New Year!

Edited by DirtyDawg

If you have found and purchased a bottle of something special, that is not available in the area you live, before you board the ship and it's taken, should you be put off the ship because of it?

The normal procedure, if it is found, is to take it, store it till the end of the cruise, then return it. If it is not in the original sealed container it is destroyed.

Seems extreme to refuse you boarding for this.

Edited by ohioblue52

Good Morning. Nice too see there is at least one other early bird around here. But I suspect you woke up to much warmer weather than I did. It's a balmy 21 degrees F here this morning.:eek: And that's warmer than we've had all week!

As for your comment you are 100% correct. I for one reserve the right as a citizen to break bad laws. In an earlier post I gave the example of the Suffragettes who broke a bad law. If the Canadian government re-instituted the law banning women from voting I would encourage women to break that law. If my government instituted a law restricting the rights of certain minority groups due to terrorist concerns, I would break that law. I do not want a repeat of the Japanese Canadian internment that went on during WW2. Those were bad laws that should have been broken at that time.

As for businesses' rules, most business' can refuse to do business with any customer they want. If the 'no haggle' car dealership said 'no' they will not negotiate with me, so be it. I would take my business elsewhere and they would loose that sale. That business would not have violated their rule, but it would be poorer for it unless they could make up that sale somehow. You said that you hope Carnival someday would vigorously enforce their own rules regarding smuggling. I suspect that they never will because of the lost bookings they fear that they would loose. If they did enforce their own rules it would be a hollow victory if the Company went bankrupt as a result (taken to the extreme outcome).

I'ts been a pleasure debating this issue with you. Perhaps someday we will be on the same cruise and we can continue this discussion over a glass or two of un-smuggled booze.;)

Happy New Year!

Always an early riser myself. And luckily for me our chilly (to us) 57F beats your 21F! :D

Just as an FYI for future reference, there are procedures for changing laws and rules without breaking them. And the problem with breaking what one person deems to be a bad law is that the same law may be good for many others.

A nice, properly paid for beer on board sounds wonderful some time.

Edited by Out to sea!

If you have found and purchased a bottle of something special, that is not available in the area you live, before you board the ship and it's taken, should you be put off the ship because of it?

The normal procedure, if it is found, is to take it, store it till the end of the cruise, then return it. If it is not in the original sealed container it is destroyed.

Seems extreme to refuse you boarding for this.

It may be extreme (which is why possibly it has not been implemented.....to my knowledge) but that exact verbiage is in every Carnival cruise contract. And personally, since it takes time, effort, and storage space on board, I'm surprised Carnival doesn't charge a storage fee for every bottle of smuggled alcohol that they hold for the length of the voyage.

Always an early riser myself. And luckily for me our chilly (to us) 57F beats your 21F! :D

Just as an FYI for future reference, there are procedures for changing laws and rules without breaking them. And the problem with breaking what one person deems to be a bad law is that the same law may be good for many others.

A nice, properly paid for beer on board sounds wonderful some time.

The Tea Act of 1773 was good The British East India Company and many other people but bad for the colonists of your original thirteen colonies. Sometimes, As the Sons of Liberty did you have to break bad laws because the powers that be will not correct those bad laws with just gentle nudging.;)

I'm thinking more than just A nice properly paid for beer, a couple of even a few might be in order.:D Cheers!

Wonder why cruise lines allow you to transport t-shirts, jewelry, tobacco, etc. as gifts but not alcohol.

If a bottle purchased from one of the onboard shops is lost, is there no recourse there either?

You most likely will have the receipt for any liquor bought on board but not delivered so you would have recourse. Sales of t-shirts, jewelry, or tobacco is not a huge money maker for cruise lines, alcohol is.

Either way, their ship, their rules. No different than your house, your rules.

Edited by Out to sea!

The Tea Act of 1773 was good The British East India Company and many other people but bad for the colonists of your original thirteen colonies. Sometimes, As the Sons of Liberty did you have to break bad laws because the powers that be will not correct those bad laws with just gentle nudging.;)

I'm thinking more than just A nice properly paid for beer, a couple of even a few might be in order.:D Cheers!

No, I'm not old enough to be one of the Sons of Liberty. No, not at all. ;)

So, are you suggesting we take up arms against Carnival to obtain our freedom or would it be better to try and find something a little more closely comparable. We could always bring slavery into the mix. :p

I'm not much of a drinker. One or two beers a day is good for me. :)

Edited by Out to sea!

Sales of t-shirts, jewelry, or tobacco is not a huge money maker for cruise lines, alcohol is.

This was my line of thinking when my bottle was taken on our last Carnival cruise. I ended up with a $37.00 bar bill. They choose to take my bottle I chose not to drink. Usually have a $300 - $400 bar tab for 7 days

No, I'm not old enough to be one of the Sons of Liberty. No, not at all. ;)

So, are you suggesting we take up arms against Carnival to obtain our freedom or would it be better to try and find something a little more closely comparable. We could always bring slavery into the mix. :p

I'm not much of a drinker. One or two beers a day is good for me. :)

Slavery has been referenced, Hitler will not be far behind and this discussion will have run it's course. :D