HELP! Chukka doesnt want to book privately

angie16451

I just called the company and they stated they cannot book with me personally because I am coming on a carnival ship. (In Ochos Rios) I can book online through their website but they ask me for a meeting location, being that I have never been to this port I do not know what to put down for a location. Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions?

Sounds like they have a contract with Carnival.

If the savings are worth it to you, you could say you're staying at a hotel and have them pick you up at a hotel. But then you'll have to pay to get from the port, to the hotel, then at the end from the hotel back to the ship.

Explaination why they do this.

It's a win win for the cruiseline and the tour operator.

The cruiseline is GUARANTEED XXX number of seats for an excursion for their guests. (At a profit)

The excursion operator is GUARANTEED revenue everytime the ship is scheduled to port to sell XXX number of excursions. (Even if the ship only sells 50% of it's allotted slots or even if the ship misses the port, the excursion company gets paid)

Hi,

Carnival has a lot of arrangements like that with local tour companies.

Here is a map of Ocho Rios showing the cruise terminal and some hotels and restaurants nearby.

You could just pick one of them as your pick up location.

http://*******/maps/bb5lR

Not sure how much money you'll be saving doing this?

We are also researching this port for an October cruise.

There seem to be lots of local tour operators/private drivers available so you may want to check out others to see where they would pick up up too.

Thank you all for your suggestions! I forgot to mention, the other problem is that the cruise line is not offering just a zipline tour through them and it is only for a zipline and tubing excursion and my husband will not do the tubing.

I thought Carnival was now guaranteeing the lowest price on excursions

They do, and they do this by signing exclusive contracts with tour operators. The tour operator turned down the OP because they have an existing contract with Carnival. If they offer that excursion to the OP, well then they're undermining the company they are in business with (Carnival) since Carnival also offers that excursion.

Maybe double check that. We went through the same thing with Chukka at Ocho Rios. We had to go through Carnival. They DID have an excursion to Chukka that was zipline only. It was a great time.

Seems to me there was more than one location for ziplining in Ocho Rios, so double check again. :) This excursion went several miles West of town to the Chukka site. There were maybe 8 or 9 runs, lots of fun.

Maybe double check that. We went through the same thing with Chukka at Ocho Rios. We had to go through Carnival. They DID have an excursion to Chukka that was zipline only. It was a great time.

Seems to me there was more than one location for ziplining in Ocho Rios, so double check again. :) This excursion went several miles West of town to the Chukka site. There were maybe 8 or 9 runs, lots of fun.

There is only one excursion through chukka that is zipline and tubing and my husband cannot do the tubing part of it. I actually just got off the phone with carnival and they do not have any others as well. I would like to go with Chukka as I have researched it well and they have the best zipline course it appears like.

I saw the map posted above but it does not work, what is the website that is starred? I have tried a couple of the map sites.

Sorry, strange that they would block Google maps!

Put Ocho Rios,Jamaica into Google.

Then use the search nearby function to see hotels.

I was able to figure it out :). Would it be safe to put Oceans 11, it appears to be a bar? I am just not sure how far away from the ship this location would be? Who has been there and could tell me! Thank you all for your help!

I use the sister site to this one, Trip Advisor, to get my local information. I'd go to the Ocho Rios,Jamaica forum to ask. If you are not comfy doing that I can try to get the info for you.

I found an old post on Trip Advisor where the local expert says that Oceans 11 is right by the cruise port.

Edited by riffatsea

Go to the Carnival website, clk on shore excursions, Ocho Rios. It's called "canopy adventure". It's zip line only - no tubing. $99.99. It's a blast.:D

I was told this one was not through Chukka, am I incorrect?

I was told this one was not through Chukka, am I incorrect?

In Carnivals' description it says something about "Chukka Cove Farm." Hey, you decide. It was great for us, and we'd do it again in a heartbeat....and no tubing. You asked for "no tubing". It's no tubing. You asked for "Chukka" and it says Chukka Cove Farm.

Edited by satbeachbill

Just got back from Jamaica we did the tubing thru the ship because it was same price and was thru chukkah. There are a couple places to do zip linning 1 is up by bobsledding and if a lot of ships are in I don't recommend it, because it gets crazy up there and we heard people saying they never got to go because it was over booked.

If your husband is interested in seeing what the tubing is like we had a gopro on the river. We enjoyed it.

Just an FYI if you book your trip thru carnival and your tour is late coming back they will hold the ship. If not a CCL tour they will not hold the ship, just something to think about

Just got back from Jamaica we did the tubing thru the ship because it was same price and was thru chukkah. There are a couple places to do zip linning 1 is up by bobsledding and if a lot of ships are in I don't recommend it, because it gets crazy up there and we heard people saying they never got to go because it was over booked.

If your husband is interested in seeing what the tubing is like we had a gopro on the river. We enjoyed it.

Just an FYI if you book your trip thru carnival and your tour is late coming back they will hold the ship. If not a CCL tour they will not hold the ship, just something to think about

We actually JUST want to do the zip lining and specifically through Chukka because it looks like they have the best course. There is an excursion like satbeachbill states is the canopy tour and you are transferred back to the ship via Chukka Cove Farm..... does this mean it is through chukka? how could i know forsure. I spoke with carnival today and they were no help at all.