Need an unbiased opinion

missdorado26

You are mistaken. Check my signature and you will see I have sailed Disney , Royal Carribbean , Norwegian, Holland america, Carnival and Princess. It's just an opinion but I wasn't thrilled with Norwegian or Carnival and wouldn't sail them again. A cruise is what you make it however I like the food, service and decor better on other lines. We. We're asked a question to which I responded.

Planning to go on a cruise for my 30th without the kkds. Always wanted to go on a Disney cruise but they are so expensive. Found an awesome deal for a day cruise to Nassau and castaway cay for 1200. Then started looking and other lines and most of their 3 days are less than half the cost. It's leaving out of port Canaveral ( already bought the flight for this day) so it either 3 day disney on the dream or 3 day on royal Caribbean. Is disney really worth the extra money? Don't really care about the characters sp that's not why I'm going with disney.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

Cruise agent here..30+ cruises on ALL but Costa & MSC...pound for pound, NOTHING can compete with Disney, especially the Dream or Fantasy..IMO, she has the best cabins ( by far), best bathrooms ( most have 2 bathrooms in each cabin, nice!), best buffet, best MDR ( food is subjective, but my wife & I felt Disney was the best..), best service, best musicals ( AMAZING shows!!), and by far, the best private island in Castaway Cay..also, the adult's only dining venue, Palo, has a brunch that will certainly put you in a foodie coma- for $25 pp, you will have a choice of over 100 items..it took me 3 days to recover...Pirate show & fireworks at night also terrific..best sailaway party I've ever seen....I've cruised the Enchantment twice, and although she is small & old, she's fine for 3 days.. I don't know your financial situation..it's like comparing a Best Western ( RCI) to a Hyatt ( Disney)- both will have beds, TV & bathroom, only in different styles & quality, & size...if you can afford it, go with the Dream...don't miss the 3 shows at night ( we did the 4 nighter last year) , Palo's & Animator's Palate for dinner, Pirate show, Serenity Beach on Castaway Cay ( for adult's..so beautiful!! You have your OWN buffet area!!)...good luck on whatever you choose...make sure you get a balcony for $1200- only way to go...get the category 4's if you can, much bigger & nicer...

Big Al

Cruise agent here..30+ cruises on ALL but Costa & MSC...pound for pound, NOTHING can compete with Disney, especially the Dream or Fantasy..IMO, she has the best cabins ( by far), best bathrooms ( most have 2 bathrooms in each cabin, nice!), best buffet, best MDR ( food is subjective, but my wife & I felt Disney was the best..), best service, best musicals ( AMAZING shows!!), and by far, the best private island in Castaway Cay..also, the adult's only dining venue, Palo, has a brunch that will certainly put you in a foodie coma- for $25 pp, you will have a choice of over 100 items..it took me 3 days to recover...Pirate show & fireworks at night also terrific..best sailaway party I've ever seen....I've cruised the Enchantment twice, and although she is small & old, she's fine for 3 days.. I don't know your financial situation..it's like comparing a Best Western ( RCI) to a Hyatt ( Disney)- both will have beds, TV & bathroom, only in different styles & quality, & size...if you can afford it, go with the Dream...don't miss the 3 shows at night ( we did the 4 nighter last year) , Palo's & Animator's Palate for dinner, Pirate show, Serenity Beach on Castaway Cay ( for adult's..so beautiful!! You have your OWN buffet area!!)...good luck on whatever you choose...make sure you get a balcony for $1200- only way to go...get the category 4's if you can, much bigger & nicer...

Big Al

Thanks for the review!

Do you have to pay extra for serenity beach on castaway cay? We actually did decide to go with disney. It was extra but I'm glad we did it. Especially with all the bad press RC is getting from the man overboard who was saved by disney. I LOVE ALL things Disney and I will never know the difference until I compare it off myself so I'm glad we chose disney. Got a verandah in the 7 section. Not sure what that means but whatever it is I'll enjoy it.

Thanks for the review!

Do you have to pay extra for serenity beach on castaway cay? We actually did decide to go with disney. It was extra but I'm glad we did it. Especially with all the bad press RC is getting from the man overboard who was saved by disney. I LOVE ALL things Disney and I will never know the difference until I compare it off myself so I'm glad we chose disney. Got a verandah in the 7 section. Not sure what that means but whatever it is I'll enjoy it.

Congratulations!!! And NO, both Castaway Cay & Serenity Beach are free..just take the tram to Serenity Beach when you get off the ship- as you go into the beach area ( right before), on your left will be a bar & the buffet area..if you don't have kids, no need to go to the family areas..can get a bit noisy of course..cat 7 a is a smaller , but decent size cabin..TIP: if they offer you an upgrade, especially a cat 4 cabin for XX $, take it if you can swing it..I thought you might like to see my review of our Dream cruise, so just click on the link..any questions, let me know...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1942291

Big Al

Got a verandah in the 7 section. Not sure what that means but whatever it is I'll enjoy it.

Cat 7 verandah has same size as cat 5s and 6s. The only difference is the balcony maybe partially obstructed. Not that big of a deal IMO. Cat 4 is bigger though.

Enjoy your "Dream" cruise.

Cat 7 verandah has same size as cat 5s and 6s. The only difference is the balcony maybe partially obstructed. Not that big of a deal IMO. Cat 4 is bigger though.

Enjoy your "Dream" cruise.

Cat 4's are 299 sf, cat 5-7's are 249 SF..both have a 45 SF balcony, BUT cat 7's are called "Navigator" balconies- that is the bottom area is not glass & see through..you must be standing to see the ocean...FYI....

Big Al

Cat 4's are 299 sf, cat 5-7's are 249 SF..both have a 45 SF balcony, BUT cat 7's are called "Navigator" balconies- that is the bottom area is not glass & see through..you must be standing to see the ocean...FYI....

Big Al

Some do, some don't.

OP, you can check the below thread for more information.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1858042

Read your review. It was awesome. Thinking about doing palo brunch and maybe dinner for my birthday. Can yiu order as much as you want or try different entrees like other ships? What about in the other main dining rooms?

Thanks for the all the info. Where would I ask for an upgrade? Before we board or once we board?

Call after you've made your final payment...maybe about 2-4 weeks before the sailing date & ask what an upgrade would cost..unfortunately, DCL does not give complimentary upgrades very often..also, MAKE SURE that Animator's Palate is one of the 3 restaurants for your rotation dining- you can do this by also calling as soon as you are allowed to book excursions or specialty dining...also, if you want something special & nice, try Palo's, the Italian/ Med cuisine for $25 PP...as you can read in my review, it was outstanding! See if Maria from Romania is still there ( tiny gal) and ask for her..she was the best we ever had..

If you still have any questions after you read my review, or any other ones, let me know..all shows were grade A (IMO)...

Big Al

Read your review. It was awesome. Thinking about doing palo brunch and maybe dinner for my birthday. Can yiu order as much as you want or try different entrees like other ships? What about in the other main dining rooms?

I'm glad you like my review..some good news & bad: there is NO Palo brunch on 3 night cruises, sorry..good news: you CAN eat dinner, and yes, you can order a few different entrees and side dishes ( within reason)..and even in the 3 other dining rooms...FYI- there are only 2 dining times, 5:45 & 8 pm , last I heard..the earlier, which we did & I prefer, has more younger kids, so be aware of that...Definitely do Palo for your birthday! Call & find out when you make your final payment when you can book Palo's & tell them it's your b'day..read my review again & write down some of those tips & places to go & do- Pirate's show,adult pool,Meridian Bar at sunset (deck 12, aft, near Palo's..), Skyline Lounge ( walls change every 15 minutes to a different city skyline, very cool!)..BTW, the adult bars & lounges are aft on deck 4, which is also where the outside Promenade deck is- don't miss taking a walk out there after dinner, or at sunset..it is, IMO, the most beautiful outside promenade we've been on...

Let me know if you have other questions..BTW, when are you cruising?

Big Al

I'm glad you like my review..some good news & bad: there is NO Palo brunch on 3 night cruises, sorry..good news: you CAN eat dinner, and yes, you can order a few different entrees and side dishes ( within reason)..and even in the 3 other dining rooms...FYI- there are only 2 dining times, 5:45 & 8 pm , last I heard..the earlier, which we did & I prefer, has more younger kids, so be aware of that...Definitely do Palo for your birthday! Call & find out when you make your final payment when you can book Palo's & tell them it's your b'day..read my review again & write down some of those tips & places to go & do- Pirate's show,adult pool,Meridian Bar at sunset (deck 12, aft, near Palo's..), Skyline Lounge ( walls change every 15 minutes to a different city skyline, very cool!)..BTW, the adult bars & lounges are aft on deck 4, which is also where the outside Promenade deck is- don't miss taking a walk out there after dinner, or at sunset..it is, IMO, the most beautiful outside promenade we've been on...

Let me know if you have other questions..BTW, when are you cruising?

Big Al

We are cruising end of the month. Jan 30th to Feb 2nd out of port Canaveral. So any tips or recommendations for car rentals or hotel? We are flying in on Thursday night. Cruise Friday.

We are cruising end of the month. Jan 30th to Feb 2nd out of port Canaveral. So any tips or recommendations for car rentals or hotel? We are flying in on Thursday night. Cruise Friday.

Wow- that's soon!!! There is a nice Residence Inn right near the port..a bit $$, but close & lovely place...you can search on Trip Advisor.com and put in "Port Canaveral hotels" in the search button for other hotels.....TIP: If you drive to the port, be careful getting off the I-95 exit- it's about 10 miles to the port, and there are cops with radar traps waiting to catch you..don't go more than 10 miles over the speed limit & stay to the right...don't miss the Sailaway party on the pool deck...also my wife told me to tell you that there are designated times on the Dream when the Disney characters all come out in the magnificent atrium & you can meet all of them..it is written in the Disney Daily program ( called The Navigator?) all the times & places....make your reservation NOW for Palo's..call them immediately! Also check to see how much an upgrade to a CAT 4 cabin would be ( if you want the nicer, bigger cabin with TWO bathrooms!!)..let me know how you make out...

Alan

"Big Al" thank you for the link to your review on DCL. It was helpful hearing it from someone cruising sans children and "of a certain age" [emoji6].

I'm seriously considering DCL as a maiden voyage for DH & me, or solo me. From what I understand, reading here & talking with a TA, DCL isn't known as a "Party Hearty" venue with ribald revelry or Bourbon Street "sludge". We'd go out of Galveston on ...I think it's the Magic.

MissDorado26, hope you don't mind my tagging along in your thread! You had some excellent opinions offered. Please post a review of your cruise, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Big Al" thank you for the link to your review on DCL. It was helpful hearing it from someone cruising sans children and "of a certain age" [emoji6].

I'm seriously considering DCL as a maiden voyage for DH & me, or solo me. From what I understand, reading here & talking with a TA, DCL isn't known as a "Party Hearty" venue with ribald revelry or Bourbon Street "sludge". We'd go out of Galveston on ...I think it's the Magic.

MissDorado26, hope you don't mind my tagging along in your thread! You had some excellent opinions offered. Please post a review of your cruise, too.

Telynau- Glad you liked my review..LOL, I promised my wife one day I'd take her on a Disney cruise, and in 2006, we did the the Wonder..fabulous time...FYI- The Magic has been "Re-imagined" and looks real nice..she is still much smaller than the Dream in PC...correct, they are NOT party- hearty ships, but they do have great shows at night ( albeit Disney themed) and some nice adult only bars & lounges..try Palo's one night, DON'T miss Animator's Palate in the rotational dining ( you can request that it IS included!)...and we found that DCL is just lots of fun..any more questions, let me know...when are you going on the Magic?

Big Al

Based on recommendations from friends sans children and "of a certain age," we booked our 30th anniversary cruise on RCI's Navigator of the Seas. Our adult age children are coming with...but booked on a completely different deck from us. They have promised us that we should only have to see them at dinner! (Wink!).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"Big Al". We're limited to either Houston or Galveston for sailing. That limits the cruise ships a bit... Good to know the Wonder was a fabulous cruise for you and your wife. DH & I still watch Disney movies regularly, albeit in the quiet of our living room. The classics and the new productions are more our speed of entertainment HaHa.

"CCC3" TeeHee! Our 31st Anniversary is October. That's why I'm researching cruises for beginning of November 2015. Congratulations to you & yours for 30-years. [emoji4]

No not all. Glad we can all benefit from this chat. :)

Now I'm swaying away from the Disney only because we are not going with the kkds and don't think the extra cost justifies stuff that we probably use take advantage of. Now I'm looking into a balcony on royal Caribbean.

Is the enchantment of the seas a good cruise for 30yr old.

We were on the Enchantment last year and loved it!!! We're 41 & 34. The food was fantastic & we enjoyed all the activities on board. Coco Kay was a perfect relaxing beach day. Nassau was so/so we went back on the ship early & enjoyed the empty pool. Balcony room was perfect! The staff was amazing and made our trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, but the Disney ships are beautiful, aren't they?

I agree. Particularly the Dream. It's the most like what I imagine the liners looked like back in their Golden Age.

We even have the excuse of a small child, but I always come back to being unable to justify the cost. Especially for the itineraries.

"Big Al". We're limited to either Houston or Galveston for sailing. That limits the cruise ships a bit... Good to know the Wonder was a fabulous cruise for you and your wife. DH & I still watch Disney movies regularly, albeit in the quiet of our living room. The classics and the new productions are more our speed of entertainment HaHa.

"CCC3" TeeHee! Our 31st Anniversary is October. That's why I'm researching cruises for beginning of November 2015. Congratulations to you & yours for 30-years. [emoji4]

We enjoy cruising DCL with or without our kids or grandkids. Usually out of Port Canaveral, over the years we have sailed on all four DCL ships. (We will be on the Dream next month.) After taking the Wonder to Alaska several years ago, we are excited about the Wonder returning to Galveston this year and are booked for a cruise right after Thanksgiving. Counting the days! We will celebrate our 45th anniversary on this cruise. :)