TA says they check price reductions every two weeks?

cruisin321

I am about to book a cruise using a TA, i asked how often they check for price reductions since i am booking early saver. She told me once every two weeks, is this common policy? I read someplaces that TA check every week or everyday.

Thank you!

I wouldn't presume to say the TA is lying. I don't even know them.

However, since fares can change on a daily basis, I have to ask myself what good it will do to only check every two weeks?

Besides, if the fare drops, the TA's commission is reduced.

If they do check every 2 weeks, it is better than some TAs who do not check at all (or would not pass on the info to you even if they were aware). But agree that it may be of little use to you. Some price drops may not last the day, let alone 2 weeks. I would check on my own, at least once a day.

I am about to book a cruise using a TA, i asked how often they check for price reductions since i am booking early saver. She told me once every two weeks, is this common policy? I read someplaces that TA check every week or everyday.

Thank you!

You had better find out about any penalty charges that may be incurred by your TA. There are some agencies that charge 25 or 50 for any changes to your reservation. A price drop, a dinner change from late to early seating, the profit margins are very tight, so the agencies need to make up the difference and some people book without reading all of the fine print or asking questions. Just because an agency you used previously had 1 set of standards, does not necessarily mean that all agencies are created equal.

I smell doo doo from your TA. I wouldn't rely on ANYBODY for price drops, specially TA's. They have ZERO incentive to check for price drops since their commission is a percentage of your cruise fare. The less you pay, the less they make.

As others said, read the TA's fine print and make sure that you won't get charged a penalty every time you make a change, including repricing. These days, you're much better off booking your Carnival cruise directly with the cruise line and checking for price drops yourself. Prices change constantly, sometimes multiple times in one day. There's nobody out there that will check that frequently for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Not all TA are worried about the amount they will lose in commission. A good TA will not care, they just want you to be happy.

And not all TA charge a penalty.

If I booked a fare that I could get money back for, I would be checking much more frequently than every 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by sistersfirstcruise

I haven't ever had a TA check to see if the prices were lower. To me, that would be an agency that would charge fees as it appears, to me, that they don't have enough business from bookings to allow them the time to check for price drops.

I check daily or even sometimes more than once daily to look for price drops as I feel it's my responsibility and my money. The agency that I use gives me excellent service, no fees, but doesn't look for my price drops. I contact the agent and he takes care of it for me, but I wouldn't expect him to take time out from other customers to follow up on every customer's cruise to see if the prices went down. YMMV.

Not all TA are worried about the amount they will lose in commission. A good TA will not care, they just want you to be happy.

Although that sounds very noble, TA's need to make money to pay their bills too, so all of them care. But I agree that some may care less than others.

I'm sure that there are TA's that will gladly honor price drops if brought to their attention, but I still haven't learned of a single TA that has voluntarily initiated a price drop for a client.

Although that sounds very noble, TA's need to make money to pay their bills too, so all of them care. But I agree that some may care less than others.

I'm sure that there are TA's that will gladly honor price drops if brought to their attention, but I still haven't learned of a single TA that has voluntarily initiated a price drop for a client.

My TA has voluntarily initiated a price drop on every one of my cruises so it happens. As others have said, just need to get a good TA.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My TA has voluntarily initiated a price drop...

Ok, ok. So I've read of ONE TA that will initiate price drops...:o

OP...I will NEVER book Early Saver with a TA again and my suggestion to you is if you are booking ES, then do it yourself through Carnival instead of a TA.

Booked ES with a TA twice now and neither times have they ever checked for price drops. Also, when I found price drops and would call the TA, knowing good and well that I should get the price drop, the TA would say...oh you are not eligible for that. Different TA's both times.

Just beware that if you book ES with a TA, you might not get the price drops you should.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

And not all TA charge a penalty.

If I booked a fare that I could get money back for, I would be checking much more frequently than every 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree. I always book ES thru my TA. She does not check everyday for price drops, but I do, I just love to do it, and when I come across one, I immediately contact her and she gets it for me. She also gives me OBC which she will reduce depending on the ES price drop, which is fine for me. I have booked 10 + cruises with her and she has been outstanding. I realize not all TA's are like her. Guess I am fortunate!

I use a TA. A big company that is easily found online. I have my own personal contact but can the toll free number 24/7 365 and can get assistance. I always check for my own price drops. Even if I utilized a PVP, I would still check for myself. Takes about 30 seconds. No matter how good a TA or PVP may be, nobody is going to be interested in my saving money more than me. I've caught several price drops and never once had an issue getting it taken care of. As a matter of fact, once right after I booked our upcoming cruise, it was Carnival that tried to talk slick and deny it. The TA finally put us on a 3 way and it was the TA that went to bat for me. The Carnival rep claimed confusion but after about 10 minutes adjusted the price.

Check for your own price drops. At least once a day. There's nothing wrong with any way you choose to book so long as it works for YOU.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

it's not really in the interest of the TA to check for Price drops for you. They will likely lose money if your rate goes down.

Maybe some will, but most don't have the time or interest in saving you money once your cruise is already booked.

Honestly, if I booked an early saver rate with a TA I would make sure I had the fare viewer website and I would be checking it myself daily. But be cautious, because I have read where once you find a price drop, some people have had issues with getting their TA's to submit the form.

OP...I will NEVER book Early Saver with a TA again and my suggestion to you is if you are booking ES, then do it yourself through Carnival instead of a TA.

Booked ES with a TA twice now and neither times have they ever checked for price drops. Also, when I found price drops and would call the TA, knowing good and well that I should get the price drop, the TA would say...oh you are not eligible for that. Different TA's both times.

Just beware that if you book ES with a TA, you might not get the price drops you should.

I tend to book directly with carnival every time i sail and check for price reductions, but this time the TA is offering $75 more OBC than carnival. What do you guys think i should do? I dont want a difficult time once i find a price reduction, in getting that sent to carnival. Where can i find the TA fees for changes? or should i just ask her? Thanks for the replies so far guys

Edited by cruisin321

Before you book with a TA just ask what their charges are. Also ask what happens if you find a price drop. Is someone available all of the time to submit the form? Is it a large agency that is open 24/7 or can you call them at home? Will they reduce any OBC that you receive from them? Not out of line at all to ask about fees.

I would aso do my own checking for price drops. Especally if it is a large agency, they don't have time to check everyone's bookings.

Edited by kicia
Added info.

Just out of curiosity, why does anyone use a TA when it is so easy and more economical to do it yourself?

Who pays the TA's commission?

I can understand someone who doesn't use a computer and needs someone to help with information and planning, but what are the other advantages?

Nothing against TA but I prefer to use a PVP when booking Carnival. They can't beat the Carnival direct price. They may offer free bottle of wine or small cash incentive but not worth to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity, why does anyone use a TA when it is so easy and more economical to do it yourself?

Who pays the TA's commission?

I can understand someone who doesn't use a computer and needs someone to help with information and planning, but what are the other advantages?

I typically book through carnival, but travel agent is offering me $75 more OBC, for someone who is a bit tight on money its a big difference

What is the easiest way to check for a price drop? I have booked ES in the past and never seems to work out for me. I am about to book it again and want to keep good track of that.

Carnival website seems very convoluted to do it every day. Wondering if there's a better way.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.