Oasis returning to port?

Pilot53

Would be surprised if the kid was under for 15 minutes and revived. It's not like it's cold water. How strong is that wave pool that it can drag a 4 year old. Going on in 3 weeks with our 3.5 half year old getting me worried. We've been in wave pools before and I was never worried she would get pull under. Mind you I don't let her in alone, I'm beside her all the time, with hawk eyes. Think If would lose sight of her for half a minute in a pool I would be freaking, let alone 15 minutes. Worst nightmare, hope he is doing better and the parents too.

Only good fun things to read on CC let's keep wishing (even thought we know better).

Is there one of those spinning pools in the H2O zone on the Oasis as there is on the Liberty (I have only been on LOS)? I believe this is the only "wave pool" in the children's area....I could see how a child could be injured if this is where it occurred.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Would be surprised if the kid was under for 15 minutes and revived. It's not like it's cold water. How strong is that wave pool that it can drag a 4 year old. Going on in 3 weeks with our 3.5 half year old getting me worried. We've been in wave pools before and I was never worried she would get pull under. Mind you I don't let her in alone, I'm beside her all the time, with hawk eyes. Think If would lose sight of her for half a minute in a pool I would be freaking, let alone 15 minutes. Worst nightmare, hope he is doing better and the parents too.

Only good fun things to read on CC let's keep wishing (even thought we know better).

You'll have a great time. You are vigilant and aware of you're child. The ship is extremely safe and fun for everyone. Make sure you get plenty of pictures with Shrek & Fiona. :)

Is there one of those spinning pools in the H2O zone on the Oasis as there is on the Liberty (I have only been on LOS)? I believe this is the only "wave pool" in the children's area....I could see how a child could be injured if this is where it occurred.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've been on Allure and they do have them there (my son reminded me they do). That's what I was thinking when they said 'wave pool'. The current in them is fairly strong and I could see how it could take a 4 year-old under, especially if they couldn't swim. I can also see if someone took their eyes off them for even a second, it is easy to "lose" your child in them as there are a lot of kids swimming and the current will pull you around the pool. So very sad, however it happened.

This could not have happened on the flowrider as speculated previously. There are always cruise staff monitoring them and then when they are closed the water is shut off.

The currant pool sounds more like it. I can't imagine how awful this must be. Both for the family and also the others onboard. Prayers for all.

Pray the child recovers. Right now there are conflicting reports as to what happened. So we don't know actually what happened & where. It could of been a total accident where the child slipped on a wet deck & landed wrong & ended up with a serious injury. This can happen in full view of attentive parents. And it could of been something other than a child near drowning.

This could not have happened on the flowrider as speculated previously. There are always cruise staff monitoring them and then when they are closed the water is shut off.

The currant pool sounds more like it. I can't imagine how awful this must be. Both for the family and also the others onboard. Prayers for all.

I imagine the tradegy happened in this kid's pool.

http://honeymooncompete.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Kids-Pool-Area-and-Jacuzzi.jpg

881102414_OasisKidsRoundPool.jpg.83ea4d305e9020c9e6776d75a2bd3503.jpg

Edited by Sam.Seattle

I've been in this type of pool with spinning water with my 9 year old niece who is a good swimmer. The current could pull a young child under. I strongly recommend the parents stay right at the pool's edge.

FORT LAUDERDALE (CBSMiami) – The Broward Sheriff’s Office Fire Rescue was called to Port Everglades Saturday to transport a child with a medical emergency while at sea.

“It had departed approximately an hour before from Port Everglades,” said Mike Jachles with BSO Fire Rescue. “The ship turned around and advised our firefighters they were coming back with a patient that had been revived.”

According to officials, the child was aboard the Oasis of the Seas when the child nearly drowned while in the wave pool on the 15th deck.

The child is 4-years-old, authorities said.

Bystanders noticed him under the water and he may have been there for up to 10 minutes.

“A bystander noticed the child, alerted someone who was near the wave pool. The child was brought out of the wave pool. Some bystanders began CPR. The child was taken to the infirmary. That’s where Broward Sheriff’s Fire Rescue encountered the patient,” added Jachles.

Once back on land, the child was to be transported to Broward Health Medical Center where he is in critical condition.

“The ship will not be allowed to depart until that investigation’s complete,” said Jachles. “I will add that the ship has fully cooperated with the investigation so hopefully the ship can set sail here soon.”

Shortly before 11:00 p.m. BSO completed its investigation and the ship was allowed to set sail.

I was with my family in one of those waterpark hotels and they had one of these with a real current- not just one generated by the kids themselves. I watched my six-year-old get caught in the current and could keep her head above water (she was tall enough) but couldn't get out. She was scared and started crying and it was me who went in and helped her out despite the life guard they had nearby.

If this is anything like that, these pools scare the crap out of me and I wouldn't even let my 8-year-old in without watching like a hawk even though there were much younger kids in there and she made fun of me for it. I'm far from a hover-parent, but this made me one. I wonder how deep the water is? I'll guess that a 4-year old isn't tall enough to regain footing if a wave knocked her over.

I wish I could remember where in this #103 post thread (and give credit to) someone posted that now on Disney Cruises Lifeguards are on duty by the pools.

Now mind you that does not let anyone off the hook of monitoring their family members as they swim or play in the water............but just knowing available resources are there to assist a swimmer in need does provide a little reassurance .

Maybe this should be the new trend.

Safe travels.

NBC Channel 4 News in New York reporting it was a 4 year old boy who was found in the pool. According to the report a passenger on the deck above the pool spotted the child submerged ..... He may have been in the water 5-10 minutes. He was resuscitated on the ship and is currently hospitalized.

Sending Prayers for him and his family!

Edited by DianeMMHH

I wish I could remember where in this #103 post thread (and give credit to) someone posted that now on Disney Cruises Lifeguards are on duty by the pools.

Now mind you that does not let anyone off the hook of monitoring their family members as they swim or play in the water............but just knowing available resources are there to assist a swimmer in need does provide a little reassurance .

Safe travels.

So what hours do you suggest RCI post lifeguards? Which pools? All the pools?Just the kids pools? 24/7? 9am to 5pm? Do they have to drain the kids pools at 5pm each day when the lifeguards go off duty? What about the deeper pools? Kids swim in those too. So does all swimming end when a lifeguard is not present? Drain those pools each day? But then there is a safety hazard, so now we need to drain and net them each night.

Posting lifeguards is an ideal concept, but it is just not practical on a ship with so many different pools and spas. Years ago, when ships only had one small pool, this would have made sense, but now there are literally a dozen different water danger areas. This all comes down to parental responsibility. After a tragedy like this one, no one wants to make the parents feel worse, so nothing is said, but things do need to be said. All parents need to face the grim reality of what can happen when you mix children and water. Bad things like slipping and falling, hitting their head can still happen, but drownings are preventable.

Parents/Grandparents/Aunts/Uncles - every single person who is responsible for taking a child to an area where pools/spas are, is required to watch that child every second. That means that parents make it clear between them who is watching which child. It means that reading a book, getting a fresh drink, going for an ice cream, napping, getting in a long conversation - none of these activities should happen while you are responsible for watching a child in the pool. Parents need to get up off their lounge chairs and either get in the pool with the child, or sit right on the edge. Watching your child swim should be your primary activity - your only activity - not something you are doing while also doing other things.

I have no idea what actually happened to this child on Oasis yesterday. My heart goes out to the family. I have prayed for this child. But if things happened as it has been suggested they did, how on earth could a parent lose track of a 4 or 5 year old for five to ten minutes in an area filled with water? Accidents happen. But personal responsibility goes a long way in preventing accidents.

Bottom line: this wouldn't have happened if an adult was with the child or closely watching said child. I feel so bad for the innocent child! I really hope he makes a full healthy recovery. SHAME ON THOSE PARENTS/ FAMILY MEMBERS!!

So what hours do you suggest RCI post lifeguards? Which pools? All the pools?Just the kids pools? 24/7? 9am to 5pm? Do they have to drain the kids pools at 5pm each day when the lifeguards go off duty? What about the deeper pools? Kids swim in those too. So does all swimming end when a lifeguard is not present? Drain those pools each day? But then there is a safety hazard, so now we need to drain and net them each night.

Posting lifeguards is an ideal concept, but it is just not practical on a ship with so many different pools and spas. Years ago, when ships only had one small pool, this would have made sense, but now there are literally a dozen different water danger areas. This all comes down to parental responsibility. After a tragedy like this one, no one wants to make the parents feel worse, so nothing is said, but things do need to be said. All parents need to face the grim reality of what can happen when you mix children and water. Bad things like slipping and falling, hitting their head can still happen, but drownings are preventable.

Parents/Grandparents/Aunts/Uncles - every single person who is responsible for taking a child to an area where pools/spas are, is required to watch that child every second. That means that parents make it clear between them who is watching which child. It means that reading a book, getting a fresh drink, going for an ice cream, napping, getting in a long conversation - none of these activities should happen while you are responsible for watching a child in the pool. Parents need to get up off their lounge chairs and either get in the pool with the child, or sit right on the edge. Watching your child swim should be your primary activity - your only activity - not something you are doing while also doing other things.

I have no idea what actually happened to this child on Oasis yesterday. My heart goes out to the family. I have prayed for this child. But if things happened as it has been suggested they did, how on earth could a parent lose track of a 4 or 5 year old for five to ten minutes in an area filled with water? Accidents happen. But personal responsibility goes a long way in preventing accidents.

Yes......................to your questions.

And the hours posted to be determined by the staff (like most resorts post--ie: Life guard on duty 11am. to 6pm).

And as I stated:

Safe travels.

Edited by Lionesss

Yes......................to your questions.

And as I stated:

Safe travels.

In my opinion it is the parents/ guardians who are ultimately responsible for the children, but I agree that the swimming areas should be staffed with Life Guards during "reasonable" hours. A a large cruise ship such as Oasis is not that different from a large hotel/resort with multiple pools. I don't believe that it would be very difficult to implement this system.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Mike

Bottom line: this wouldn't have happened if an adult was with the child or closely watching said child. I feel so bad for the innocent child! I really hope he makes a full healthy recovery. SHAME ON THOSE PARENTS/ FAMILY MEMBERS!!

Exactly! I am so sorry for this little boy and hope for a full recovery but where on earth where his parents? If he was under water for even 5 minutes and they didn't miss him? A bystander saw him and bystanders pulled him out. I wonder if they were off somewhere getting their drink on. I certainly hope not but where ever they were, they should have been with their child.