Flight out of Rome too early?

Hi.

We will be returning to port at Civitavecchia at 6:00 am or so. There is a flight from Rome to O'hare at 11:15 am.

Here are our questions.

1. How long does it typically take to get from the cruise port to the airport?

2. Is this to tight to allow for getting of the ship, travel, check in, customs etc?

Your input is VERY appreciated!

Thanks.

John P.

We made it to FCO in plenty of time for a 9:50 AM flight a few years back. The ship docked on either a Saturday or Sunday, so there was not nearly as much traffic as on a weekday. We did self assist disembarkation and arranged a private driver. Drive time from the port to FCO in good traffic is around 45 minutes. Never had to wait too long at customs (three cruises from Civitavechhia). I believe the cruise line recommends flights no earlier than 11:00 AM, you should be fine. Have a great cruise - the Med is fantastic :)

We just did this flight in September. We hired a private car thru Civitavecchia taxi service. We self departed the ship and the car picked us up at 7:00 am. We were at the airport in plenty of time. Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We took that flight in October. We also hired a private driver (go in on it with people from your a Roll Call to keep the cost down) and he was at the pier waiting for us when we disembarked at 6:15. We could have made the 8:40 flight to JFK, but that would have been far too stressful.

Depending on your itinerary (we were RT from Civitavecchia) you most likely won't have to go through immigration at the pier. And if you carry your bags off the ship, that will save even more time.

Here's a tip for FCO: you will have to take out any electronics - not just your cellphone or computer but also shavers, cameras, toothbrushes, etc. - and put them into a plastic bag. Knowing that in advance would have saved us quite a few minutes as we were clumsily going through our bags to get everything out. And you may have to prove that they work, so make sure that they are charged up.

Edited by critterchick

Rhapsody does some 9 and 10 night cruises out of Civitavecchia that don't return on the weekend so if you're on one of these cruises traffic can be quite bad during the week which can more than double the time to travel the approximately 40 miles distance to Da Vinci (FCO) airport.

The cruise we did out of that port return around 5am on a Sunday so we were able to get into Rome fairly early but our flight was the next day.

That airport was terrible for us with really long lineups at check in and through security especially for the check in at major airlines like United, Lufthansa, etc.

We are booked for Allure in May with our embarkation/disembarkation in Rome (Civitavecchia). The itenerary has us arrivng at 7am on a Thursday. We were looking at a private transfer to FSO with a flight departure to Toronto, Canada at 12:30pm. It sounds as though there should be no problems if all is "normal".

So, it sounds like we don't have to clear customs disembarking the ship? Is this a EU regululation/thing? Another question, does the ship hold our passports or do we, like in the Carribean? One last question, do the people disembarking use a different exit VS the others that embarked in Barcelona who are just getting off for a port day?

Thanks for the answers.

Andrew

Edited by A&L_Ont

Good luck. It is doable but be the first off the ship with self assist. Many of the problems are with multiple security lines at the airport and the bus ride to the actual terminal. The international terminal is just a secure check in location.

We sailed RT from Rome on the Serenade in October and returned to the port at 5 AM. We were off the ship and picked up by Rome Cabs about 6:20 AM on a Wednesday and in the airport within an hour. No real traffic.

I found FCO to be really easy and I didn't have to pull anything out since I had TSA precheck - which I was told wouldn't apply for international flights back to the USA. This was US Air to Phily and then home to TPA. We had lots of time to kill until our 10:50 AM flight after we arrived at the gate :)

Your flight time should be fine even if you don't dock until 6 AM. Just make sure you book a private transfer and carry your luggage off. I had organized a group transfer on our roll call thread so if you can do that it will save some $$$.

Enjoy your cruise!

Good luck. It is doable but be the first off the ship with self assist. Many of the problems are with multiple security lines at the airport and the bus ride to the actual terminal. The international terminal is just a secure check in location.

We are flying Air Canada executive, so check in should go quick at the airport, not to mention we will have checked in prior to disembarking the ship. We will do a private transfer as well as self assist disembarkation at the pier to speed up the process.

Thanks for the info.

Andrew

We sailed RT from Rome on the Serenade in October and returned to the port at 5 AM. We were off the ship and picked up by Rome Cabs about 6:20 AM on a Wednesday and in the airport within an hour. No real traffic.

I found FCO to be really easy and I didn't have to pull anything out since I had TSA precheck - which I was told wouldn't apply for international flights back to the USA. This was US Air to Phily and then home to TPA. We had lots of time to kill until our 10:50 AM flight after we arrived at the gate :)

Your flight time should be fine even if you don't dock until 6 AM. Just make sure you book a private transfer and carry your luggage off. I had organized a group transfer on our roll call thread so if you can do that it will save some $$$.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the info. It shows we disembark at 7am, and out flight is at 12:30pm. It sounds like this should work well.

Andrew

We are booked for Allure in May with our embarkation/disembarkation in Rome (Civitavecchia). The itenerary has us arrivng at 7am on a Thursday. We were looking at a private transfer to FSO with a flight departure to Toronto, Canada at 12:30pm. It sounds as though there should be no problems if all is "normal".

So, it sounds like we don't have to clear customs disembarking the ship? Is this a EU regululation/thing? Another question, does the ship hold our passports or do we, like in the Carribean? One last question, do the people disembarking use a different exit VS the others that embarked in Barcelona who are just getting off for a port day?

Thanks for the answers.

Andrew

We didn't have to surrender our passports on Serenade (US citizens); I don't know if other nationalities did. My understanding is that it depends on the ports you're going to visit - some will want to see your passports, others won't. We were all EU except for Kotor, Montenegro, which I think is why we didn't have to clear immigration or customs upon our return.

Enjoy your cruise!

I forgot that we arrived at 5:00.:o But disembarkation started at 5:30, as I recall (the ship doesn't have to clear before they let people off, either). Lucky you with the pre-check we have it, too, and still had to take all of our electronic stuff out. In fact, we had to do it twice - once going through security and again as we boarded the plane (that was a random check). But nothing took all that long to accomplish on a Saturday.

We didn't have to surrender our passports on Serenade (US citizens); I don't know if other nationalities did. My understanding is that it depends on the ports you're going to visit - some will want to see your passports, others won't. We were all EU except for Kotor, Montenegro, which I think is why we didn't have to clear immigration or customs upon our return.

I forgot that we arrived at 5:00.:o But disembarkation started at 5:30, as I recall (the ship doesn't have to clear before they let people off, either). Lucky you with the pre-check we have it, too, and still had to take all of our electronic stuff out. In fact, we had to do it twice - once going through security and again as we boarded the plane (that was a random check). But nothing took all that long to accomplish on a Saturday.

All countries we will visit are EU. I guess we clear customs when we arrive in Rome when we fly in.

Strange about the electronic checks at security, but at least we have been given the heads up.

Many thanks again.

Andrew

Andrew, you should be fine, just do self deembarkation as soon as possible don't leave it to the cruiseship lottery.

Rome is a great walking city, have a great trip.

jc

We going to go for three nights prior to embarkation day to tour Rome. We will be staying near the Pantheon so there will many great walks. I read on the roll call prior to ours that the majority of the people board in Spain, so in theory there should a smaller group disembarking when we do. We also aren't on the first disembarkation in Rome, so the Allure "should" have things running smoothly. The temps look to be decent when we are there too.

My DW gave me a Carve flowboard for my birthday, so I will be talking it along with the Shuvit. When the cruisers go to shore in Rome and we embark I will be headed to the Flowrider shortly thereafter. Only one sea day, and many great ports but I will get my runs in. ;)

Thanks for the wishes.

Andrew

Rhapsody does some 9 and 10 night cruises out of Civitavecchia that don't return on the weekend so if you're on one of these cruises traffic can be quite bad during the week which can more than double the time to travel the approximately 40 miles distance to Da Vinci (FCO) airport.

The cruise we did out of that port return around 5am on a Sunday so we were able to get into Rome fairly early but our flight was the next day.

That airport was terrible for us with really long lineups at check in and through security especially for the check in at major airlines like United, Lufthansa, etc.

We took private limo to FCO with no problems but agree that Da Vinci Airport was one of the worst airports we've ever tried to get through. Lines going everywhere but no one around to really help as to which line was for which airline. Just be prepared. :-/

We took private limo to FCO with no problems but agree that Da Vinci Airport was one of the worst airports we've ever tried to get through. Lines going everywhere but no one around to really help as to which line was for which airline. Just be prepared. :-/

I also agree that Da Vinci is awful and if you are flying with American Airlines, even worst.

To the OP, keep in mind that if you are planning to ask for the VAT return, after checking in with your airline, you have to go to another office with your receipts and they might ask you to show the items. Anything valuable that you are planning to ask for the tax money back needs to be on your carry on in case they ask you to show the items. After going to this office, you will have to make another line to get your refund either in cash or on your CC. We have done this procedure in Germany, Spain, Italy and Great Britain and it took much more time in FCO. After the VAT return, then you go through security.

BTW, we once made it to a 9:50 AM flight after a Celebrity cruise, but it was too stressful.

• 7 months later...
Hi.

We will be returning to port at Civitavecchia at 6:00 am or so. There is a flight from Rome to O'hare at 11:15 am.

Here are our questions.

1. How long does it typically take to get from the cruise port to the airport?

2. Is this to tight to allow for getting of the ship, travel, check in, customs etc?

Your input is VERY appreciated!

Thanks.

John P.

Hi John - I was wondering if you were able to make your 11:15 AM flight. Was it stressful? I'm cruising on NCL Epic in November and will be in the same situation you were in.

Thanks!!

Hi OrlCruz.

I will let you know. We sail two weeks from tomorrow!

How exciting! I hope the next two weeks go by fast, I hate the final cruise countdown wait! I'm sending good vibes ur way - everything will go smoothly!!! Enjoy!

Must have been some other reason you got that privilege, since TSA does not operate in Rome.

I expect they might be confusing their connecting flight. As you say there is no TSA Pre Check or any other security lane like that.

I have been on that US Air flight to Philadelphia. It is stressful. When you get to FCO you have to get a bus to Terminal 5. Flights to the US are from that Terminal. That shuttle runs every 15 minutes. Then there are more than one security check including one where you have to have your electronics including chargers out in a clear bag. To do an 11:15 flight I advise doing self disembarkation and have a taxi pre booked.

Having debarked in Rome 3 times, I would say it is doable, but not to be recommended. We usually leave around noon. Plenty of time. Let us know how it works out.

What I did last time to avoid the stress was stay over in Italy a day later since there was only the 11:15 flight.

I expect they might be confusing their connecting flight. As you say there is no TSA Pre Check or any other security lane like that.

I have been on that US Air flight to Philadelphia. It is stressful. When you get to FCO you have to get a bus to Terminal 5. Flights to the US are from that Terminal. That shuttle runs every 15 minutes. Then there are more than one security check including one where you have to have your electronics including chargers out in a clear bag. To do an 11:15 flight I advise doing self disembarkation and have a taxi pre booked.

That does sound stressful - it'll be a wake up call that my vacation will be over [emoji26]