Who is correct

I was talking to a man today who has just come back from a Holland America cruise to New Zealand and back. He proudly told me how he and his friends removed the gratuity and at the end of the cruise gave the cabin steward an envelope with money in it. I told him that the money would have to be handed in to the tips pool and given evenly to all the crew. (not bar staff)

He didn't believe me and said he was assured the money could be kept by the cabin steward and his off sider. I don't know what he did in the dining room. I didn't want to discuss it further with him, but I would love to know, was I right?

Cheers

I was talking to a man today who has just come back from a Holland America cruise to New Zealand and back. He proudly told me how he and his friends removed the gratuity and at the end of the cruise gave the cabin steward an envelope with money in it. I told him that the money would have to be handed in to the tips pool and given evenly to all the crew. (not bar staff)

He didn't believe me and said he was assured the money could be kept by the cabin steward and his off sider. I don't know what he did in the dining room. I didn't want to discuss it further with him, but I would love to know, was I right?

Cheers

tipping is a hot topic but if you tip the steward what about the other people that serves you

when we were on a mediterrean cruise with holland america, we left the hotel service charge on but gave a cabin men a extra tip, the supervisor was with them at the time and we assured them that we haven't taken the hotel service charge off, so therefore they were able to keep the extra tip.

I've cruised with HAL a number if years and I believe your understanding of the tips is correct. If the hotel charge is removed, then any money given to individualls has to be handed in so that it goes into the tip pool.

I was embarrassed on my Med cruise on HAL a few months ago to hear a large number of Aussies and Brits boasting how they were removing the tips - and encouraging table mates to do it also. And they weren't newbies either.

I tried to tell him all that but he didn't want to listen. I just think he is cheap.

Cheers

Just back from RCCL cruise on Voyager.One person was encouraging passengers to take off tips and give what they want to steward etc.I agree completely.It is not cheap and if it is going to be compulsory it is not a gratuity/tip and should be included in booking price for all.If prepaid or auto there is no incentive for staff and this can now be seenon cruises.

It may well become a mandatory service charge as the next iteration.

I think you will be right, like they are on some lines already for the aussie season. Eventually the fares will increase for the ones that do not do it and then some people will complain that the tips are built into the price. People cannot have it both ways.

We find talking about gratuities can make for a lot of tension. We do what we think is right, and if others want to do something different that is not our business really. We don't follow what they do.

Edited by goodycruising

We find talking about gratuities can make for a lot of tension. We do what we think is right, and if others want to do something different that is not our business really. We don't follow what they do.

I agree with the above comment BUT I find that people from non-tipping cultures are often completely unaware that the gratuities are a significant, perhaps a major, portion of the income for staff on American based cruise lines. Base salaries are held low by management in anticipation of substantial additional income from the gratuities. One can certainly argue the merits of this system but it is what it is. It strikes me that eliminating or reducing the gratuities on the basis of a personal philosophy is only hurting the hard working staff and has no appreciable impact on the "System". For the time being consider gratuities as part of the fare when you select your cruise and register your complaints on the structure of that fare with management.

Again, one must do what one thinks is right but if someone wished to stand on some perceived high moral ground they should be aware of the impact of their position.

Robbie

I agree with the above comment BUT I find that people from non-tipping cultures are often completely unaware that the gratuities are a significant, perhaps a major, portion of the income for staff on American based cruise lines. Base salaries are held low by management in anticipation of substantial additional income from the gratuities. One can certainly argue the merits of this system but it is what it is. It strikes me that eliminating or reducing the gratuities on the basis of a personal philosophy is only hurting the hard working staff and has no appreciable impact on the "System". For the time being consider gratuities as part of the fare when you select your cruise and register your complaints on the structure of that fare with management.

Again, one must do what one thinks is right but if someone wished to stand on some perceived high moral ground they should be aware of the impact of their position.

Robbie

Good post, I consider the gratuities as a misnamed service charge and therefore include it in the package price. I always prepay them anyway and have never thought of having them revoked. If staff go above and beyond then I tip them knowing that the tip is for them and not a tipping pool as the pool is already accounted for.:D

Good post, I consider the gratuities as a misnamed service charge and therefore include it in the package price. I always prepay them anyway and have never thought of having them revoked. If staff go above and beyond then I tip them knowing that the tip is for them and not a tipping pool as the pool is already accounted for.:D

Thank you.

I do the same. In addition, I have been told several times that mentioning someone by name in the end of cruise review is the best thing you can do to reward them. Those reviews are heavily weighted in promotion consideration they tell me. Cash is nice but a promotion is a real reward.

Robbie

Thank you.

I do the same. In addition, I have been told several times that mentioning someone by name in the end of cruise review is the best thing you can do to reward them. Those reviews are heavily weighted in promotion consideration they tell me. Cash is nice but a promotion is a real reward.

Robbie

Definitely name the staff who were great in the post cruise survey.:D

I also prefer to pre-pay the gratuities/tips.

I will also make a further payment to individual crew members who have gone above and beyond.

The main reason I have for not removing the "tips",without going into a lot of detail,is the wage structure for "housekeeping" and bar staff.

Basically they come under either a section of US wage laws that sets their base wage at USD $2.13 per hour plus tips,to reach the minimum wage of USD $7.25 per hour or they employed under a Bahamian award (as RCI ships carry Bahama's registration) which sets their wage at just over $13,000.00 US per annum.

At least this was the case last time I researched the subject,and I stand to be corrected.

Kelvin

Cheers

I don't think anyone can answer that question. No one can accurately predict human behaviour. I seriously doubt that the stewards are strip searched after their shifts and it is probably against the law and their human rights to do the indignity of searching their pockets for cash. Knowing all of this is it probably easy for them to keep the cash and no one will know at all as they will need cash in hand for when they step ashore on their day off.

If I was in a workplace like that and someone slipped me some cash and if I knew I could keep it without the others knowing then I damn well would keep it all to myself.

AWWW, But, The Dutchman is Always Watching! :eek:

Every crew member has cabin mates and They will all know when you have extra money. The crew is so scared of losing their jobs, being put off at the next port, and flown home, that this does not occur to them.

I was on the Farewell Season of the Old Pacific Princess from NYC > Bermuda, way back in 2001 and I saw all the cabin stewards lined up on my deck and their officer was shouting at them in Portuguese. The crewmen were standing at attention with their heads down, looking very sad.

When I saw my Steward, I apologized for the way he was being treated. I was still working at Princess Valencia and I was very embarrassed. :o

Cameras watch them constantly and these very hard-working men and women are very trust worthy.

I don't think anyone can answer that question. No one can accurately predict human behaviour. I seriously doubt that the stewards are strip searched after their shifts and it is probably against the law and their human rights to do the indignity of searching their pockets for cash. Knowing all of this is it probably easy for them to keep the cash and no one will know at all as they will need cash in hand for when they step ashore on their day off.

If I was in a workplace like that and someone slipped me some cash and if I knew I could keep it without the others knowing then I damn well would keep it all to myself.

It's not as simple as that. Tips form a part of their remuneration and if they get tips removed, plus also don't get tips reported (handed in) then they are viewed as performing sub-par which is what the tipping system is all about, and as a result not rehired.

They report tips to meet performance standards i.e. keep their job, lest they lose it.

Having their honesty questioned is a bit rude, but maybe I think better of the crew than some others. I would like to believe that my room steward will not take anything of mine no matter how invaluable it may seem.

Edited by MicCanberra

Having their honesty questioned is a bit rude, but maybe I think better of the crew than some others. I would like to believe that my room steward will not take anything of mine no matter how invaluable it may seem.

I can't see where you are coming from??? I have read this whole thread and can't find anything about stewards acting dishonestly and taking anything belonging to a passenger???

A point I would make is that NOBODY HERE knows what goes on onboard any ship - when it comes to staff renumeration and/or tipping. EVERYTHING regarding this matter is pure speculation - or "someone onboard SS **** told me !"

I find the whole tipping thing to be a damned nuisance - not because of any "principle" or because I don't want to tip - but because the remuneration system on EVERY cruise line we have sailed on is different (and also constantly changing) . I just wish it was made compulsory for all with no exceptions or loopholes!!!! :(

Barry.

I can't see where you are coming from??? I have read this whole thread and can't find anything about stewards acting dishonestly and taking anything belonging to a passenger???

A point I would make is that NOBODY HERE knows what goes on onboard any ship - when it comes to staff renumeration and/or tipping. EVERYTHING regarding this matter is pure speculation - or "someone onboard SS **** told me !"

I find the whole tipping thing to be a damned nuisance - not because of any "principle" or because I don't want to tip - but because the remuneration system on EVERY cruise line we have sailed on is different (and also constantly changing) . I just wish it was made compulsory for all with no exceptions or loopholes!!!! :(

Barry.

Read Brisbane41's post, he may not of said that they steal but he infers that they are dishonest.:(

I certainly agree with your last statement. :D

Edited by MicCanberra

We pre-paid on our last RCI cruise. On the last night of the cruise in the dining room we felt pressured to tip extra because everyone else was even though the staff didn't go above and beyond. Our room steward was different he was excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Read Brisbane41's post, he may not of said that they steal but he infers that they are dishonest.:(

I certainly agree with your last statement. :D

How is that implying they are dishonest. They earnt it and they should keep it. I cant fathom that there would be any international laws that would force a person to hand over and share a gift or reward they receive from one person with their friends.

All a passenger has to do is slip a steward some cash in the privacy of their own cabin and no one will ever find out that this steward got it. He can easily hide it and it is not uncomon to possess cash on a ship. It would be just so easy to keep and deposit in a bank at the next port.

What I find dishonest is the fact that a passenger can no longer reward a crew member with cash. It is technically the passengers money that they are giving to a specific person. I have been on endless cruises where I have been very well looked after. There are bars on Princess ships where when the waiter sees you coming they automatically have your drink poured for you and ready to go and pull up a seat for you as soon as you arrive. Those waiters pay a lot of attention to passengers and they will get rewarded. I personally feel if a crew member goes above and beyond to look after someone and a passenger wants to reward them with cash then they need to be confident the steward will be able to keep their reward.

Hey if that doesnt work then all one has to do is get the crew members paypal details and slip them a personalised tip that way. No one will ever find out. With paypal you just get their email address and select friends and family transfer and slip them what you want in whatever currency they want.

Edited by Brisbane41

All a passenger has to do is slip a steward some cash in the privacy of their own cabin and no one will ever find out that this steward got it. He can easily hide it and it is not uncomon to possess cash on a ship. It would be just so easy to keep and deposit in a bank at the next port.

That side is easy.

As said before, it's a bit like the pressure cruisine21 referred to. They are obliged to report it, lest it be seen as though nobody is paying them tips i.e. they are poor performers. Hence, if they get no/bad reports they're dropped and if they get positive write-ups then they're seen as liars hiding their income and also dropped.

One thing I have noticed - and it is a bit hard to describe. I have only once been "hassled" for tips - this was by a waiter on Voyager of the Seas. On all other occasions,when I have tipped staff ( cash in an envelope) , they say thank you very much but don't seem to care much one way or the other. They don't show much interest at all - just put the envelope in their pocket. I guess for all they know there could be a lousy $5 note inside - but anyway, I always get a strange feeling as though they don't care because they are not going to get what is inside anyway!! I don't want them to fawn upon me because I have deemed to give them an envelope - far from it - but I am sure I have noticed a certain "disinterest" ??? What they DO care about VERY MUCH is getting a renewal of their contract - I have come across this a lot and I believe that it is the primary thing in their minds. I guess that is fair enough - because if they are not on board the ship they will get no salary or tips!!!

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

We pre-paid on our last RCI cruise. On the last night of the cruise in the dining room we felt pressured to tip extra because everyone else was even though the staff didn't go above and beyond. Our room steward was different he was excellent.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you have already tipped then I wouldn't offer any more unless the service was completely above and beyond. The people on your table may have opted out of pre paid tips etc. Not to mention, if RCI truly pass on these tips like they say they do to the staff they are very good wages that they are earning if you add it all up just the base/pre paid tips!

For this exact reason I miss the old RCI method of giving envelopes and coupons that say you have tipped to give to the staff.

Also as per another post, I definitely agree that the staff seem to care very little about gratuities and are much more concerned about you reviewing them as "excellent" in the guest survey :rolleyes: most even point out which question numbers are specific to them and their profile.