Explain it like I'm 8 :) - Oasis dining next Oct

Hi all,

I've been pouring over threads here, since my last cruise was almost 4 years ago and my last time on RC was some time before that. Anyhow, we're booked on Oasis for next October and can't wait! Our reservation lists us as having Dynamic Dining, though I know that was supposed to launch earlier this year and it's been pushed back. I've been getting a feel for what DD is but I still have a few questions that I am not sure on.

Will DD definitely be in place by October?

Will the MDR still be an option for us? (I believe it will and we will want a reservation possibly?)

I've read of people getting the same waiter each night...Is that still something that will be going on and how does that work?

Am I incorrect in getting the vibe that DD is essentially just a greater emphasis on speciality dining by way of shrinking the MDR, removing the set dining times, and removing the whole group table/same waiter way of doing things?

I appreciate the help! We've always loved dining on cruises in the past, from 2 weeks in Australia with an amazing group of British strangers at our table to Disney's rotational dining, and I'm fine with trying something new. I just want to know what to expect before we get there :)

Hi all,

I've been pouring over threads here, since my last cruise was almost 4 years ago and my last time on RC was some time before that. Anyhow, we're booked on Oasis for next October and can't wait! Our reservation lists us as having Dynamic Dining, though I know that was supposed to launch earlier this year and it's been pushed back. I've been getting a feel for what DD is but I still have a few questions that I am not sure on.

Will the MDR still be an option for us? (I believe it will and we will want a reservation possibly?)

I've read of people getting the same waiter each night...Is that still something that will be going on and how does that work?

Am I incorrect in getting the vibe that DD is essentially just a greater emphasis on speciality dining by way of shrinking the MDR, removing the set dining times, and removing the whole group table/same waiter way of doing things?

I appreciate the help! We've always loved dining on cruises in the past, from 2 weeks in Australia with an amazing group of British strangers at our table to Disney's rotational dining, and I'm fine with trying something new. I just want to know what to expect before we get there :)

I don't know if DD will be in place in Oct... but, my understanding based on everything I read is that this will replace the MDR concept. There will be no MDR, just 3 complimentary dining locations that will have a set menu for you to choose from. I would assume that each waitor would be assigned to a specific dining room, so most likely the only way to have the same table/waitor would be to choose one dining room to eat at every night (but with the same menu every night then).

DD is not "in addition" to the MDR it is instead of the MDR.

Easiest way to think of it is that you will be presented a list of restaurants on board the ship, each one has a menu that you can look at. Some restaurants are additional fee, some are complimentary.

You have the choice of making reservations ahead of time if you know when and where you would like to eat, or walking up to the restaurant of your choice when you are ready and potentially having to wait for a table (just depends on what's available when you show up).

If DD has not been implemented by then, then the MDR comes back into play and presumably you would be assigned a table and time.

Interesting! I was completely off on the MDR then. Ok, so there will be 3 complimentary restaurants. Do we know what they are on Oasis? Are the menus large enough that if we hit one twice we'll have enough variety?

Interesting! I was completely off on the MDR then. Ok, so there will be 3 complimentary restaurants. Do we know what they are on Oasis? Are the menus large enough that if we hit one twice we'll have enough variety?

Oasis will have American Icon, Silk, and Grande. If you look on Royal's website under Quantum, you can find the menus.

Hi all,

Explain it like I'm 8 :) - Oasis dining next Oct:

No one knows!!! :p;)

Additionally, each of the three inclusive restaurants will have the menu change midweek on a 7 day cruise.

The problem is that it appears the whole program was put together by 8 year olds so understanding it is not really possible.:p

No..actually if 8 year olds put DD and the IT mess together, it would actually work!!

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Not sure when it will go into effect on Oasis, but I can explain DD "like you're 8" since I've experienced it on Quantum, hope this helps...

You are visiting New York City. Within one block of your hotel, there are 10 or 12 different restaurants where you can have dinner each night. Some are more expensive than others. Some are included with your hotel package, including a big all you can eat buffet. Some are more popular than others. You will like some of the menus but not others. You might decide to make reservations, or not. If you don't make reservations, you might have to wait in line, especially for the more popular restaurants. If there's a long line, you can choose to go elsewhere, just as in a city. When you arrive at some of the restaurants, they might ask you if you want to be seated with strangers, or not. Your answer might affect your waiting time, or it might not. If you make a reservation, you can generally change it. Sometimes service will be outstanding. Other times it will seem indifferent or take a long time.

To summarize: the only thing DD isn't, is predictable. Each cruiser's experience will be a little different based on their choices.

We are booked on Oasis in October, our reservation started as MTD, then changed to DD and yesterday changed back to MTD.

I just want to select my dining times now, with all this messing !

I just checked and mine switched from DD to MTD, too! I guess I'll just continue to watch and assume it can change again.

Not sure when it will go into effect on Oasis, but I can explain DD "like you're 8" since I've experienced it on Quantum, hope this helps...

You are visiting New York City. Within one block of your hotel, there are 10 or 12 different restaurants where you can have dinner each night. Some are more expensive than others. Some are included with your hotel package, including a big all you can eat buffet. Some are more popular than others. You will like some of the menus but not others. You might decide to make reservations, or not. If you don't make reservations, you might have to wait in line, especially for the more popular restaurants. If there's a long line, you can choose to go elsewhere, just as in a city. When you arrive at some of the restaurants, they might ask you if you want to be seated with strangers, or not. Your answer might affect your waiting time, or it might not. If you make a reservation, you can generally change it. Sometimes service will be outstanding. Other times it will seem indifferent or take a long time.

To summarize: the only thing DD isn't, is predictable. Each cruiser's experience will be a little different based on their choices.

Thank you!! That makes sense (as much as it can make sense lol).

We are booked on Oasis in October, our reservation started as MTD, then changed to DD and yesterday changed back to MTD.

I just want to select my dining times now, with all this messing !

We are booked for 12/5/15 and just noticed our's changed to MTD -- so even though you can't get much "later in 2015" than December, I guess they are using MTD instead of DD until they figure out what is going on. Hopefully they don't make the change on 12/4/15. :-)