Traveling with Toddlers

arkiesgirl

My husband and I are considering taking our sons and their families on a Christmas cruise next year. One of them has a toddler, who will turn 2 during the trip. Should we be concerned that she's still too young? We want her parents to be able to enjoy their time on board., but honestly I have reservations .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband and I are considering taking our sons and their families on a Christmas cruise next year. One of them has a toddler, who will turn 2 during the trip. Should we be concerned that she's still too young? We want her parents to be able to enjoy their time on board., but honestly I have reservations .

The Family Board here on cc may give you another perspective, so I would post this thread over there as well and compare the two. It could provide hours of entertainment for you if you're lucky.:D

Personally I think that it depends on the child, parents and everyone's expectations. I wouldn't have wanted to have my 2 year olds on a cruise ship but in the future I wouldn't mind helping my DD's and DS-in laws out with theirs.

Being on a cruise with a toddler is better than being at home with a toddler.

Lol. True I guess. This is normally my motto regarding the weather...a rainy day in the Caribbean is better than a rainy day at work!

Your kids are "family people" now....they will have family fun on a cruise. Traveling as a family isn't the same as traveling as a couple, but zillions do it every year!

When you have kids, you tend to them...that's the way it is! You don't stay home just because of the kids...you go and do the "mom and dad" thing wherever you are.

Edited by cb at sea

Your kids are "family people" now....they will have family fun on a cruise. Traveling as a family isn't the same as traveling as a couple, but zillions do it every year!

When you have kids, you tend to them...that's the way it is! You don't stay home just because of the kids...you go and do the "mom and dad" thing wherever you are.

Or you leave them with the other set of grandparents. That's what DH and I sometimes do.

That wouldn't really work for a Christmas cruise, however.

You want honestly? Is a 2 year old too young? Probably. However, since that toddler will have an extended family (including doting Grandparents) all should be fine as long as everyone involved take their turns as caregivers :). On our numerous cruises we have seen many apparently happy extended families and other parents traveling with caregivers or nannies.

We are sure that you will all have a great time on your cruise :)

Hank

2 years is not an ideal age for a cruise, still in diapers, too young for almost all pools and all children programs. Our son was very active at that age, wanted to run and get around on his toddler tricycle. He would not sit still in any restaurant.

2 years is not an ideal age for a cruise, still in diapers, too young for almost all pools and all children programs. Our son was very active at that age, wanted to run and get around on his toddler tricycle. He would not sit still in any restaurant.

That's what I'm thinking. We may hold off on booking unless the parents are willing to take a chance.

That's what I'm thinking. We may hold off on booking unless the parents are willing to take a chance.

I would 100% hold off until the parents are ok with this and that all adults going have a chance to discuss the type of holiday it will be. Communication before and during an extended family vacation is very important IMHO.

Edited by Karysa

2 is a wonderful age for a cruise or any family vacation.

However this subject is best discussed with the parents. Might I suggest the OP speak to them since it is their child.