Solstice in January

mackel

It seems the thread has gotten a bit off topic from the OP post so I'll throw my 2 cents worth in

I was reviewing my boss's Expense Report from an Australian trip and saw that he paid $55 a night to park his rental car at a Hotel in Brisbane.

He must have got the early bird discount rate Kevin. Melbourne & Sydney parking is even more expensive. It's not uncommon to park your car at the Melbourne airport for a day or two and the parking costs are higher than the flight costs - I have first hand experience of this.

She was visiting recently and bought some clothes at Target; she got 8 clothing items for under $100, said the equivalent would have been over $500 at home!

A reasonable helping of hyperbole added here me thinks.

a trip to McDonalds for 4 cost approximately $50 USD.

This was a reference to Perth in Western Australia. I would expect that McDonalds prices are fixed throughout Australia (but I could be wrong). I'm not a regular McDonalds customer but believe a Big Mac meal is about A$10 - about US$8. The exchange rate has dropped 20% in the past 6 months so it would have been more expensive in the US$ in the past couple of years. And generally Perth is more expensive than the Eastern States of Australia - it's just so remote. Whether or not the increased freight costs account for the additional costs I can't be sure.

Despite the higher cost of living, it's really not such a bad place.

Happy Days

Rob

Wow thanks to everyone that replied! Didn't think my thread would cause so much of a stir! :rolleyes:

As for tipping, it looks like a heavily debated topic. I will be sure to take plenty of smaller notes and tip room service when necessary.

Plus - my 2 cents worth on the tipping situation... for those who said that Australians don't tip/don't tip well, I was on a recent trip to Hawaii and can guarantee you we not only tipped, but tipped well and above what was required. Saw all the other Australians doing the same.

Here is a you tube clip which should solve your baggage tag dilemma. I took a small roll of sellotape to stick the ends together.

If you take a power board with you run the risk of having it confiscated as they are not permitted. Some get through some don't. Your choice

So, we had heard that Australians don't tip. Ever. Then why, may I ask, do restaurant credit card receipts come with a line for entering the gratuity??? This confused us SO much!

One day we were have lunch at a nice restaurant in Sydney and decided to ask the ladies at the adjoining table about the policy. They were horrified to learn that we were under the impression that tipping was not de rigeur!! They claim that they always tip when enjoying a nice meal. So it's not as clear-cut as as you Aussies claim it is!!

It's definitely not clear cut - and not all of us claim it is. :)

Some here have a strong dogma about not tipping. The simple situation is that it is not necessary, but it's certainly not true that it doesn't exist. If you appreciate extra special service, you are certainly welcome to tip.

Of course, as visitor numbers grow and therefore absolute numbers of tips increase, some merchants/operators more strongly encourage/enforce tips. Ideally, that is something to be avoided, but some take advantage of the situation, whatever the context is.

However, your point about minimum wage is right on, even at McDonalds the base pay is almost $20/hour in Australia.

It actually can vary from about $8 to $20/hour. And that's Australian dollars, so mark it down to about $6.50 to $16 US.

Prices in Oz seemed exorbitant to us. At a small nondescript sidewalk cafe on the Gold Coast, not near the beach, an a la carte plate of pasta (without any meat) was $28--outrageous!!

I say that's more a factor in being a tourist. I found some of the US eatery prices outrageous too, after you add on taxes and tips which are hidden. And then convert. Woah!

Unlike the price you quote above which is all inclusive - and presumably before conversion.

I also just remembered that when we were there, a bunch of bananas at the grocery store was $10!!!!

Bananas here are usually about $2.99/kg. So about AU$1.30/lb in your units, or US$1.10/lb in your currency.

Maybe you get them cheaper than that, but I don't think that price is extremely expensive in regular grocery stores. Again, it sounds just like you were shopping as tourists in the wrong place e.g. maybe you went to a 'convenience store' where everything is priced high!

Edited by The_Big_M

Hi, I have just returned from a beautiful cruise on the Solstice from Sydney to New Zealand - you will love it, she is a magnificent ship. This was my first Celebrity cruise, and I was overwhelmed how wonderful their service is. Enjoy your lovely holiday.

Glad you like the Solstice so much!! We got off of the Solstice in February 2014. Things worked worked very well for us. Liked this ship. Check out the postings below on my live/blog for more info/background on these many different ports, tour options, visuals, etc.!

On tipping in Australia and/or elsewhere, I'll skip that challenging question. Way above my pay-grade and set of knowledge skills. Don't know that there are any easy answers for this evolving, perplexing question.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 91,530 views for this posting.

Bananas here are usually about $2.99/kg. So about AU$1.30/lb in your units, or US$1.10/lb in your currency.

Maybe you get them cheaper than that, but I don't think that price is extremely expensive in regular grocery stores. Again, it sounds just like you were shopping as tourists in the wrong place e.g. maybe you went to a 'convenience store' where everything is priced high!

Thanks for the input, but we were not in touristy places, as my daughter lives there with her Aussie bf and took us to the places they always frequent. The bananas were at Woolies, and the cafe was definitely not in a touristy area, just in their residential neighborhood. It was $28 AUD for the a la carte pasta, granted that included tax and tip.

I never look at bananas' price per pound, but I know that a bunch of 4 or 5 would be a couple of dollars here, certainly not close to $10!

In any event, it is what it is, and when we go to her graduation from med school next year we will pay whatever we need to--can't miss that!! But the prices were definitely close to 50% more than we are used to paying for similar items at home, and that's okay, it's our choice to go there. In the meantime I will continue to send care packages of the things she needs, and her BF and his daughter need; I even shipped a wedding dress to one of her friends one time!!

The issue about tipping downunder that most Yanks fail to comprehend is not that tipping doesn't exist but a standard 15% over and above for doing what is the norm is not expected nor is it encouraged. Americans and not far behind Europeans have come to expect that one should pay an additional 15 - 20% as a matter of course rather than for exceptional service. Some restaurants are now adding a service charge as part of their cost structure which in reality is a compulsory tip. Patrons have the choice of using these facilities or not. It is interesting that on our recent cruise on the Celebrity Century out of Australia we felt no pressure at all to provide a tip. In fact whilst we did so (we also paid our gratuities up front) we were some what bemused that our envelope was taken with a blasé attitude which will definitely affect our attitude on the Solstice next month. What was more important was that we provide a favourable comment on the end of cruise report. Apparently these reports determine ones future with the cruise line. Food for thought.

What I did notice and what really disturbed me was the fact that some items we bought at the start of the cruise got discounted before the end and we had quite a job getting a refund of the difference. Best price guarantees seem to but a figment of the cruise lines imagination despite the rhetoric.

Thanks for the input, but we were not in touristy places, as my daughter lives there with her Aussie bf and took us to the places they always frequent. The bananas were at Woolies, and the cafe was definitely not in a touristy area, just in their residential neighborhood. It was $28 AUD for the a la carte pasta, granted that included tax and tip.

I never look at bananas' price per pound, but I know that a bunch of 4 or 5 would be a couple of dollars here, certainly not close to $10!

Over the last several years our banana growing areas have been hit by terrible cyclones and most of our banana crops wiped out. So from time to time when there has been a shortage we have paid up to $10 per kilo, but I assure you as I only purchased them yesterday from our local Woolies, they were $3.99 a kilo. I'm sure now that I have pointed it out all Australians on this board will remember the 'great banana shortages' of recent years and their very high cost.

As for $28 for a Pasta Dish, it is high, I would never pay that much and I would certainly only find that price in your trendy Cafe's or up market restaurants. Also it doesn't help she is in the Gold Coast, even the non touristy areas still have a higher cost of living than the non-tourist towns and cities the rest of us live in.

Not that I am saying Australia doesn't have a higher cost of living than the US, it does but earning my current salary as a Personal Assistant and paying what US people say things cost - goodness I would be a millionaire :)

To get back to the OP's questions, I laminate my luggage tags, fold them over laminate them back to back, cut them out leaving a plain laminated part on top and hole punch in that area and tie the tags on with a cable tie. Strong sturdy and yes I know I always go over the top when I do things. I also round off the corners so they are not sharp. They look pretty swish even if I do say so myself. I then keep them to put in my scrapbook.

Don't know about power boards, I too have hear that they are confiscated so never brought one on board, I have found with a double US/Aus converter plug I have more than enough plugs as I dont plug everything in at the same time.

Tipping - Simple, I have paid the gratuities, that is it. If my Room Steward does an outstanding job that goes far beyond what expected I would tip him extra but so far (except once) while my stewards have been very good they have done nothing that caused me to think 'wow that was beyond the call of duty'.

Room Service - I didn't tip for room service on HAL and it did not seem to be expected (I just did not know about this expectation when I cruised with them). However my Celebrity cruise it did seem to be expected (in other words the delivery person lingered after dropping off my order) and as I found it an uncomfortable process I simply didn't order room service after that. Don't know how this will go on our longer Solstice cruise - I bet those room service people get loaded down with our $1/$2 coins as opposed to US notes.

For our Solstice cruise last November I bought a cheap powerboard from KMart with the thought that if it gets confiscated I don't care. I carried it onboard in my carry on bag, the bag was x-rayed and no one said anything. I left it on the desk in my room in plain view of my room steward, no one said anything ever. Just don't forget your US/EU adaptor as there are no Aussie power points on Solstice.

We pre-paid our tips and that was it. We will give tips to exceptional service, but didn't feel that it was warranted in this case. Our room steward was good, but not great and missed things daily, like he would forget to empty the bin or not wipe glass water rings from the counter, he did his job, but not overly well. We had anytime dining so didn't have the same waiters every night so didn't develop a repour with them. We ordered room service breakfast a few timnes and thanked the porter, it didn't even occur to tip her and she didn't hang around waiting or anything, we just thanked her and she left. Solstice didn't seem to encourage tipping, it was welcomed obviously but not expected. Not like on RCI where they give you an envelope on the last night and expect you to fill it, whether you've pre-paid your tips or not!

BTW - Room service from the standard menu or from the MDR menu is included, there is no charge.

Blimey, some on here getting the knickers in a twist about tipping?

The Solstice is an American ship, if she was an Australian ship then I doubt she would be financially viable as the company would have to pay Australian award wages, the prices of a cruise would double I expect.

As an Australian I can say tipping is common in Australia but not as it is in the USA, usually loose change from paying the bill or similar but then Australian workers have much higher minimum wage, but if some are saying we should be expected to tip based on the fact its an American ship that’s absolute rubbish, I pay my gratuities when I book a cruise, I then pay gratuities when I purchase a drink or whatever and for me that’s fair enough, the crew are paid the US way so are relying on tips to make a decent wage but why do I need or be expected to pay more (unless someone has gone over or above) and following American protocol, sorry that’s BS.

I've been worrying about this actually: I do order room service breakfast every morning I am on the cruise - I love to sit on my balcony and enjoy. On my last cruise i was on the mainland US before heading off to the caribbean so it was easy to just go into a bank and get a stack of $1 notes before leaving for the cruise. However, I am not going to pay bank charges to buy in a stock before this trip out of Sydney next week. So my question is: can I just take along a bunch of $2 coins and tip with those, OR can I swap some US $20 notes I have, on board, for US $1 notes and if so, would there be a charge for that?

any info gratefully received,

Trinitygirl

I've been worrying about this actually: I do order room service breakfast every morning I am on the cruise - I love to sit on my balcony and enjoy. On my last cruise i was on the mainland US before heading off to the caribbean so it was easy to just go into a bank and get a stack of $1 notes before leaving for the cruise. However, I am not going to pay bank charges to buy in a stock before this trip out of Sydney next week. So my question is: can I just take along a bunch of $2 coins and tip with those, OR can I swap some US $20 notes I have, on board, for US $1 notes and if so, would there be a charge for that?

any info gratefully received,

Trinitygirl

Good morning:)......you just want to swap money? No charge for that.

The ship will do it......yes, take your 20.00 bill and get 20 singles......

No problem......Guest Relations can do it for you.:)

Good morning:)......you just want to swap money? No charge for that.

The ship will do it......yes, take your 20.00 bill and get 20 singles......

No problem......Guest Relations can do it for you.:)

thanks Lois! that's an easy solution.

The issue about tipping downunder that most Yanks fail to comprehend is not that tipping doesn't exist but a standard 15% over and above for doing what is the norm is not expected nor is it encouraged. Americans and not far behind Europeans have come to expect that one should pay an additional 15 - 20% as a matter of course rather than for exceptional service. Some restaurants are now adding a service charge as part of their cost structure which in reality is a compulsory tip. Patrons have the choice of using these facilities or not. It is interesting that on our recent cruise on the Celebrity Century out of Australia we felt no pressure at all to provide a tip. In fact whilst we did so (we also paid our gratuities up front) we were some what bemused that our envelope was taken with a blasé attitude which will definitely affect our attitude on the Solstice next month. What was more important was that we provide a favourable comment on the end of cruise report. Apparently these reports determine ones future with the cruise line. Food for thought.

What I did notice and what really disturbed me was the fact that some items we bought at the start of the cruise got discounted before the end and we had quite a job getting a refund of the difference. Best price guarantees seem to but a figment of the cruise lines imagination despite the rhetoric.

Beanb41 -

Appreciate your comments and perspective, but not sure why you feel the need to paint "most Yanks" with a broad brush here. :confused:

Most citizens of the U.S. don't "fail" to understand anything with regards to tipping. Maybe it would be helpful for you to have a better understand that most people that work in a position of waiting tables in the food/beverage industry are probably making well below minimum wage as it is set in the U.S. I won't bother quoting what minimum wage is as it is different from one state to another that may have increased it at the state level above what is legislated at the federal level.

However, even if you take a state, like the one I live in (Pennsylvania), and use it as an example... The state minimum wage here is $7.25/hour. If you work a non-server (non-tipping) job at 40 hours a week and 52 weeks per year, you would have a gross income of $15,080 USD/year. I think we all can agree that this is not a lot of money and nobody can survive on this.

Now, most servers I know in the U.S. have an hourly wage much closer to the $3 - $5/per hour range and the remainder of their compensation comes from the "tips" that they make. Different shifts will see great fluctuation in the number of customers and the bill total for which tips are generally based on. Add to that.... they DON'T work a routine shift as they probably have 2 jobs to make enough money to live on. They also DON'T have health insurance in most cases (prior to Obamacare). You can easily see how these types of employees don't have a great life if this is their primary source of income.

This is my over-simplification on this topic of "tipping" at many U.S. land-based restaurants, which may be not as accurate since I am doing this off the top of my head and not from recent personal experience (yes, I waited tables in the early 1990's).

I'm only doing this to point out something that folks on the "other side of the world" may not fully understand. The U.S. does not have an "overtipping" problem. What we have is a problem with paying a "living wage" to low skill employees in this workforce. On top of that, these employees do not have access to state run healthcare (pre-obamacare) or any other form of retirement savings outside of "social security" which you cannot live on alone without having other types of savings/investment options that you personally contribute to.

Sorry that this has gone "way off topic". I don't want to continue down this path/conversation topic, but I did think it would be valuable for anyone reading this thread in the future to have a better image or full picture of how/why this topic of tipping can be so misunderstood.

I would prefer to live in a society/culture like the one described by folks from Australia or as I have seen in Europe during my travels, where the employees are paid reasonably well, have government run/sponsored healthcare, a decent pension or retirement option, and don't need to depend on tips as their primary source of income.

Edited by vulcan1971

Beanb41 -

Appreciate your comments and perspective, but not sure why you feel the need to paint "most Yanks" with a broad brush here. :confused:

Most citizens of the U.S. don't "fail" to understand anything with regards to tipping. Maybe it would be helpful for you to have a better understand that most people that work in a position of waiting tables in the food/beverage industry are probably making well below minimum wage as it is set in the U.S. I won't bother quoting what minimum wage is as it is different from one state to another that may have increased it at the state level above what is legislated at the federal level.

However, even if you take a state, like the one I live in (Pennsylvania), and use it as an example... The state minimum wage here is $7.25/hour. If you work a non-server (non-tipping) job at 40 hours a week and 52 weeks per year, you would have a gross income of $15,080 USD/year. I think we all can agree that this is not a lot of money and nobody can survive on this.

Now, most servers I know in the U.S. have an hourly wage much closer to the $3 - $5/per hour range and the remainder of their compensation comes from the "tips" that they make. Different shifts will see great fluctuation in the number of customers and the bill total for which tips are generally based on. Add to that.... they DON'T work a routine shift as they probably have 2 jobs to make enough money to live on. They also DON'T have health insurance in most cases (prior to Obamacare). You can easily see how these types of employees don't have a great life if this is their primary source of income.

This is my over-simplification on this topic of "tipping" at many U.S. land-based restaurants, which may be not as accurate since I am doing this off the top of my head and not from recent personal experience (yes, I waited tables in the early 1990's).

I'm only doing this to point out something that folks on the "other side of the world" may not fully understand. The U.S. does not have an "overtipping" problem. What we have is a problem with paying a "living wage" to low skill employees in this workforce. On top of that, these employees do not have access to state run healthcare (pre-obamacare) or any other form of retirement savings outside of "social security" which you cannot live on alone without having other types of savings/investment options that you personally contribute to.

Sorry that this has gone "way off topic". I don't want to continue down this path/conversation topic, but I did think it would be valuable for anyone reading this thread in the future to have a better image or full picture of how/why this topic of tipping can be so misunderstood.

I would prefer to live in a society/culture like the one described by folks from Australia or as I have seen in Europe during my travels, where the employees are paid reasonably well, have government run/sponsored healthcare, a decent pension or retirement option, and don't need to depend on tips as their primary source of income.

Excellent recap of the situation. Many of us would prefer to live in a more user-friendly environment, but I think the size of the population (20M in Oz, 36M in California alone!) and gros mismanagement over the years have resulted in the current system which we must learn to live within.

Last summer, I did my old boss a short term favor and worked for minimum wage for a few weeks helping out. I worked 20 hours/ week, and brought home about $150 every two weeks. What a joke! That's one trip to Costco! How could anyone live on minimum wage???

Excellent recap of the situation. Many of us would prefer to live in a more user-friendly environment, but I think the size of the population (20M in Oz, 36M in California alone!) and gros mismanagement over the years have resulted in the current system which we must learn to live within.

Last summer, I did my old boss a short term favor and worked for minimum wage for a few weeks helping out. I worked 20 hours/ week, and brought home about $150 every two weeks. What a joke! That's one trip to Costco! How could anyone live on minimum wage???

Hi Cathy,:) getting a little OT here but to answer your question, you

can't....don't want to have the thread closed so I won't say anything

in more detail. But you cannot live on minimum wage.

Edited by Lois R

Vulcan I think you have hit the nail on the head regarding minimum wages. The fact that the USA has a very very low minimum wage has manifested itself around the world and has impacted on those outside the USA and inside and where those who work in the "American" environment rely on tips to make a living.

The wage situation is a political situation within the USA that only the Americans can resolve and that is if they have a mind to. From my reading of the situation that political resolve is not there.

QE2_Fan -

Appreciate your comments, but no one is asking anyone to "beat themselves up" over this issue. The OP asked some questions of what to do in his circumstance. People are responding in kind.

The only persons starting to feel "beat up" here are the people kind enough to respond.

And by the way, I will be in NZ/Australia in 2016 for an 18 day cruise. It's quite possible I could see employees serving me on that cruise that would have served me when they were on one of my Celebrity cruises in the Caribbean. Does that mean I don't show any extra appreciation to them just because I am in a different body of water? See my comments in the previous post as well.

This whole conversation is starting to become absurd. :confused:

That nothing close to what I said about different bodies of water. But what you may be missing is that by being in Australasian waters she will obviously have a high percentage of locals on board. And many know about tipping but don't expect them to be experts on their first cruise on the variables of tipping and what's deemed 'normal' on the U.S. Or even US based ships. . And there will also be many Locals that have no idea about the Celebrity's head office or Ships registry and how that impacts tipping. Not saying I agree but in their eyes they've just booked a local cruise and will assume no different in their local understanding of tipping practice.

This is something that the cruise lines are aware of, In fact Princess cruises (and possibly Carnival) change their ships to a tip free pricing model when based in Australia as they are aware it caused many issues due to such a different concept of tipping (the gratuities are still included, but absorbed into the tits, cruise fare).

Anyway, I believe the OP has already shown their respect' in being aware of tipping and willing to try and do the right thing, and I stand by my post in that's the best way to go and if they get it wrong for whatever reason, don't worry about it.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, we had heard that Australians don't tip. Ever. Then why, may I ask, do restaurant credit card receipts come with a line for entering the gratuity??? This confused us SO much!

/QUOTE]

Lol! Good point. That TIP Section never used to exist on our credit chits, but it's not uncommon for a few US customs to sneak in....I think that one was more the restaurant industry and credit card merchants than anything else!

And no, not for one minute is it a black and white 'all or nothing' with us. We will often tip, but when great service or food over sb above what is expected has been provided. So in many, many instances that TIP Section is indeed left BLANK, but certainly not always!!

And of course the guys in restaurant would want to convince anyone and everyone that tipping is normal here. But it's not. These guys get paid a decent wage to begin with and any tips are basically a bonus. Very different to the US where tips are mostly boosting up the crazy minimum wages that they otherwise would struggle to get by on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While this doesn't apply to most cruise employees, any US taxpayer working in a service industry that customarily receives tips has taxes withheld on "assumed tips." The Internal Revenue Service's assumed amount is 8% of the organization's receipts. So if even if no tip is paid to the waitress, valet parker, card dealer, etc. they are still taxed as if they received an 8% tip.

This is a super-simplified description of the situation, but it's a good rule of thumb for me when I start thinking about reducing a tip for less-than-perfect service. I think that even most US residents are unaware of this situation.

If you're truly interested, you can refer to IRS Bulletin 2012-26, but that is wildly off-topic for this discussion.

I disagree with laminating luggage tags. They need to be able to be folded over to loop thru your baggage handles and stapled to form a loop. I dont se that you can do that if laminated.

Re tips, I always prepay and dont see any need to pay a cent more in tips, but I am from a none tipping country.

Yes , all room service is free.

I have just learned that RCI will give Diamond and above plastic room tag holders if asked. Also , since I did not learn this until too late we purchased luggage tag holders from Amazon.

But are "room tag holders" and "luggage tag holders" the same thing? I dont see how this relates to the OP laminating theirs. The luggage tags supplied by Celebrity are simply looped around the handle, st a pled together by the handler if you like and then discarded after deliver to your cabin. Its not like they are used over and over and need to be kept in undamaged condition.

But are "room tag holders" and "luggage tag holders" the same thing? I dont see how this relates to the OP laminating theirs. The luggage tags supplied by Celebrity are simply looped around the handle, st a pled together by the handler if you like and then discarded after deliver to your cabin. Its not like they are used over and over and need to be kept in undamaged condition.

Sorry for wrong post to wrong topic.